LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have been searching like crazy and all i found is someone talking about adding something. Sooo heres my idea, Im going to go get some 8mill neopreme and make a cone shape that would fit under the leather boot. It would clip to the ring that holds the white rubber seal/boot to the floor and have a zipper on the front that would tighten around the bottom of the shifter knob and at worst zip tie to it. Im also going to put some dynomat on the shifter too if that dosnt quiet it enough. What do you all think? I could even make a bunch of them if it works well.

·
Turbo Whistle? She's Stock:)
322 Posts
LSXGOAT said:
Ok so i have been searching like crazy and all i found is someone talking about adding something. Sooo heres my idea, Im going to go get some 8mill neopreme and make a cone shape that would fit under the leather boot. It would clip to the ring that holds the white rubber seal/boot to the floor and have a zipper on the front that would tighten around the bottom of the shifter knob and at worst zip tie to it. Im also going to put some dynomat on the shifter too if that dosnt quiet it enough. What do you all think? I could even make a bunch of them if it works well.
Sounds great, you mind posting pics of the fabrication documenting your progression.

·
......................... ....
3,858 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
Did you check and make sure the shifter base is not making contact with the transmission tunnel??

I installed mine while the trans was out getting clutch and I wacked the front of the opening with a large hammer to make sure there was enough room. Otherwise it was really tight and might have come in contact with the shifter base.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya i bent it out more than 3/8" it could be the rubber being pushed out fromt hat and hitting the GMM, would that be enough to transfer the noise and amplify it? i think i might be jacking it back un some point this weekend ans checking it all over again, would be the 3rd time so i might also make that right unbolt from the top by wekding the bolts on the bottom, it realy is SUCH A PIA to get them off from the bottom.

·
Speed Junkie
1,312 Posts
I'm down for this, as I'll need it on my car as soon as I install the shifter.

·
Speed Junkie
1,312 Posts
Race.

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
I only use 3 nuts on the rubber hold down plate.

Much easier to take it apart that way.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
i bent the tunnel hole a bit with a cresent wrench to clear it and used the smaller black stock boot that the instrustions say is optional and to cut if you use it. i didn't cut it but stretched it over the round part of the GMM and used a hose clamp to keep it on. it dampens it very well

·
Faster Than A Speeding Ticket
181 Posts
svede1212 said:
i bent the tunnel hole a bit with a cresent wrench to clear it and used the smaller black stock boot that the instrustions say is optional and to cut if you use it. i didn't cut it but stretched it over the round part of the GMM and used a hose clamp to keep it on. it dampens it very well

I'm going to be trying this when I get the goat back from the shop.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Blackbat said:
SWEET!
Im pretty sure mine makes the normal amount of sound, it isnt alot but it is definantly noticable. i Know once i get used to it ill barely hear it but right now it just sounds like someting is about to blow up, not realy but i hear ever bit of drivetrain slop through it. Im goign to house of foam after work to get some neopreme to se how it sounds

·
ELESTOO
695 Posts
I just changed the lever to the threaded one and put on a nice ball knob... No more noise! The issue is the stock knob. A). Once you remove it from the lever the first time, it is Never as tight again. B). Noise travels up the lever from the trans and because the stock knob is a push fitting, there is not enough insulation or snug fit to keep the resonance down.

This is of course, my humble opinion. It worked for me.

·
The Situation
3,358 Posts
Rev. Po-Jay said:
I just changed the lever to the threaded one and put on a nice ball knob... No more noise! The issue is the stock knob. A). Once you remove it from the lever the first time, it is Never as tight again. B). Noise travels up the lever from the trans and because the stock knob is a push fitting, there is not enough insulation or snug fit to keep the resonance down.

This is of course, my humble opinion. It worked for me.

didn't someone on the board mention during their install they put some silicon inside the stock knob so it would have a tight fit the the GMM shifter? maybe I am just nuts

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
anyone else experimented with using the stock gasket on the GMM, im thinking that might be more effective then using the neopreme, i tried a couple things using the neopreme and it dosnt realy deaden anything from it, maybe just the higher end. Is it realy metalic sounding when you get on it 1-3, sounds like i can hear every tooth of the gears and sometimes has a high pitch hum. Is that all normal?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Blown_Red_97z said:
didn't someone on the board mention during their install they put some silicon inside the stock knob so it would have a tight fit the the GMM shifter? maybe I am just nuts
I squeezed in a bunch of RTV silicone into the stock knob before pressing it back onto the GMM shifter. My knob is on very solid and I don't think my knob is vibrating. Even when I hold the knob as tight as I can while driving it does not deaden the vibration noise at all. I think the noise is just the fact that the race version is a solid metal to metal connection from the tranny up to the shifter.

I just had an idea while typing this. I think I am going to put a couple of plastic or rubber washers (or a custom gasket) between the bolts connecting the shifter lever to the GMM shifter. This would provide a dampening between the tranny and the shifter lever. I don't know if this will work but I will try it.

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
I need to do some sound deadening. My shifter is loud.

·
ELESTOO
695 Posts
GTO Fan said:
I just had an idea while typing this. I think I am going to put a couple of plastic or rubber washers (or a custom gasket) between the bolts connecting the shifter lever to the GMM shifter. This would provide a dampening between the tranny and the shifter lever. I don't know if this will work but I will try it.
You have fun with that. I just took my GMM Lever off today and don't plan on doing it again anytime soon. That sucks!

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
im realy thinking that if i put the stock gasket that it will stop alot fo the resonance through the shifter. i dont think most of the noise is coming from the shift fork and that it's coming from the case of the trans.

·
Old School Hot Rodder
175 Posts
I installed my GMM without the stock GM gasket and have a bit of chatter and noise.

I installed my brother in laws with the stock GM gasket and his is much quieter.

I would recommend the stock gasket trick, it does seem to work.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts