LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have installed it can you post some pics and show what the problem and solution was.

A list of the materials (bends...) used would also be very useful.

I want to try to get the required materials in hand before getting started.

·
GTO...Austalian for Pontiac!
1,527 Posts
I have ordered the Dr. Gas pipe that T-wood first mentioned, as Martin and I discussed various approaches. The long term is likely a different pipe that is routed behind the manifold. This is the approach that we considered, and then found Synergy had gone that route.

I hope to have more info in a week or so...but, as I've mentioned, college football is starting. Four straight home games to start the season is going to compromise my time.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MTBDOC said:
I have ordered the Dr. Gas pipe that T-wood first mentioned, as Martin and I discussed various approaches. The long term is likely a different pipe that is routed behind the manifold. This is the approach that we considered, and then found Synergy had gone that route.

I hope to have more info in a week or so...but, as I've mentioned, college football is starting. Four straight home games to start the season is going to compromise my time.
Good info and I think I understand now. A few pics of how Rick routed the pipe would be very useful.

·
1,527 Posts
Look at the pics he posted. It really is quite obvious if you fit up the turbo on the manifold-extension; simply have the pipe head down and tuck in between the manifold and the block. There is plenty of room for the downpipe to exit medial to the steering linkage.

Pretty straightforward...but Martin wanted me to try this as well. I will report back. The frame clearance pipe is here: http://www.drgas.com/store/product.php?productid=3&cat=8&page=1

·
Supercharged and a Warranty
434 Posts
The driver side down tube that was supplied with the kit that I just installed had a 90* down turn at the end of it. Although the 90* was in the correct spot, you could not fit the round pipe through the opening between the exhaust manifold, frame, and steering column. I just took the tube to a buddy's exhaust shop and he was able to put it in his tube press and gradually step it down into an oval shape. Once this was done, we were able to fit the tube in and he just had to ovalize the mating tube that went to the catback.

·
1,527 Posts
Unfortunately that is a compromise to the exhaust flow of the turbo, and bad news for performance. It just was going to take way too much "smashing" to fit with compromised flow. That's why I'm going to use the Dr. Gas pipe.

·
Can you say Grouper?
721 Posts
MTBDOC said:
Unfortunately that is a compromise to the exhaust flow of the turbo, and bad news for performance. It just was going to take way too much "smashing" to fit with compromised flow. That's why I'm going to use the Dr. Gas pipe.

The oval shape is not any different than the frame clearance pipe. Wait till you have that pipe in your hands and you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Just for the "stupidity" of it...

Has anyone tried swapping the manifolds but putting them upside down? Exhaust outlets "up"...

Ed

EDIT: Just tried it with some shorty headers and reversed flanges... hits everything but the kitchen sink! Told you it was stupid. :D

·
Can you say Grouper?
721 Posts
EDC said:
Just for the "stupidity" of it...

Has anyone tried swapping the manifolds but putting them upside down? Exhaust outlets "up"...

Ed

EDIT: Just tried it with some shorty headers and reversed flanges... hits everything but the kitchen sink! Told you it was stupid. :D

I thought about that for a second and then thought it would be too stupid.

·
BOM - code for Metal Pumpkin
1,179 Posts
I searched, but couldn't find.. what's the coating on the down pipes? Thermal I assume?

·
1,527 Posts
And, as a follow up, I was not pleased with the lack of clearance available alongside the steering column. The frame clearance pipe that I bought is a 2.5 or 3" pipe that is smashed quite effectively, but starts off large enough not to compromise flow in our cars. Unfortunately there just isn't much room and I don't want to heat the steering joint nor rattle on it or the body...so we are going the other route.

Glad to see Martin has got the new pipe finished!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts