LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Freedom Fighter
745 Posts
neither.

i personally think you're better off running crisco than torco, and 150w isn't the recommended gear oil anyhow.

any regular 85w140 GL5 is perfectly fine, as long as it doesn't have any premixed friction modifier, allowing you to add your own ford-type, such as motorcraft xl3 or torco type f.
I meant 140. Torco is 85w-140 and most run it with type F. Not sure why you say crisco is better.

·
Premium Member
36,094 Posts
I meant 140. Torco is 85w-140 and most run it with type F. Not sure why you say crisco is better.
i kinda figured you meant 140. as for torco, it's just my personal opinion. i think it's viscosity at temp is needlessly high, and have read (but have no proof or verification) that it doesn't have a lot in terms of anti-foaming additives, which is bad with a gear oil.

i haven't heard of too many people having issues with it, however. at the very least the high film strength from the thicker than usual viscosity must help. i'd rather not have the added drag on the internals if i can help it, and have something that flows better when cold.

·
Freedom Fighter
745 Posts
i kinda figured you meant 140. as for torco, it's just my personal opinion. i think it's viscosity at temp is needlessly high, and have read (but have no proof or verification) that it doesn't have a lot in terms of anti-foaming additives, which is bad with a gear oil.

i haven't heard of too many people having issues with it, however. at the very least the high film strength from the thicker than usual viscosity must help. i'd rather not have the added drag on the internals if i can help it, and have something that flows better when cold.
Gotcha, what do you use? When I changed mine last year or the year before the valvoline synthetic, the stuff i dumped out was pretty nasty and foamy. I probably had 80k on the car at the time and had it changed somewhere around 40k by a shop that supposedly used the gm fluid and modifier. Never noticed any problems and was just changing proactively.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Super tech is still working fine in mine. Went to Mississippi in it and put about 500 miles on it since Friday. Yea. We were staying an hour away from cruising the coast activities. I drove back and forth several times. Cruised around. And drove back. I used two tanks of fuel total. Averaged 17mpg including city and interstate driving. It averages 20-22 on the interstate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just changed the rear differential oil on my 2005 GTO and installed the Torco 85W140 and the Torco Type F friction modifier. All seems to be okay so far.
This is the first change of the oil in the differential for my GTO as I only have 48k miles. But, the differential seems to have a very slight whine which has gone silent after the oil change.

What was really disturbing is the differential had a little less than 1 1/2 qts from the factory. I do not have any leaks, so they must have skimped on the diff oil at the factory ;)

Michael

·
Freedom Fighter
745 Posts
I just changed the rear differential oil on my 2005 GTO and installed the Torco 85W140 and the Torco Type F friction modifier. All seems to be okay so far.
This is the first change of the oil in the differential for my GTO as I only have 48k miles. But, the differential seems to have a very slight whine which has gone silent after the oil change.

What was really disturbing is the differential had a little less than 1 1/2 qts from the factory. I do not have any leaks, so they must have skimped on the diff oil at the factory ;)

Michael
I think only 1.6 quarts fit in there so that's not too bad. Is that about what you put in?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think only 1.6 quarts fit in there so that's not too bad. Is that about what you put in?
I added 58 ounces of oil including the 2 ounces of friction modifier. So that is about 1.8 quarts of oil.
The oil I took out filled one quart and then 12 additional ounces in another bottle. So a total of 44 ounces of oil was removed.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Super tech is still working fine in mine. Went to Mississippi in it and put about 500 miles on it since Friday. Yea. We were staying an hour away from cruising the coast activities. I drove back and forth several times. Cruised around. And drove back. I used two tanks of fuel total. Averaged 17mpg including city and interstate driving. It averages 20-22 on the interstate.
I figure any new oil is better than old oil.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts