LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the scoop..(I didn't know where else to post this, this seemed the most logical place)

In the past, i've always reset my DIC when I fill up. When it says 17.0 gal used, that means I've literally used that much because, when I fill up, I use 17 gallons worth of gas if not more.

I took the car in last week to get the rear end whine fixed. It was there for 3 days. I left the car at 16.3 gal used. They gave me the car back with 17.1 gal used. So I said "Sweet, gotta go fill up". Went to the Marathon gas station, sat there and the gas pump stopped pumping at 14 gallons! I'm like "No way, I know I need more gas.." so I kept pumping click at a time, and decided okay fine, we'll test it. Sure enough, as I hit 14 gallons used, my needle was on "E" and I was damn near empty. So that proves my theory that the gas tank did not fill up all the way.

So I go to the gas station to fill up, same exact thing happens, the gas pump stops at just over 14 gallons, and infact I click the gas pump so many times by hand that it starts kinda bubbling over the spout...i'm really confused here. I know in the past i've filled up more than this, i've filled up less frequently than this, and i've also gone alot further because obviously I had more gas in the car. Could they have done something at the dealer? Could this be something wrong? Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance guys!

·
Suffering Fools
15,298 Posts
If your car is parked on an incline (front higher than rear) it won't take a full tank.

If you park on a decline or on level ground, it will.

Don't ask me why.

·
Part of the Raider Nation
261 Posts
Some gas stations have put a limit on credit card use. I tripped out a couple of times when the pump would stop, but my tank was not full. Took me a couple of times to realize that the pumped stopped @ $50.00 each time.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Car was parked level on both occasions, and I have broke the $50 mark plenty of times at gas stations with my credit card. Don't take it personally guys, but I doubt two random gas stations almost 100 miles apart would have the same issue, but thats just me.

Personally I think something is wrong, but that could also be me. I just know i'm not able to fill up to 17 gallons period like i'm used to.

I know this sounds funny but could the rear-end work have anything to do with the tank? Maybe a gas line or something getting pinched?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Ihave found that mine won't fill up all the time either......

·
Part of the Raider Nation
261 Posts
Silver Ecstasy said:
Car was parked level on both occasions, and I have broke the $50 mark plenty of times at gas stations with my credit card. Don't take it personally guys, but I doubt two random gas stations almost 100 miles apart would have the same issue, but thats just me.

Personally I think something is wrong, but that could also be me. I just know i'm not able to fill up to 17 gallons period like i'm used to.

I know this sounds funny but could the rear-end work have anything to do with the tank? Maybe a gas line or something getting pinched?
I have found that it is only certain gas stations though as most of the time I have no problem.

·
GTO Owner since 8/31/06
59 Posts
Silver Ecstasy said:

Something similar happens to me. On a full tank I drive to work. It costs $11.00 round trip. I get back home,try to fill up. It just clicks. I manage to get $2.00. I can't fill up until it get to 1/2 tank. There is something in the tank that keeps you for topping off. That's my theory

·
LS1 GTO
234 Posts
Sometimes mine will shut off before it's full. It will keep clicking off, but if I mess with the position of the nozzle in the filler hole (either push it in farther or pull it out) I can usually get it to go more.

Rob

·
Got Zydrate?
2,450 Posts
WOW 8 posts and nobody suggested to use the "Search" feature since this is a very well documented feature of the GTO.

I think it's a record of some sort:gr_jest:

·
My 1st GOAT
14 Posts
I have had that same thing happen to me too, and I just removed the pump from my car, and re-inserted it and it did fill it up. I have done this on 2-3 occasions and it seems to work for me. Hope it helps

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mine does the same thing. my computer will say that I have about 20 miles left and when I go to fill the car I never can get more than 15 gallons into the tank. Kind of wierd.

·
Hold on, we're goin for broke
1,499 Posts
This happens to me alot, the pump handles vary wherever you go. What works for me is I use the slowest setting on the handle and when it stops I manully pump it by hand(bearly squezzing the handle) thats how I get the thing full. I tried all sorts of crap by turing the handle in different directions nothing, the method I use takes forever but I get my tank full.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ross said:
WOW 8 posts and nobody suggested to use the "Search" feature since this is a very well documented feature of the GTO.

I think it's a record of some sort:gr_jest:
I tried and didn't find anything, could you post the findings?

·
It's simple physics
3,733 Posts
buckss said:
Something similar happens to me. On a full tank I drive to work. It costs $11.00 round trip. I get back home,try to fill up. It just clicks. I manage to get $2.00. I can't fill up until it get to 1/2 tank. There is something in the tank that keeps you for topping off. That's my theory

Evil spirits from Australia...

LR

·
Registered
14,990 Posts
3 o'clock is the easiest flow. Take a look at the hose and how it is routed.

You can see why position matters. High gas tank + relitively sharp turn.

I have a few pumps local that hate my car though... like the one at the grocery store (figures since they give "points" for gas discounts, 10 cents off fill up for every $100 you spend in the store, culmulative)

It is possible to have a kinked tube or the Evap vent is hosed (smell gas in car typically) there has been a few cases of that.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Ahh I see. I will say that usually, I park the car just past the pump and the gas pump, but these past two times I had to park almost parralel with the pump.

The only weird part about it is, I'll keep clicking it to keep gas in there, and some gas is bursting out of the spout where the gas filler is, as if its full, and when I pull the pump out it'll kinda spill up a tiny bit, giving me the idea its full to the absolute max, when its not.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Flashpoint said:
It is possible to have a kinked tube or the Evap vent is hosed (smell gas in car typically) there has been a few cases of that.

Well today and yesturday i've noticed a foul, burning smell coming from inside the car...I wonder huh..

·
Got Zydrate?
2,450 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well then..lol I am definitely not searching properly lol! Thanks for the one with the TSB's, that was helpful atleast!

I just don't know how i'm going to get them to fix it or even duplicate the issue.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts