LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
'04 645Ci
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people would be interested in a carbon fiber or fiberglass trunk without the spoiler and would you stil be interested if the cost were upward of $500?

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
jagular said:
How many people would be interested in a carbon fiber or fiberglass trunk without the spoiler and would you stil be interested if the cost were upward of $500?
How upward, how much weight savings, will it use stock hardware, is it complete or do we have to put that panel that's on the stock trunk (which the logos and license plate are mounted on) onto it? :)

·
'04 645Ci
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
phobos512 said:
How upward, how much weight savings, will it use stock hardware, is it complete or do we have to put that panel that's on the stock trunk (which the logos and license plate are mounted on) onto it? :)
Don't know. I'm gauging interest and trying to get a sense for what you're looking for. My thought is that this would be a fully functional, stock-looking (minus the spoiler) trunk lid. It could be in carbon fiber or fiberglass, so the weight savings would be pretty good. But, this could be expensive ($500+ for fiberglass and $800 for carbon)... Again, let me know.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
You should make mention of this thread in the Aftermarket Carbon Fiber Parts thread.

I think it would be cool to have a single piece CF trunklid that doesn't need any parts added onto it like the stock tl does. Stock hardware would be a must, but it would also be cool if there was an option to say use aftermarket struts for the lift such that we don't lose space like we do with the OE setup (of course I don't know if that'd be possible or how it'd be done if it were).

So I guess I am interested either way.

·
Odd Man Out
276 Posts
Potentially interested. Not too concerned about saving the weight, but I do want an elegant solution to the "spoiler hole problem".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not at $500 plus

I'd be happy with a factory deck lid without the holes. From related threads it looks like you can get one with the holes punched for $250, the factory should be willing to offer an unpunched version for the same price.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
If the fiberglass trunk was a decent weight savings, perhaps. Why not mold one with a little more shape, kinda like a little extra lip in the rear like most people want to add as a wing, except not as a wing.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
gsstage1 said:
I'd be happy with a factory deck lid without the holes. From related threads it looks like you can get one with the holes punched for $250, the factory should be willing to offer an unpunched version for the same price.
Just as a comparison, the stock hood lists at ~$490, GMPartsDirect sells it at high $200s (part no. is in my "my car got run into!" thread), but the PFYC and other hoods range from $700ish on up. So there's no reason why at $500 plus people wouldn't buy a replacement trunk lid if they want one. :) Personally I'd want exactly the stock shape though. It'd be cool if there was a carbon fiber version of the JHP lip spoiler to smack on it. That'd be cool.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Potentially interested here also, especially if it was significantly lighter, and even more so if it had a nice lip-style spoiler, rather than the one on the stock lid.

-Chris

·
'04 645Ci
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CF4Eyes said:
Potentially interested here also, especially if it was significantly lighter, and even more so if it had a nice lip-style spoiler, rather than the one on the stock lid.

-Chris
Do you mean the three piece one?

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
I think he means like this (courtesy DBlueGoat):

That's what I meant too, but of course in CF...Just something that you guys could sell as an option, not that came on every one...Because there are those people like myself who like the stock contours of the trunklid.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
It would be nice to get an aftermarket trunk lid with a lip wing (like picture above) molded right into the fiberglass, mabee with a little more contour on the back/underside of the wing to roll it into the rear of the trunk. But also offer a "stock" shape version also.

Another thing to consider would be different style 'lip' or low profile wings that make use of the factory holes with or without the third brake light. Most people want to keep it clean which most low profile wings look nice and clean, but dont want to fill the stock holes or drill new ones in the trunk or fenders, and I cant blame them. Some different designs that look good, fit like stock and such would sell like hotcakes!

·
Registered
97 Posts
phobos512 said:
I think he means like this (courtesy DBlueGoat):

That's what I meant too, but of course in CF...Just something that you guys could sell as an option, not that came on every one...Because there are those people like myself who like the stock contours of the trunklid.
Yup, that's what I meant :) Or at least something similar to it.

-Chris

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
CF4Eyes said:
Yup, that's what I meant :) Or at least something similar to it.

-Chris
Hey thats my ride! :gr_jest: :gr_jest: :cool: :hail:

·
GTO Lover
532 Posts
I'd be interested.:thumbs:

·
12 seconds, nothing but cam!
358 Posts
I would be interested. That factory trunk is a monster for weight, so cutting a ton of that weight out would be nice.

Jon

·
burnout silver star award :)
2,166 Posts
thread from the dead babay!!!!

·
Tom Cruise use ur witchcraft
1,670 Posts
i would be interested in a cf version maybe with that lip spoiler

1 - 20 of 27 Posts