LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
From a Bonnie Lass to a Goat!
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GMM "Race" ripshift - post-install impressions

First, let me thank all of you who laid the ground work for this install by posting your experiences and pictures - Those threads were a great help. Then i must thank KLRGOAT for all the help he gave during the install. one thing i had not seen anyone mention previously was how the bolts on the shifter could be "finicky" going in. There were several moments when KLRGOAT and i were really worried that the bolts were going to cross thread. After many tries we finally had all the bolts started on the GMM and tightened her down. One other suggestion i and KLRGOAT would make is that everyone test drive before buttoning up, my rear stop was a hair to far forward and would not stay in second - big pain in the @$$ as we had closed it all up already. now onto my impressions.

First, the old stock shifter (as everyone knows or should know) is very "loose" and difficult to get into gear at points. The GMM does not have this problem. The GMM is solid, so much so i was wondering if we had installed it wrong. With the stock shifter i had the habit of giving the stick a 'shake' in neutral to ensure i wasn't in gear. The GMM is not 'sloppy' enough to allow this - something i had to adjust to.

The next thing i noticed was how 'clunky' the GMM is. each shift is accompanied by a definate double 'hitch' when shifting. first hitch occurs when leaving the gear one is in and a second when reaching the limit of the gear one is going into. while not necessarily a bad thing, it did come as a bit of a shock when comparing it to the original stock shifter. this 'clunky' feeling does take some getting used to, but it does not take long.

The BEST thing about the GMM is, as i aluded to in the begining, the precision of the shifting. there is no 'hunting and pecking' for third gear. just SLAM that baby forward and its there. i believe this is the same for fourth because i have 'ripped' through all the gears without any hassle at all. From what i can tell now all that is limiting my shifting is how fast i can punch my clutch in and out.

The cabin noise is noticible, but not obnoxious. With the radio on, or with just about any aftermarket exhaust (as KLRGOAT has suggested i get) one should not be able to hear it. i plan on getting some sound deadening material to install under the shifter boot to further limit this. As others have said it is NOT that bad. Other than the gear whine coming from the handle, if you have your windows down you can hear the same noises as you shift.

in the end this seems to be a great mod. i no longer have to worry about getting into third, or that dreaded 1-4 skip shift - because i installed a CAGS delete at the same time.

Please consider that this may not be a mod for everyone. However, if you want a solid firm shifter, a definate shift into third, and don't mind a little cabin noise (and i mean little) then this is a mod for you.

·
Big Dave
928 Posts
Good write up, helped seal the deal for me to go GMM, thanks.

·
"YELOJKT"
784 Posts
Did you get the street or race version?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Some of the noise can be cotributed to the stops. As I had posted before, I applied a self adhesive felt. The other thing I discovered is that a small portion barely touches the top front of the trans tunnel / floor, a pry bar helped that.
One thing that concerned me regarding the Race version is it being so short. This can become very tireing if you are in a daily driver. I wen't with the street version. This assembly accepts the upper shift arm/handel from the stock shifter and it sit's where the stock shifter sat (height wise) providing a slightly longer but easier throw.

Watch the "Tennis Elbow".

·
Registered
662 Posts
Picture of the Street Version in neutral.

Attachments

·
BlubBlubBlubBlubBlub
325 Posts
Ed at Mongillo installed mine. I watched the chore for a while and saw what a PITA is it was... He went ahead and drilled through the handle to assist in securing the shift knob via a screw, that was the only issue had on the install. The knob almost spun freely on the GMM Race version after install by the GMM instructions.

Anyway, it definitely makes driving the car GRRRREAT! The car really goes quicker b/c with it you can shift with confidence. Must have for the car, and the noise for me w/ race spec is almost non existent, except for the snick/clunk into the next gear. No biggie at all.

OUT

·
Goats like to eat
54 Posts
the race version has some noise and vibration, but if your not going to the track all the time , get the street version. no vibration.
another good thing to do while your at it is drain out the manual tranny fluid and replace it with some Royal Purple SynchroMax manual transmisson fluild. You will feel the difference. It is worth the $'s.

·
Administrator
9,486 Posts
Bushings for what?
The extra piece with the street version is the adapter that allows the factory lever/damper assembly to be used with the GMM, it just bolts to the shifter and lever with the hardware provided. Be sure to use Loctite on all those bolts, blue is sufficient.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts