LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well this install is taking way longer than expected. The main issue is that I have only been working on it after work and I’m loosing a ton of momentum from day to day. The other issue is that the kit just requires quite a bit of time to install. The revised kit should help improve the install time quite a bit.

I took yesterday off and knocked out a bunch of major stuff and figured I would post a few pictures of interest. I’ve got a bunch of pictures and plan on doing a full writeup at some point, so let me know if there is something specific you want to see.

Please pardon the dirt under the hood… This is a daily driver that has almost 20k on it and there is a bunch of construction on my daily commute (which really pisses me off). I’m going to clean up the entire engine bay before the install is done, but right now I’m just focused on getting everything fitted first.

First pic is of the car all torn down for surgery. (Unfortunately, it has been sitting like this for 3 weeks now)

This is a pic of the new drivers side downpipe I fabricated. It still needs the final tig welding, but I figured some people might want to see the routing. I’m sure this is very similar to what Street Tuner will be sending out with the revised kits and to current customers. I may end up using that one if turns out any better than mine.

This one shows how it is routed (if you were looking toward the back of the turbo).

This one shows it on the car. The clearance on the hard power steering line is a little tight, so I plan to move it to come up inside the alternator bracket.

This one is from the backside to show how it clears the steering shaft…(it exits to the left of the shaft with plenty of room).

This is the modified AC line. I made a little jig and it worked out perfect. I found a great shop that did the work for less than $60. BTW, if you are looking for a shop that can do this work for you look in the yellow pages for a place that rebuilds auto AC equipment. They are typically the only ones that can work with the aluminum lines.

You can see the line also provides for a handy way to keep the heater hoses pushed down and away from the heat of the j-pipe.

Another pic of the modified AC line.

And here are just a few pics of the turbos mounted.

I think I have all the major stuff behind me. The only big things left are the intercooler and figuring out how to clear the passenger foglight (or I could just wait for the new revised Pipe). After that, there will still be a lot of detail work getting all the wiring routed properly…

Installing this kit (about like any turbo setup) definitely requires some attention to detail. If you do it yourself (allow for a decent amount of time). If you have a shop do it, make sure they are very capable and willing to do it right (most shops don’t do well in situations where you have to think and take your time).

I’ll post more stuff soon.

·
New PB MPH - 127.54
2,376 Posts
Clean up that engine bay!

·
dum dum dum dum dudum
6,217 Posts
Coming along nicely. Are you going to coat the stock manifolds?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
A few more updated pics.

I did not make a ton of progress today. I spent most of the day catching up on some sleep and watching the Horns beat OU (that made my day!).

Anyway, I got the basics of the intercooler going. I did not want to cut up the intrusion bar, so I went with the intercooler slightly tilted back approach. I had to fabricate some brackets.. .to make it look OEM and maintain full durability, but it turned out real nice with plenty of clearance. So here are some of the pics.

Here is the PS cooler and AC drier… before any modifications. You can’t really see depth here, but the PS cooler is sticking way out and is totally in the way.

Here is how things looked after everything was moved to clear the intercooler.

Now for some details.

New AC drier bottle bracket.

New PS cooler bracket.

AC lines moved for clearance.

A pic showing clearance (taken from above with the intercooler mounted).

And a couple of pics with the intercooler mounted in position.

As you can see from the dirt in my engine bay, this car is no garage queen/weekend warrior. I drive the hell out of it, so I’m trying to take my time and make sure that everything is setup for rock solid reliability.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh4GTO said:
Coming along nicely. Are you going to coat the stock manifolds?
That is not in the short term plan, but I have an extra set that I may end up sending off for some swaintech coating. Right now I just can justify the cost.

My plan at this point is to clean them up with a wire wheel and then try to paint the visible areas (after some heating in the oven) LOL. Wife will love that. I will be putting the stock sheilds back on (after some cutting for clearance).

I'm probably going to wrap the jpipes and the downpipes, but I may run it for a bit without it to see how it does.

I've done lots of modding, FI, tuning... in the past, but this will be the first turbo car I have ever actually owned. So, I'm gong to be pretty much feeling it out.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Wow Britt,
Looks great! Cant wait to see it on the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts