LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking for a set of modified rear control arms. I called them to buy a pair and they said they doing build them anymore. So if someone has a set they picked up and decided to go a different route. Or if someone has a lime on a pair I would very much a appreciate it.

·
Seriously?
2,020 Posts
I would imagine that if one was going to minitub the car his or herself, or pay a shop to do it, having to modify the factory control arms shouldn't be much of an issue, right? I get the convenience of having ready to go parts on hand, but as stuff stops becoming available for the GTO, we're gonna have to think outside the box or scrap the plan all together.

I'll be happier than a pig in shit when I get my 285s on with hopefully minimal work after meticulous checking and correct spacer sizes to mimic perfect offsets.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
285 would be nice. But I will need a lot more tire then that. I got a darton sleeved 427 with a f1a94 procharger on it. I was able to put down 611 at the wheels in 104 deg heat. Plus I haven’t even leaned on it with timing or the pulley swap to max the blower out. So a mini tub is pretty much my only solution unless I turn it into a full on race car and do a full tub and straight axle it. I’m trying to keep it a real street car with A/C and all creature comforts.

·
Seriously?
2,020 Posts
Ue
285 would be nice. But I will need a lot more tire then that. I got a darton sleeved 427 with a f1a94 procharger on it. I was able to put down 611 at the wheels in 104 deg heat. Plus I haven’t even leaned on it with timing or the pulley swap to max the blower out. So a mini tub is pretty much my only solution unless I turn it into a full on race car and do a full tub and straight axle it. I’m trying to keep it a real street car with A/C and all creature comforts.
Yeah, I'd say the mini tub is the best solution for you. If you can't modify the lower control arms yourself, a chassis shop should be able to easily do it. Definitely wouldn't let that stop you tubbing it.

Reactions: bo06gto

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm looking at a mimitub myself. I was being a bad boy and looking at a 427 Warhawk block. Thinking I can live off of Torco. Do a nice 14:1 build. Do 2" primary AR headers and 3" catless pipes all the way back with loudmouth resonators. I can just feel the neighbors hate every time I start her up. 😂

·
Registered
605 Posts
These are not pictures of my car. They are just some pictures I saved in case I ever wanted to do this to my car. You will hit the dust cover on the shock about the same time you start to rub the control arm in most cases. Vikings do not have a dust cover which gives more clearance on the shock. The inner fender well will likely contact as well if you are hitting the control arm. I tuck 275/50/15's without modifying the fender lip with a 7 3/8" back space wheel. Plenty of people have gone way faster than any of us on that same size tire. I used a BFH on the inner fender well and did a small amount of grinding on the lip of the control arm.

If you want more than that and want to stay IRS you will need...mini tub, gforce coilover kit, and notched control arms...
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Grille

Tire Vehicle Wheel White Hood

Wheel Crankset Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire

Wood Gas Automotive tire Rim Metal

Wood Crankset Bicycle part Rim Automotive tire

Reactions: whippersnapper02

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
So I am looking for a set of modified rear control arms. I called them to buy a pair and they said they doing build them anymore. So if someone has a set they picked up and decided to go a different route. Or if someone has a lime on a pair I would very much a appreciate it.
Look up Ryan Oakes. He is doing modified control arms. I got mine from him. You will have to send him yours or a set from somewhere with the rear stubbs in. He does great work and is pretty fast as well

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I currently have 285/35/18 tires on the rear with just my cradle aligned and the fenders rolled.

·
Seriously?
2,020 Posts
I currently have 285/35/18 tires on the rear with just my cradle aligned and the fenders rolled.
Care to post tire and wheel details and pics?

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I have 19x10+56 C6 Z06 rear wheels that I had widened 1 inch with 325 30 19 tires

·
Seriously?
2,020 Posts
Nice. My fender roller showed up Monday. I got 285/35s on widened 18s.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts