LS1GTO Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
BOM - code for Metal Pumpkin
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not here to start a this kit is better than that kit, etc. I'm just curious and would like to get some feedback. Looking at the recent dyno from the APS kit ~610rwhp, I'm amazed. I've pretty much been sold on the GenTT due to price point and am waiting for the kinks to be worked out, but I've only seen #s as high as ~475rwhp. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Ho's b4 Bro's
2,148 Posts
Both kits haven't really been completely sorted out by actual customers yet. Loboost is coming close, but he also has lowered cr and a cam setup. Tanglewood has the GEN TT kit, and someone else too. That kit uses smaller turbos so dont' expect it to make the same power as the APS, IMO. But you'll still have gobs of incredible power.

·
Frantically Modding
4,458 Posts
I was sold on the Gen-TT but havent seen any substantial results. I hate to wait till Feb. '07 for the new "budget" APS kit. I will just start some supporting mods and see what plays out. TODD

·
New PB MPH - 127.54
2,376 Posts
The thing about that APS kit is that car isn't completely stock. I'm pretty sure he was aftermarket, lower compression heads.

But then again, I think Tanglewood does also.

Its just a waiting game until we get a car from each kit tuned and all the bugs figured out. I've still got my eye on the GenTT kit because of the supurb customer service and the potential to be an awesome kit.

·
New PB MPH - 127.54
2,376 Posts
The APS kit just scares me as to how you can easily cut $2000 off the price of a kit and sell this new budjet set up...

·
Registered
452 Posts
JayC'sG said:
I'm not here to start a this kit is better than that kit, etc. I'm just curious and would like to get some feedback. Looking at the recent dyno from the APS kit ~610rwhp, I'm amazed. I've pretty much been sold on the GenTT due to price point and am waiting for the kinks to be worked out, but I've only seen #s as high as ~475rwhp. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Yes many.

The APS kit is nice (really nice) but it cost more than double the Gen TT kit (I think I was quoted 11k without shipping). I read in the other post that the price is coming down in the next generation, but anyone with a brain knows why. The genTT kit is forcing the price down (which is good for everyone). The genTT has more hidden costs with some of the fab work that is required to get the downpipes hooked up... but that should eventually get worked out and it should be less than $500.

As far as 475rwhp goes, So far nobody has turned the boost up on a gen TT kit past 8psi (in the US), you simply won't make crazy power on low boost with those turbos. I think it has been proven that the kit is good for 550RWHP on a stock ls2 motor in AUS. If you are looking for more than that you probably don't want the genTT base kit (maybe the upgraded turbo version that is not out yet).

You have to make sure you are comparing apples to apples when looking at dyno graphs. A car with heads, cam, no cats... running at 13.0 on the dyno is going to naturally make a boat load more power than a totally stock car with cats and weak valve springs... Give the genTT more time (I know we are slow). It usually takes about 6 months before a DIY guy (who has a day job) gets a car dialed in.

·
Its not a real hemi
902 Posts
Both kits are the sexiest thing you can do to our cars right now, but I would have more confidence in the APS kit. It seems for complete then gentt and there is less cutting.

·
Former GTO owner
619 Posts
I like the looks of the APS kit better. Do you have to mount the battery in the trunk with this kit?

·
Former GTO owner
619 Posts
Due to the fact that it sounds like this kit is not available yet, is there any speculation as to what the price will be? I might need this! :turbonaug

·
New PB MPH - 127.54
2,376 Posts
mhoglund said:
Due to the fact that it sounds like this kit is not available yet, is there any speculation as to what the price will be? I might need this!
APS kit is supposed to be $5999 but comes with 60# injectors and a upgraded fuel pump. Not sure what shipping is, but it is about $400 for the other kit.

GenTT is $4900 SHIPPED ($4500 msrp) to your door, but still will require an upgraded fuel system. There is a sale running now at New Era (vendor on left) where you can buy a Walbro 255 Fuel pump and Motron 60# injectors for ~$518 with free shipping.

·
Former GTO owner
619 Posts
But with the APS kit, everything is bolt on right? Which means I wouldn't have to do an fabricating of any kind, which is what I want. People with the GenTT kit have had to do some fab work to get things to fit.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
6.0gto_noob said:
The APS kit just scares me as to how you can easily cut $2000 off the price of a kit and sell this new budjet set up...

thats because they have a markup, they can mark up 100% of what it costs them, the idea is to get money back for R&D and to make a profit.

·
Former GTO owner
619 Posts
If it comes out for $5999.00 with the fuel system upgrades I might have to get one.

·
New PB MPH - 127.54
2,376 Posts

·
Chronic Strut Rubber
939 Posts
They've explained it a number of times; they're using different, less expensive Mitsubishi turbochargers, and a new manufacturing process that has severely dropped the cost of production.
Ok, but can we expect this new manufacturing process to lower prices of the current kit? That way we have a more affordable price on a kit with the bigger ball bearing turbos that we all covet.

If APS lowered the price on the current kit I think they would make up the reduction in profit per kit by the increase in number of units sold.

·
sincitygoats.com
4,827 Posts
Hawkeye said:
Both kits haven't really been completely sorted out by actual customers yet. Loboost is coming close, but he also has lowered cr and a cam setup. Tanglewood has the GEN TT kit, and someone else too. That kit uses smaller turbos so dont' expect it to make the same power as the APS, IMO. But you'll still have gobs of incredible power.
Les's APS car is ~10:1cr. just like an ls1. He is on a Lingenfelter gt 2-3 cam and patriot heads.
Tanglewood is on a CUSTOM TAILORED turbo cam, and some BADDASS AFR heads way bigger than Loboost (les). So, in fact, Tanglewood's car should have made more power, using a "better" setup. But he fell WAY short of Loboost's initial runs. And, Loboost will be back with more fuel and more boost, real soon. We're just beginning to see why the APS kit is more money ;)

·
sincitygoats.com
4,827 Posts
it was in reply to hawkeyes post. he pointed out loboost was a heads cam car, but not that tanglewood was. these are loboost's first dyno runs. or you mean the 4psi and 7psi? if no one with a genTT has lowered their CR then it will be apples to oranges. you cant compare one car at 11:1 + 7psi h/c/e, vs a 10:1 + 7psi h/c/e. compression is a huge factor when accounting for boost.
If tanglewood can't manage more than 8psi, then that'll also show some effeciency differences.

·
Ho's b4 Bro's
2,148 Posts
Has Tanglewood dynoed his car yet? Orion4096 dynoed a bone stock engine with the GENTT at about 470rwhp, 540rwtq at 8 psi, but using stock valve springs that were obviously not up to the task.

·
sincitygoats.com
4,827 Posts
ok, we'll wait for tanglewood to start turning up the whick. im curious what loboost made at ~7psi

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.