LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DY is the Awesomest
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my sales guy called me today and said that they got a memo friday that said gm is shutting down for xmas and new years and that is going to delay the gto by two weeks. can someone please tell me how this is going to affect the car being shipped late????

·
Official Dragon Straightner
6,438 Posts
Don't know about that. The manufacturing plants shut down but that shouldn't affect deliveries of cars to dealerships.
Cars sitting in holding yards or on a truck don't do GM any good.

I think his comment would go in the salesman not knowing anything department.

·
Registered
287 Posts
GM

Now Iam not sure about this but I know the GM North American Operations shut down for Christmas through New Year but didnt think the Overseas GM Operations did.

·
Official Dragon Straightner
6,438 Posts
Gm also shuts down for 2 weeks in the Summer. Traditionally around model changeover time. Which can now be as early as JUne, but used to be in July. The vacation time is still taken in JUly however.

A great example of this was the Cadillac CTS plant which only shutdown for a week in JUly this year.
All other plants except for one shut down for the full 2 weeks.

Hope you guys aren't thinking that the whole company shuts down. That just doesn't happen.

·
Registered
287 Posts
GM Downtime

I work for GM and b4z is absolutly correct on the dowmtime. We go down this year on Dec 23 amd come back on Jan 5 2004 and normally model change is the 1st 2 weeks in July. This year we were retooling for the new Malibu so I was off from Feb 10 till June ---came back for 1 week and were off 1 more month till the middle of July -- now we are starting 8 1/2 hrs a day for 2 weeks and then after Jan 5 2004 we have 19 Sat to work and 9 HRS a day. Still not sure if Austraila if they go down like we do for Christmas.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What are they talking about???? Is Christmas a new thing this year?? Is this the first time Gm closed down for the holidays? I am sure that this was factored in from above but (not to insult anyone here) I dont think brains are required to sell cars. Think the salesman being a chicken little. The GTO is falling.

·
Registered
389 Posts
:) It all depends. The union runs the GM plants in the states and they close but it depends if the plants outside the US has a union and what their union does so the GTO plant might not be closing just the ones in the states.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You guys have to remember that our summer is Dec-Jan-Feb, so the big school break is over christmas. Holden shuts down it's plant for 2 weeks (I think) over this break. My previous car was built on the first day back from the break, and I beleive that was about Jan 7th ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts