LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess the writing was on the wall for a while. 600 jobs lost and a beloved brand axed. It's a sad day.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, was checking out the SS forums and the feeling is the same. I'm sure G8 owners also agreeing this sucks.

I'm not even sure what I would buy if I lost the goat. I know that I'm not going to sell it unless I know longer have the means to keep it. Mine now has 136,000 miles and still running good.

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,460 Posts
I've owned a 90 C1500, 97 Tahoe 2-door, 01 Silverado 2500HD, 15 Equinox, and still own the GTO. My family pretty much always bought GMs when I was growing up. Last two vehicles we have purchased are a 16 F-150 and 18 Edge. I don't think I'll be going back to GM. If we have to up-size the SUV with the third kid on the way, it will likely be an Expedition. I know some people don't trust the Ecoboosts, but for where I live, it is so much better than driving the NA GM and Mopar motors. The Edge's little 2.0L Ecoboost is stronger than here 3.6L V6 was in the Equinox. GM won't let me get a 6.2L unless I buy a $70,000 1500 in the trucks, and I still like the standard 3.5L Ecoboost more.

My father bought a Raptor after test driving several half-ton GMCs, Chevys, Durango SRT8, Jeep Trackhawk, and a Cheyenne. He still has his ZL1, but I think I've driven it more than him the past two years.

·
Administrator
19,087 Posts
Wife just bought a GMC-branded toaster, or maybe it was a dishwasher. IDK, she paid for it, and she likes it. I'll never buy another GM. If I ever replace the GTO, it'll be something Euro, I guess.

GM, just when you think idiocy has reached its zenith, hold our beers.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,074 Posts
GM got me with Pontiac and lost me with the constant brand fuckery.

Dick around with Holden-sourced Pontiacs and then spend a decade edging with the Zeta platform before just axing Holden because the only Zeta car to get corporate love was the damn Camaro.
Now they're doing it again with Alpha, but with a twist. If you want a 4 door Alpha, buy a shitty uncompetitive luxury turd.

Audi and Mazda have my future new-car dollar.

·
Suffering Fools
15,253 Posts
Australia and UK bought about 4.2m new cars in 2018, and Japan (where nobody would probably ever buy a GM anyway) there were a little over 5 million sales.

I can see why that market isn't big enough for them. It's not enough to produce the cars in Australia and export them, especially if Japan isn't buying, and it's hard to compete with Japan when exporting cars into Australia. I guess Ford can do it since they already have a decent RHD market in the UK (but I'm not sure how many models are sold in both places).

Maybe once GM has some fully autonomous cars and lhd/rhd doesn't matter they'll start selling there again.

·
Livin' life
18,805 Posts
Australia and UK bought about 4.2m new cars in 2018, and Japan (where nobody would probably ever buy a GM anyway) there were a little over 5 million sales.

I can see why that market isn't big enough for them. It's not enough to produce the cars in Australia and export them, especially if Japan isn't buying, and it's hard to compete with Japan when exporting cars into Australia. I guess Ford can do it since they already have a decent RHD market in the UK (but I'm not sure how many models are sold in both places).

Maybe once GM has some fully autonomous cars and lhd/rhd doesn't matter they'll start selling there again.
Bunch of factors involved. Once Holden ( GM head office in Detroit) announced they weren't making cars in OZ anymore, the locals turned on them in a big way. Importing shit products from Daewoo in Korea and slapping Holden badges on them massively tarnished their image. Probably like how old GTO diehards felt when they found out the next GTO wasn't American made. High wages, union interference, no government subsidies and having the wrong product on the showroom floor all were contributing factors. GM is poison here, now.

·
LS9 FTW
230 Posts
Bunch of factors involved. Once Holden ( GM head office in Detroit) announced they weren't making cars in OZ anymore, the locals turned on them in a big way. Importing shit products from Daewoo in Korea and slapping Holden badges on them massively tarnished their image. Probably like how old GTO diehards felt when they found out the next GTO wasn't American made. High wages, union interference, no government subsidies and having the wrong product on the showroom floor all were contributing factors. GM is poison here, now.

·
Worthless reject member
39,378 Posts
yeah. i saw the backlash on facetoobs on the holden groups. every other post was bashing the new commodore. that was holden's bread and butter.

·
Yes my name is Holden
465 Posts
Greetings Guys; My cousins from The Land OZ sure had a Great perspective of Automobile design. OK subjective & name bias for sure. Just dreamin', too bad the employees couldn't of become owners. That sometimes works for smaller company's. I so wanted to see the Coupe 60 get produced. And of course when the assembly plant closed, it was just a mater of time. Unlikely I'll ever sell mine, but it is a pain in the posterior to work on. And I thought the Bronze Brick had lots of plastic. I've already broken more than one plastic tab. Then of course I could of worked on the Brick blindfolded & everything is new to me on the GuTOo. But I can't leave it stock, I have the Affliction, Ole' Bob

·
Worthless reject member
39,378 Posts
I so wanted to see the Coupe 60 get produced.
View attachment 500447
if only.

pontiac's course seemed so sure, but a lot of people (myself included, of course) weren't paying attention to what was happening in the housing market.

what is sad is that they had clay model designs and were in the works of making a VE-based coupe just like that. It would have been a 2-door G8 here in the states, or a GTO... oh well.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,074 Posts
if only.

pontiac's course seemed so sure, but a lot of people (myself included, of course) weren't paying attention to what was happening in the housing market.

what is sad is that they had clay model designs and were in the works of making a VE-based coupe just like that. It would have been a 2-door G8 here in the states, or a GTO... oh well.
This, combined with what Lutz said a few years back about how the next-gen G6 was going to be on the Alpha platform..... it's like GOT Season 8 levels of disappointment.

·
Yabba Dabba Doo!!
2,005 Posts
GM overall needs to step up to the plate. I just don't get why they are not keeping up with their competitors. Looks at the new Silverado that is way behind in features and technology compared Ram and Ford on higher level trims. And Ford F150 is has not had a full resdesign in how many years? Only GM vehicle on the market that I would consider would the iconic Corvette. Sad to see how they destroyed Holden but this was obvious for years.

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,460 Posts
GM overall needs to step up to the plate. I just don't get why they are not keeping up with their competitors. Looks at the new Silverado that is way behind in features and technology compared Ram and Ford on higher level trims. And Ford F150 is has not had a full resdesign in how many years? Only GM vehicle on the market that I would consider would the iconic Corvette. Sad to see how they destroyed Holden but this was obvious for years.
And the GM trucks look like ass. Grills on the Chevys are hideous.

·
Registered
361 Posts
They’d be in a better spot had they been allowed to move forward with a bankruptcy. Now they’re hedging all their bets on China.
Ha.
The big story in the car world all last year (at least how I see it) was that the Chinese auto market faced its first major decline.

Is this hitting all car companies in China equally? Of course not! GM has found some way to do even worse than the next guy, as Automotive News reports sales are down a good 40 percent, versus the general 20 percent downturn for the rest of the market.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts