LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 375 Posts

·
Supercharged and a Warranty
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It began yesterday.
Took the LS7 out of the crate and got it on an engine stand. It will be going in the 2005 GTO that is in the background.

In a couple of hours, the LS7 looked like this:

I had to disassemble the motor to remove the crank. Tomorrow, it gets sent out to Thunder Racing to have the reluctor ring changed so I can use as much of the GTO harness as possible. The cylinder heads, intake, and throttle body are off to porting already. The stock camshaft will be replaced with a grind yet to be chosen.

Today, I got the LS2 out and started looking at the other modifications that need to take place. Looks like the oil tank will need to be modified/fabricated to fit where the battery used to be. The oil pan is going to need some modifications too. It needs to clear the rack in the rear and will have to go with a remote filter location to clear the pinion on the steering rack. The sump on the oil pan will have to remain in the existing location (centered) as all the oil passages are cast into the oil pan itself. Because of this, the crossmember will need some serious re-work. I'll have to notch it a good amount and re-enforce it like my 3rd gen F-Body when I put a Steff's oil pan on it. I will post more pics as things change. If anybody wants to see pics of any of the components, let me know and I will post them up. If anybody has any good tech advise, that too is welcome.
More later, just thought you guys might be interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
That looks soooo mean...Can't wait to see what it looks like when finished....gl man....post when you can.

·
Because race car
2,835 Posts
Let's just say that you are my hero.

Not only did you drop the $$ for a new LS7, but you are slapping it in the face and saying "I WANT MORE".

Keep us all posted. You will probably be the only one ever to do this....but we will all be waiting by drooling.

:ftw:

·
Objects in mirror dont matter
3,777 Posts
Go Tom Go! This is gonna be a sweet ride. A major challenge to do, but in the end, awesome.

Gotta swing by the shop and take me a look-see.

·
not a pontiac its a HOLDEN !!
8,787 Posts
St.Mary said:

Not only did you drop the $$ for a new LS7, but you are slapping it in the face and saying "I WANT MORE".

Keep us all posted. You will probably be the only one ever to do this....but we will all be waiting by drooling.

:ftw:
i couldnt have said it any better :ftw: :ftw: :ftw: :ftw:

·
Its fast and fun.
892 Posts
Wow!!! that is wonderful! Like Swamp said, I've gotta get up there to see too!

·
Supercharged and a Warranty
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
mr.neon said:
nice:gears: what did the ls7 run you
The motor itself was $12.5K. But with all the other items that needed to go along with it, it was just shy of $17K.

St.Mary said:

I wish it was mine, but, unfortunately, it is a customer car. I was just the lucky one that Mrs Hookmechanic chose to do the conversion.

This is a very special car and a wish that is being realized. :patriot:
I almost feel like Chip Foose.

·
Objects in mirror dont matter
3,777 Posts
GTO1369 said:
This is a very special car and a wish that is being realized. :patriot:
I almost feel like Chip Foose.
:patriot: Special indeed:patriot:

When this is said and done, I would bet you & her will get a magazine article or two as well. Chip Foose wishes he could do this car.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
this shouldve been offered from GM. you the man! :patriot:

·
smurfin' fly-by...
1,482 Posts
^^^^ x3!

·
peeeel'n
434 Posts
Is there a way that one could modify / plumb the GTO pan for dry sump to avoid cutting the car?

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
Sweet and all, but a ? for ya??? How is this going to be controlled? I mean computer that is? And what ever you guys do to make this work, will all the GTO functions work??? i.e. gauges, DIC and so on...

1 - 20 of 375 Posts