LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like I'll have some extra cash when I get my new cam and I'm trying to decide which is the better bang for the buck. Should I get 3.91s? Or a FAST intake with 90mm TB? Looks like either one will end up costing about $1k.
The car is an '04 GTO M6 and will have headers, cat back, CAI, cam, pulley and tune.
Which one will give the bigger performance increase?
Jay

·
Semper Fi
4,857 Posts
if you ever plan on adding a supercharger or N20.... you wont want the 3.91s if you spend any time at the 1/4 mile. You'll run out of gear before you hit the traps.

the FAST definately helps the cam breath better..

Take a look at your long term goals..that might help you make a decision.

·
Semper Fi
4,857 Posts
jcain said:
he's got a 6spd, different ball game smitty
:slap:

same ball game, different players.

5th gear is not an optimal gear for 1/4..which is what he'll be shifting into with 3.91s on spray/FI

·
Eco Friendly
3,762 Posts
JayinAZ said:
The car is an '04 GTO M6 and will have headers, cat back, CAI, cam, pulley and tune.
Jay - looks like you are leaving the stock LS1 heads, so you'll need a little less airflow there. What are the specs of the camshaft? (Duration @ 50, lift, LSA) Staying with stock LS1 (241) heads, unless you are going to a really large camshaft, I don't see the FAST 90 combo giving you much over the LS6 setup.

Also - LT headers, mid, or shorties?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The cam will either be the AZPS01 or 02. (Maybe Smitty can e-mail me the dyno graph I requested from the 01 cam on an LS1 :) ) I went for a ride in an LS1 GTO 6-speed with the 02 cam and it had lots of power up top but I want more off the line power too! So I was thinking about the smaller AZPS01 "torquer" cam but I can't find anyone with one to give me their opinion on it.
I am staying with stock heads and don't plan to change them. I will have LT headers with cats, already have a magnaflow catback and CAI. An underdrive pulley is cheap enough when the cam gets done so I'll do that too, and of course the tune.
I have no plans of FI or NOS.
I just want to get everything done at the same time and it looks like I will have about another $1k to spend than I originally thought.
Smitty- Will gears and install be about $1k? Probably less, right? for the nice guy/cam/header/gear combo package?
I just want to go faster from the stop light, 0-60 and very rarely in the 1/4. When I got 4.10's in my '00 TA, it made a very noticeable difference and that's what I'm looking for.
Help me out.
Thanks everyone.
Jay

GTO_Scott said:
Jay - looks like you are leaving the stock LS1 heads, so you'll need a little less airflow there. What are the specs of the camshaft? (Duration @ 50, lift, LSA) Staying with stock LS1 (241) heads, unless you are going to a really large camshaft, I don't see the FAST 90 combo giving you much over the LS6 setup.

Also - LT headers, mid, or shorties?

·
da slow kid of the bunch
3,885 Posts
Smitty's05GTO said:
:slap:

same ball game, different players.

5th gear is not an optimal gear for 1/4..which is what he'll be shifting into with 3.91s on spray/FI
really hmm I dont use 5th.. 4th at 6500 threw the traps :gears:

·
What's in your wallet?
1,784 Posts
Smitty's05GTO said:
if you ever plan on adding a supercharger or N20.... you wont want the 3.91s if you spend any time at the 1/4 mile. You'll run out of gear before you hit the traps.

the FAST definately helps the cam breath better..

Take a look at your long term goals..that might help you make a decision.
Smart response.........:)

·
JJHmoney
50 Posts
Jayinaz,
Ive got the AZPS01 cam in my 05 A4 I would be glad to answer any questions you might have about it. The cam combined with the torque convertor will get you out of the hole quick!

·
Objects in mirror dont matter
3,777 Posts
jjhmoney said:
The cam combined with the torque convertor will get you out of the hole quick!
HE HAS AN M6 for the 3rd time in this thread.

Don't listen to the AZPS salesman selling an overpriced 15hp FAST intake when your stated goals are:
JayinAZ said:
I have no plans of FI or NOS.... I just want to go faster from the stop light, 0-60 and very rarely in the 1/4. When I got 4.10's in my '00 TA, it made a very noticeable difference and that's what I'm looking for.
Help me out.
Thanks everyone.
Jay
You are screaming for the gears, you just don't know it. Smitty is a drag only racer pimping a profitable item (with easier install) which may give you 15 hp on a stock set of heads and a cam.
Gears are for exactly what you say you want. Better around town acceleration off the lights, up hills, and rarely the 1/4 mile race.
I have need for a FAST with my cam and heads...you don't.
If I was starting over again because I wrecked my car and was doing a new M6, 3.91s would be the first mod. Before LTs, before a cam, etc.
The gears make the entire car totally different, and with the weight of the GTO, it is the ultimate first mod.
Best seat of the pants and grin going for the $.

Smitty, just cause you have a sponsors hat doesn't mean you should steer people right into a 15 hp mod that ain't right for him and his STATED goals.
For once, I agree with jcain, and think you should leave us drivers alone. Not everybody is afraid to turn or wants the ultimate N2O straightliner. This from me with over 100 passes on my M6 3.91.
4th gear is good to 117 on a 3.91 at 6k rpm, and he will be leaving 3rd anyway at 93mph @6k in the 1/4 anyway with stocker 3.46. Better to spend some time in higher rpm range in 4th than just hit it for a second and trap at lower rpm. 3.91s will have him crossing his setup at an ideal rpm, but he even says RARELY 1/4 mile racing. Note, if he was to beef the valve springs and go for bigger cam and a 6700rpm shift on stock diameter tires, 4th good to 132 mph, and who trapping 130s is on 245/17s? Do the math!
BTW, M6+ 3.91=half a second in the 1/4 mile with DRs easy.

·
Resident Audio/Video Nut
734 Posts
I don't even need to think for that answer 3:91's or a FAST intake for your current setup :judge: 3:91's for sure!!! you don't have enough mods yet for the fast intake to make that BIG of a difference, Hell your stock intake isn't as bad as most people will leed you to believe. It actually will flow pretty good until you through a really BIG cam in (240+/240+) if you want better results do a cam before changing your intake because your stock cam isn't even close to out flowing your stock intake flow ability's.

Just like Swampgoat said I also would do and did the 3:91's as a first mod to the car! it's still the funnest mod to the car yet next to the S/C of course.:gears:

3:91's keeps most gears in a usable POWER range better and more often than did the stock 3:42's.

Brian

·
It was a...
2,322 Posts
3.91s now, intake and TB with h/c/exhaust later

JayinAZ said:
I just want to go faster from the stop light, 0-60 and very rarely in the 1/4. When I got 4.10's in my '00 TA, it made a very noticeable difference and that's what I'm looking for.
Help me out.
Thanks everyone.
Jay
Going on this section, I'd definately do the gears before the intake and TB, then do those when / if you can spring for heads and exhaust at the same time. Ran into a couple of GTOs and some other poor folks who underestimated the bolt-ons + 3.91s in real-world application. :gr_devil: Later I added the h/c setup on a bone stock intake manifold and TB and having lots o' fun now! (See links in signature...) I'm not really a 1/4 mile guy either and I really enjoy the way the 3.91s brought the car to life out and about - and I picked up a small MPG increase too. So 3.91s FTW in my book!:thumbs:

Also, welcome to the forum!

·
110% Stock... :D
2,085 Posts
JayinAZ said:
I am staying with stock heads and don't plan to change them.

I have no plans of FI or NOS.

I just want to go faster from the stop light, 0-60 and very rarely in the 1/4.

Thanks everyone.
Jay
3.91's for sure. With your goals and the other mods you are willing to do 3.91's will give you more bang for your buck. IMO

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What do you think about the 01 cam? What's your redline set at? What did it dyno? I would love to see a dyno graph with your mods! How's the down low torque?
Any video?
Where are you? I'm in Goodyear. I'd love to see and hear your car in person.
Jay

jjhmoney said:
Jayinaz,
Ive got the AZPS01 cam in my 05 A4 I would be glad to answer any questions you might have about it. The cam combined with the torque convertor will get you out of the hole quick!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unknown said:
3.91's for sure. With your goals and the other mods you are willing to do 3.91's will give you more bang for your buck. IMO
Can you guys do gears at the shop?
Was I close with my price?

"Smitty- Will gears and install be about $1k? Probably less, right? for the nice guy/cam/header/gear combo package?"

Jay

·
Objects in mirror dont matter
3,777 Posts
BlueFlyingGoat said:
Ran into a couple of GTOs and some other poor folks who underestimated the bolt-ons + 3.91s in real-world application. :gr_devil:
Oh yeah. I almost miss my bolt on 3.91 days. That was a perfect balance of kick ass and puttycat manners around town. stay in 3rd from 5-50mph, no strain. Idle chugging in stop and go traffic made easy as pie.
Best of all, kicking LS2 bolt on GTOs in the teeth without a single bolt removed on the engine...PRICELESS!
I love my H/C, but that was a nice setup before.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks for the info Brian. I guess 3.91's it is then. FAST seems very expensive for an intake. When I upgraded to an LS6 intake from the '98 LS1 intake on my TA, I think it was less than $300. Then again, gears were about 1/3 the price for the F-body and I'm sure the install is a lot easier too in an f-bod. Oh well.
I hope to get this done before Christmas now since I have been diligently saving.
Also, with a 6800 redline, in 4th gear with 3.91's, I will be going 131mph according to the gear calculator (with 235/40/18s). I doubt I'll be going over 131 in the 1/4. I wish I had that problem!!
Jay

06 TRed GTO said:
I don't even need to think for that answer 3:91's or a FAST intake for your current setup :judge: 3:91's for sure!!! you don't have enough mods yet for the fast intake to make that BIG of a difference, Hell your stock intake isn't as bad as most people will leed you to believe. It actually will flow pretty good until you through a really BIG cam in (240+/240+) if you want better results do a cam before changing your intake because your stock cam isn't even close to out flowing your stock intake flow ability's.

Just like Swampgoat said I also would do and did the 3:91's as a first mod to the car! it's still the funnest mod to the car yet next to the S/C of course.:gears:

3:91's keeps most gears in a usable POWER range better and more often than did the stock 3:42's.

Brian

1 - 20 of 26 Posts