LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, if you read through the threads you'll find out that the gear oil of choice is Torco. And their additive too. Well I decided to test that theory. This car isnt my only vehicle so if my theory was incorrect, I'll just order some Torco and change it out. I went to walmart. Bought the cheapest synthetic gear lube they had (which actually tested out what and what with redline) and to add to it, I used the thinner variety being 75w90. I then went to oreilly and bought some Lubegard additive. Added half the 4oz bottle and then filled the gear oil up. Drove around for about three hours. I made circles, u turns, cruising and a bunch of full throttle hits. The diff is quieter than it was. It used to make a slight whine at a certain speed although you really had to listen for it. Now its dead quiet. Its going on an out of state trip this weekend. If I end up having any issues, I'll report back. But so far, its perfectly silent and both wheels spin like they should.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The one for motor oil? Or is there a gear oil specific review?

I'm more interested to see how well the two oils perform at 250-260F.
ahhh yes. you are right. I was watching a motor oil one. I did buy motor oil too. my bad. Still doesnt make noise tho. lol

·
Registered
533 Posts
ahhh yes. you are right. I was watching a motor oil one. I did buy motor oil too. my bad. Still doesnt make noise tho. lol
Cool, I'd be interested to hear how this goes long term. I'm pretty sure my car has GM stuff after the diff was replaced under warranty (30-40k miles, can't remember, I'm now at about 95k). I was thinking about doing the Redline 75w140DS (non-LS) and adding the Torco Type F modifier when I do get around to changing the diff fluid.

Project Farm did a bunch oils. I'm impressed with how well the Amazon full synthetic and the Walmart stuff performed compared to the old standby/factory fill Mobil 1. For my non-track duty cars I might consider switching to those.

·
Registered
533 Posts
What do you use? Amsoil?
No I can't get on board with that, MLM and all.

I use a mix of 5w30 and 10w40 Redline. And I added an oil cooler. I do track events so the car is being driven pretty hard for 20 minutes straight, most of the time the other cars out there try to keep it below 255-260F, 270 and above is getting a little sketch. Supposedly Redline is supposed to maintain viscosity at high temps better than others, so I'm going to stick with it and see how it goes for now.

·
Registered
182 Posts
No disrespect intended,

But isn't the friction modifier based on type of Posi unit in car?
Diff fluid heat ? Anybody know OEM spec?, Also with Mods? Useage? Ratio? Tires? Mfg of Gears and Pos and lastly Diff cover (some increase fluid amount and cooling)?

I am gunna rebuild my Diff with 3.73 Dana-Spicer and Tru-Trac posi, was thinking of putting Temp sensor / sender in bottom because have not found recommendation of temps / fluids with all the variables taken into account. I know synthetics can withstand more heat than normal lubes.

Ketchup, some like Heinz, some like Hunts. I like both above all others. Neighbor borrowed Ketchup from me, when he gave new bottle back it was neither type I like and I told them to keep it and the reason why. Also told them not to bother borrowing from me again. He was back 15 minutes later with bottle of Heinz and Hunts, He apologized and said: "I have borrowed a lot of stuff from you before (tools, food etc) and you save me a trip to store".

SDD = Spirited Daily Driver 0-60
:love:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm changing my diff fluid this weekend. With so many people on this website saying Torco and Type F friction modifier, I had to listen and do the same. I'm sure it'll be great.

·
Freedom Fighter
744 Posts
So, if you read through the threads you'll find out that the gear oil of choice is Torco. And their additive too. Well I decided to test that theory. This car isnt my only vehicle so if my theory was incorrect, I'll just order some Torco and change it out. I went to walmart. Bought the cheapest synthetic gear lube they had (which actually tested out what and what with redline) and to add to it, I used the thinner variety being 75w90. I then went to oreilly and bought some Lubegard additive. Added half the 4oz bottle and then filled the gear oil up. Drove around for about three hours. I made circles, u turns, cruising and a bunch of full throttle hits. The diff is quieter than it was. It used to make a slight whine at a certain speed although you really had to listen for it. Now its dead quiet. Its going on an out of state trip this weekend. If I end up having any issues, I'll report back. But so far, its perfectly silent and both wheels spin like they should.
I have seen some issues on here with people using 75w-90. It should be 75w-150. I used valvoline synthetic. It is pretty cheap and has additives already in it. I thought about the supertech but it didnt mention slip additives.

·
Freedom Fighter
744 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,713 Posts
Is your point that 150w is too high or 90w is too low?
neither.

i personally think you're better off running crisco than torco, and 150w isn't the recommended gear oil anyhow.

any regular 85w140 GL5 is perfectly fine, as long as it doesn't have any premixed friction modifier, allowing you to add your own ford-type, such as motorcraft xl3 or torco type f.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts