35,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, this is the ebay diff.

i can see no gear pattern, on drive or coast side. :dunno:

i've also noticed this thing is hard as smurf to turn over. :mrrg:

·
1 of 40,757
6,226 Posts
I'm no expert but I'm guessing that's why a lot of people complained about these rear ends. :gto_rage:

·
Premium Member
35,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i hope the gears on the ebay diff aren't ruined. they are the aus 3.91's. :mrrg:

at the very least, the truetrac is probably still good.

·
4,313 Posts
use less marking compound, just light brush on.
load the pinion with your gloved hand, turn the ring gear. You need a good load on the pinion to get a good pattern mark.

I think you aren't getting a good read cause you are just turning the pinion with no load and you got way too much compound on there

·
Premium Member
35,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
use less marking compound, just light brush on.
load the pinion with your gloved hand, turn the ring gear. You need a good load on the pinion to get a good pattern mark.

I think you aren't getting a good read cause you are just turning the pinion with no load and you got way too much compound on there
wife turned the pinion yoke while i was pressing rather hard with a rag on the ring gear. i did it that way with all three differentials above. i did the 3.91 multiple times and could never get a reading.

i'll try it the way you describe above instead, and i'll use a much lighter brushing on there, but it wasn't any heavier than the other two.

·
Premium Member
35,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that aside, how do the first two look? or would you want me to go back and redo all three of them with a lighter brushing of compound?

·
Premium Member
35,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
from what I can tell, first one looks the best. 2nd appears to be pretty deep, wasn't shimmed correctly from factory
so the 2nd one has an issue with pinion depth, not backlash. got it.

i should hopefully have a better reading on the 3rd today.

·
Premium Member
35,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
well, new pics aren't much better.

from what i could gather from the used parts place i bought it from, the gears were reinstalled into another case before they were sold. so, there is some hope here. perhaps the gears are fine, and weren't actually ran the way they are set up currently.

as you can see, drive side looks like it has barely any contact, i can't make out any pattern. coast only has a little pattern right at the heel.

those little hash marks are from the brush. i spread it as thinly as i could, and brushed it that way delibrately so i can see where the pinion teeth even slightly swiped the ring teeth.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
there's not much perceptable backlash when i turn the pinion yoke. like, none. and a lot of resistance until it starts to turn.

i really think the pinion depth is super far off on this thing. it seems like it's only making contact on the very edge of the gear teeth.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts