LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read all the posts about gears but can't find out what I want to know. What's the spline count and pinion Diameter? I know it's 8.5" and I think it's a 10 bolt. I'm thinking about some 3.91 gears for the Goat? Anybody know? Thanks!

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
I personally think 3.90s would be too much. I had them in my Z06 and got tired of them and the shortness of 1st gear. If I were to do gears again I would go with 3.73s max with the T-56. Just to give you an idea of how it would compare to other cars. Check out this table I put together when I had the Vette.

http://www.shagfinger.com/ratios.htm

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
I got my old gears at home. When I get off I will check for everyone the tooth count on both the pinion and gear.
And I would like to say with the 3.90 gears, 2nd gear is way too short.

·
Sewell Pontiac
300 Posts
Who is selling gears and is 3.90 the next step up for the GTO's rear end or do they have 3.73s available?

·
Registered
588 Posts
GTOJ said:
Who is selling gears and is 3.90 the next step up for the GTO's rear end or do they have 3.73s available?
If there is enough interest, I can order gears from the company that supplies Holden in 3.46, 3.73 and 3.91. Maybe a group purchase that includes any of these three ratios???

Let me know how serious the interest is and, assuming the demand is there, I will pursue pricing and an ETA.

Jim

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
If their was a group purchase i'd probley go in.

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gravana Jim said:
If there is enough interest, I can order gears from the company that supplies Holden in 3.46, 3.73 and 3.91. Maybe a group purchase that includes any of these three ratios???

Let me know how serious the interest is and, assuming the demand is there, I will pursue pricing and an ETA.

Jim
I'd be intersested as well.

BillyGoatGruff said:
And I would like to say with the 3.90 gears, 2nd gear is way too short.
Do you regret the 3.90 like shag does?
What kind of rpm do you turn @ say 80?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Depending on price, I'd also be interested. I think the A4 needs a little help moving this tub. It would be nice if they could do a package with the installation kit too.

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
No regrets at all with the 3.90 gears. I just know from before I changed the gears that the 2nd gear in these trannies were real short. With the gear change it makes it even shorter.
As for RPMs, at about 80 in 6th gear I am just over 2200. Not bad. 80 in 5th gear is a tad bit steeper and is a little over 3000. Don't have specific numbers of the top of my head but when cruising at 80 these are about were the tach is.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
I think a set of 3.73's would be kind of sweet. Put me on the list.

Anyone in the IL area know of a good rear end guy? (Huntress, be nice :D)

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
sxty8goats said:
I think a set of 3.73's would be kind of sweet. Put me on the list.

Anyone in the IL area know of a good rear end guy? (Huntress, be nice :D)
im not gonna touch this one with a 10 foot clown pole. RD might have to close the thread if it got goin :) :p

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
In Jupiter Florida, there was a born-again christian-named Bill (I think it was Bill) that everyone on the East Coast would go to. There was nobody that could do gears or transmissions like this guy. And he worked cheep because he beleived in a god that didn't like greed. For those of you in that area, he is near the hospital, I think it is Tony Penia drive.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I'm interested in 3.73's for my A4. Keep us posted, please.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Lumina ss said:
The ratio of choice downunder is 3.91, standard in the HSV GTS it'll give you 1850 in 6th at 62mph, and 1st is still usable.
Is that for Manual, Auto, or both?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Lumina ss said:
The ratio of choice downunder is 3.91, standard in the HSV GTS it'll give you 1850 in 6th at 62mph, and 1st is still usable.
Someone else from oz land posted a while back to go with the 3.73, not the 3.91.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have located the manufacturer and I have requested pricing, quantities, freight logistics, etc. I don't want to guess at the ETA, but will post it all here when it arrives.

Jim

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
I'm interested in this as well. It's high time for some moddin' action!

EDIT
Hey Jim - has there been any more action on those blacked out taillights?

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
JayStew said:
What's the spline count and pinion Diameter? QUOTE]

The pinion gear has 13 teeth and the ring gear has 45 teeth. This is for the stock 3.46 gears. Sorry it took me so long but had to dig out the old gears. How would one measure the pinion diameter? It is a tapered gear, measure across the top of the gear or the bottom of the gear?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts