LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my GMM Street Rip Shifter installed for a couple of weeks now. I thought that it was a 100% improvement over the OEM shifter. However while there was a huge improvement in shift accuracy there was also a noticable increase in shift effort due to the shorter throw and loss of leverage effect. I also noticed that the shifts were still a bit slow and notchy and that it was pretty easy to "beat the syncros" due to the relative heavy duty internals in the T56 transmission.

I thought that this may have simply been due to the fact that the trans was still very "green" (only 3000 miles on the car).

Well yesterday I swapped out the Dextron III fluid for Royal Purple Syncromax fluid and couldn't believe the differance. The syncro engagement is much quicker. The shifter moves much easier through the gates and it is also much easier to match revs for clutchless shifting.

I highly recommend anyone with a M6 switch to Royal Purple, whether or not you're replacing the shifter.

IMHO of course!!! :gears: :gears: :gears:

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
i put the GMM in the same time i put the RPSM in it so i couldnt tell the diff the Rp made. It is however very nice shifting, i can beat the syncros but it takes ALOT of speed and effort, normal spirited driving i dont go that fast with the shifts but maybe on a drag i would. All in all it's a great dueo

·
Slow Guy, Fast Car
1,067 Posts
I just got my Rip Shifter Race ver. in tonight. Woohoo! What a difference. I find it to be a little notchy going from 3rd to 4th. I'm hoping with some more miles on it, it will get a bit smoother. I will be doing the RP treatment soon.

·
Member: Black Sheep Squadron
4,065 Posts
Getting the RP in the tranny tomorrow. I wanted to see the difference in just the shifter first hand. Sounds like its gonna work great.

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
LSXGOAT said:
i put the GMM in the same time i put the RPSM in it so i couldnt tell the diff the Rp made. It is however very nice shifting, i can beat the syncros but it takes ALOT of speed and effort, normal spirited driving i dont go that fast with the shifts but maybe on a drag i would. All in all it's a great dueo
Same here, i feel that i wasted a bit of cash on the RPSM fluid.

·
Administrator
9,491 Posts
If you drive the car in the winter it will be worth it, cold weather shifting with synthetic is much better than with the original Dexron. I got my car in the winter and after just a few days changed to Redline D4-ATF, it made a big difference.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Just finished install and test drove tonight!

RP in the tranny, GMM street on the floor.

1000% improvement!

Tranny smoother and quiter with the RP.

GMM brings the shifting into the actual "turismo" realm it was supposed to be.

It's no longer driving. It's motoring!

I LOVE IT!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts