LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all the work on the GTO recently and driving it around lately it has become obvious I need to trim more off that damn little brace stud. I thought I had enough room, but one header tube buzzes against the nut on that stud occasionally so I need to loosen the header and take the rest of that stud off. Quite a hassle, but it has to be done. Though we didn't see any evidence on the dyno, my tuner said stuff like this can cause false knock readings causing the computer to pull timing and I don't want that so I have to do more work there.

Anyway, since I'll have to pull the header loose from the engine, I'm hoping I can just reuse the GM gasket I just put in there on the install. I also hope I can move the header far enough to get at that stud without disconnecting the steering column again.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
391 Posts
I re-used the new GM gasket for my left header when I removed it to replace the power steering lines coming out of the rack. It sealed up just fine.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Most say reuse it, even used it's better than anything aftermarket. I did mine with no problems.

·
Administrator
8,100 Posts
As others already stated; absolutely.

I’ve reused the OEM GM MLS gaskets on every single GM header install I’ve ever done. There is no need to replace them unless you damage them, which takes intentional mishandling to do.

I cut those bolts clean off on my last header install after everything was bolted together. Took 10 or so minutes, but this did the trick from under the car with a long 12” blade:

·
GR-RRR!
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My recip saw took care of it in a few minutes. All done, just need to replace one of the header collector bolts as it broke when I tried to loosen it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts