LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a spare key cut last summer, as my car only came with 1. Bought a fob off eBay, went to local dealer, done. They didn't even ask for VIN

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Based on everyones responses (thanks btw), seems like dealers are hit or miss for this. I'll keep trying next week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Getting key cut

I went through the same thing with trying to get the dealers to cut a key with no success, so I went another route and found a local locksmith who was able to get it cut precisely.

Turns out these keys need to be cut by a laser cutting machine and not all locksmiths have them VERY EXPENSIVE!! He was able to cut my keys in 10 mins with this machine for about $35 each. Both worked perfectly with my GTO and I did not have to reprogram the fobs.

The locksmith I went to was Arlington Lock Inc. in Arlington, VA and their website is http://arlingtonlockinc.com. I noticed you are in MA, but at least they can better explain the cutting machine used and where you can find a locksmith near your area. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just wanted to follow up on this... I did eventually find a dealer who could cut the key for me. He did it by the key code. So now I use the new key/fob and kept the old one as a spare. fob was easy to program with the diy 10+10+10 method.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts