LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've read through a couple of threads and didn't find a definitive way to install a wheel that has a working horn and no airbag faults. The last responses in the threads are from 2013.

Does anyone have info on what works?...images would be great too. I have the newest Gforce hub, NRG 3.0 quick release, and a steering wheel that I'd love to install with a working horn and no airbag lights, while maintaining the airbag system on the passenger side.

Canada, Miker, Sturdy, pharmdgto, Mikey340, and others have lead the discussion so far, which died down last year. I've seen a couple of adaptors in the F/S section over the past few months as well so maybe the guys in involved with those can chime in too.

As always, thanks for the help!

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432952&highlight=pharmdgto

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=456888

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526305

Here's Sturdy's picture of what we're working with

·
Registered
829 Posts
Possibly a stupid question because I have not physically seen the GTO wheel apart. But whats stopping you from getting the G Force hub and a GM airbag/wheel you like. Then drill matching holes in the wheel to bolt the adapter to the wheel? Im guessing you would have to find a wheel with enough metal to work with. Also how much further does the g force hub place the wheel from the dash?

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the gforce hub already. Not that I like another GM wheel, but there would be too much stuff to do to make that happen. I'm not sure how much closer the wheel will be to the driver, but I'd love to find out...with a working horn, passenger airbag, and no warning lights. There's an ebay vender selling a resistor kit for specific aftermarket wheels. Not car specific, so I messaged him. Hasn't gotten back to me yet.

This wheel is sitting on the family room table..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anyone tinkered with a steering wheel adaptor lately, and found a way with the airbag light issue?

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why the hell not.... Any info to share on this?

·
Registered
23 Posts
The 2.2 ohm resistor value people use on most other cars is working fine for me so far. I just used a cheap 1/4 watt 2.2 ohm resistor plugged into the yellow plug and no airbag light or other warnings after a handful of short drives for the last two days. You have to make sure it's making good contact though since the leads on the resistor are a little too small for the plug. I popped the back off the yellow airbag plug (there's little clips on the back - it's easy enough to pop the backing off and then you can see the contacts/capacitor that are inside the plug) and then I folded the resistor leads over the contacts and measured resistance with a multimeter to make sure it was making good contact before putting the back piece back onto the plug. You could also get a resistor with leads sized appropriately so that there's no need for any of that, but my setup is working so far so I'll probably just wrap it up with electrical tape and be done.

I guess the right way to do it would be to add an inline fuse as well or a higher wattage resistor in case the signal to deploy the airbag is sent to the resistor, but depending on your setup there's not a whole lot of room for that if you're keeping the clockspring/horn/etc.

I'm still waiting on a 1.5 inch spacer with a larger inside diameter so the Sparco horn will fit...plus the wheel I bought has a pretty shallow dish so I need the spacer to get the spacing right for the turn signal and wiper stalks anyways. Not really interested in the quick release setup so just going to use the cheap spacer assuming it all works.

·
Registered
45 Posts
First thing first; disconnect the battery, positive and negative and let it sit for at least one hour before messing with disconnecting airbag. Getting airbag blow up in your face would be no fun.

I just installed Momo Mod 8 steering wheel using NRG SRK-COMH adapter. Adapter came with nice resistor/fuse assembly for airbag. Maybe if you contact them, they'll sell you one?

Horn is easy enough to connect. One wire goes from horn button to ground and other one to original horn plug-in. Just need to find correct plug-in for horn. Try one at a time while pushing horn button. Helps to have battery re-connected for this occasion :)

Deep dish steering wheel with hub adapter and quick release will be spaced out too far from the turn signal and windshield wiper controls. I installed mine without quick release and its still little too far but ok. I actually prefer it not being too close when driving autocross to avoid accidentally hitting it. Why do you need quick release anyways? NRG does make thin version quick release.

·
Powdercoat all of it
104 Posts
Alright, I have issues, not hapay with gforce and their adapter. I installed the adapter with the clockspring and provided washer, but it still drags on the plastic shroud of the column. That's not my biggest issue, my biggest gripe is that while the bolt pattern fits a Momo, my steering wheel is 30 degrees off due to the momo vs nrg bolt orientation! No one seems to sell Adapters to turn the wheel 30 degrees, I guess they all assume you can just remove the splined adapter and turn it. Can't do that due to the clock spring!

So, guys with gforce adapter and Momo wheel, what did you do??? Gforce hasn't responded to my questions. I can't stand this wheel turned at 30 degrees.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts