LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'd like to get a spare key. My local dealer can't order a key by vin. I got a blank, but they can't copy it. They referred me to a local locksmith with a good reputation. They tried cutting a key and used several blanks with no luck. Best it would do is unlock the door, but it was never able to turn the ignition lock.

So what are you guys doing these days to get a spare key made?

Sorry if it's been asked recently - having no luck finding info.

UPDATE: I eventually found a dealer who could cut the key for me. He did it by the key code.

·
Registered
755 Posts
You would never be able to start the car with just your run of the mill key that you could get cut at Walmart.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm surprised the dealer can't get you squared away.

The fob is still good, correct?

Is it just the metal key that you're trying to cut?

Just detach the actual key from the fob, make a copy, and with the fresh key, you'll need a new fob, and use the re-programing sequence to match it to your BCM.

Originally posted by GM4life:

"Transmitter Programming
The transmitter may not communicate with the receiver if any of the following situations occurs:

- The transmitter battery wears down.
- The transmitter key has been replaced.
- The Body Control Module (BCM) has been replaced.
Perform the synchronizing procedure if the transmitter does not communicate with the receiver. If the transmitter and/or receiver are replaced, preform the following programming procedure:

Programming Transmitters Without Tech 2
- Turn the ignition to ON, then wait 10 minutes for the next step in the programming sequence.
- After the 10 minutes has elapsed, the car horn will chirp once. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position within 5 minutes after the horn has sounded, then to the ON position within 5 seconds after switching it OFF.
- Leave the key to the ON position for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes has elapsed, the car horn will chirp twice. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position within 5 minutes after the horn has sounded, then to the ON position within 5 seconds after switching it OFF.
- Leave the key to the ON position for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes has elapsed, the car horn will chirp 3 times.
- Verify that the security indicator in the instrument cluster has stopped flashing and attempt to start the vehicle.
- Turn the ignition to OFF and remove the key from the ignition switch.
- Move approximately 3 meters (10 ft) away from the vehicle and test the transmitter functions to validate that the transmitter has been programmed successfully."

·
Worthless reject member
40,447 Posts
I'd like to get a spare key. My local dealer can't order a key by vin. I got a blank, but they can't copy it. They referred me to a local locksmith with a good reputation. They tried cutting a key and used several blanks with no luck. Best it would do is unlock the door, but it was never able to turn the ignition lock.

that's all horsecrap.

find another dealer. the one you're going to is either small beans or they are too lazy/incompetent to help you.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cookmeup272: yeah, but this locksmith actually has a great reputation. no-go though.

forum poster: thanks for the programming instructions. I intend to do this after I get the key physically cut (or ordered through the dealer, if that's still possible)

Nothubertjfarnsworth: thanks. I'll try another dealer and see if it is still possible to order a key where they have it cut by the keycode and/or vin.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Your GM dealer should be able to do this for you. Like was said before, find another dealer. I live in a small town and our GM dealer was able to cut me a duplicate key.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your GM dealer should be able to do this for you. Like was said before, find another dealer. I live in a small town and our GM dealer was able to cut me a duplicate key.
Ok, I'll try another dealer. How long ago was it when you get a key?

·
Stock and Slow
95 Posts
the assumption a GM dealer can fix this (cut a GTO key) is not always true.
I bought my car used and had one key. I bought some blanks, and keyfobs. I got the keyfobs programmed by mobbing the key into each one... Then I called all the GM dealerships in my area *FIVE of them* and they kept finger pointing to goto each other. I got fed up and tried a locksmith everyone said to try... "We can cut you a key, it will cost 35 dollars and we can't guarantee it will work"

as a last resort I asked on a local car facebook page and someone said to try this locksmith in the ghetto area. I was skeptical but desperate. I went in around noon, the owner was not there but the counter person said he could probably do it but wasn't sure and to come back in 15 minutes when he got back from a call... *went for lunch* came back to lock smith, owner was there gave him my keys and he said hes done gto keys before but they can be tricky, hes had to cut keys for gto's hes had to repo as his side business. he cut a test blank he had, we tried it and it worked! he cut my two blanks and they both worked, he then gave me the key codes if I ever lost the keys. I said how much, he said 12 bucks. I said huh. then he said yep 12 bucks, AND you can keep the test blank that I cut. I gave him 30 dollars and said thank you for ending my frustration... and me being paranoid I made sure I didn't give my address to him, lol

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the assumption a GM dealer can fix this (cut a GTO key) is not always true.
I bought my car used and had one key. I bought some blanks, and keyfobs. I got the keyfobs programmed by mobbing the key into each one... Then I called all the GM dealerships in my area *FIVE of them* and they kept finger pointing to goto each other. I got fed up and tried a locksmith everyone said to try... "We can cut you a key, it will cost 35 dollars and we can't guarantee it will work"

as a last resort I asked on a local car facebook page and someone said to try this locksmith in the ghetto area. I was skeptical but desperate. I went in around noon, the owner was not there but the counter person said he could probably do it but wasn't sure and to come back in 15 minutes when he got back from a call... *went for lunch* came back to lock smith, owner was there gave him my keys and he said hes done gto keys before but they can be tricky, hes had to cut keys for gto's hes had to repo as his side business. he cut a test blank he had, we tried it and it worked! he cut my two blanks and they both worked, he then gave me the key codes if I ever lost the keys. I said how much, he said 12 bucks. I said huh. then he said yep 12 bucks, AND you can keep the test blank that I cut. I gave him 30 dollars and said thank you for ending my frustration... and me being paranoid I made sure I didn't give my address to him, lol
This feels like the path I've started to go down too. I'll call around some other local dealerships to see what they have to say. But it sounds like now that our cars are 11 to 13 years old (and no more Pontiac) certain things that were easy to obtain a few years ago are becoming scarce now.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I live in a small town and had a locksmith cut me a key late last year. Worked and when I asked him how much to program it he said $80 so I told him we had a DIY method and his comment was "Well you can take it home and try but I guarantee you it won't work. You'll be back to see me tomorrow." Worked like a charm but he was right on one thing, I went back the next day. Not to have him do it but to let him know it worked. He was surprised but cool about it and said he's cut a number of keys for GTO's over the years and no one had ever been successful self-programming one.

·
Vendor
599 Posts
You just have to keep calling dealers. We have probably 15-20 GM dealers in my area but only 1 or 2 have the key cutting machine to actually do it in store. Not all dealers have the machine to laser cut it. It takes a special machine. We sell plenty of blanks so it's possible.

It is frustrating though trying to find someone local.

·
GR-RRR!
5,686 Posts
I'm surprised the dealer can't get you squared away.

The fob is still good, correct?

Is it just the metal key that you're trying to cut?

Just detach the actual key from the fob, make a copy, and with the fresh key, you'll need a new fob, and use the re-programing sequence to match it to your BCM.
If all you are trying to do is cut the physical key, you don't need a new fob. If you have a fob that works with the car, a properly cut key blank will work with that fob. HOWEVER, if you are trying to make a spare or something, yes, you'll need a new fob.

Hell, I went to the largest local Chevy dealer and had a hard time getting a glovebox key made. They had to order in the blank and then it took them a few days to cut the thing to fit. Ridiculous for the one simple key the GTO uses. I mean, that key blank style was used by GM for years and years.

The GTO key is a freakin' abomination. What are we all going to do 20 years from now when the fobs are all worn out and GM no longer sells them?

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You just have to keep calling dealers. We have probably 15-20 GM dealers in my area but only 1 or 2 have the key cutting machine to actually do it in store. Not all dealers have the machine to laser cut it. It takes a special machine. We sell plenty of blanks so it's possible.

It is frustrating though trying to find someone local.
This.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If all you are trying to do is cut the physical key, you don't need a new fob. If you have a fob that works with the car, a properly cut key blank will work with that fob. HOWEVER, if you are trying to make a spare or something, yes, you'll need a new fob.

Hell, I went to the largest local Chevy dealer and had a hard time getting a glovebox key made. They had to order in the blank and then it took them a few days to cut the thing to fit. Ridiculous for the one simple key the GTO uses. I mean, that key blank style was used by GM for years and years.

The GTO key is a freakin' abomination. What are we all going to do 20 years from now when the fobs are all worn out and GM no longer sells them?
I'm good with the fob. Have a new one, ready to program the diy way.

It's getting the blank cut that's the issue. Will keep calling around... I'll let you guys know how I make out.

·
Worthless reject member
40,447 Posts

BCM delete.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
BCM delete.
This....one of these winters when I stop tearing the entire car apart. Let's face it. Key fob sucks, ignition sucks, keyless entry range sucks, 6 Disc CD Changer sucks, door lock actuators suck.... please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This....one of these winters when I stop tearing the entire car apart. Let's face it. Key fob sucks, ignition sucks, keyless entry range sucks, 6 Disc CD Changer sucks.... please correct me if I'm wrong.
check, check, check, check. Everything else is great though :burnout:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts