LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guy's think of the GMM race ripshifter? If you have one please tell me how u like it and what kind of issues I can expect to have when I install it.....thanks.

·
ELESTOO
695 Posts
Dude, please use the search button. There are at least 15 threads a week on this. Welcome to our corner of the internet. Play fair. Play often.

·
Need To Drive More
1,475 Posts
1fstgot said:
What do you guy's think of the GMM race ripshifter?
It works good. My only qualm was that the shift knob makes a humming sound. Kind of like a static radio sound. After a week or two of driving the car I dont even notice it anymore.

IMO, well worth it.

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
its a piece of crap :judge:

·
Member: Black Sheep Squadron
4,065 Posts
Dont buy it. Apparently its your first thread, and you havent learned to use the "Search" option. Meaning you probably wont be able to handle your GTO after it gets installed.

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
Flash99 said:
Dont buy it. Apparently its your first thread, and you havent learned to use the "Search" option. Meaning you probably wont be able to handle your GTO after it gets installed.
hey, atleast he got the right section

·
Member: Black Sheep Squadron
4,065 Posts
ShaneD_06GTO said:
hey, atleast he got the right section

LOL, I guess your right

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
well i might as well voice my opinion, I LOVE how it shifts and the whole mechanical aspects of it are fantastic, it go into gear every time and is dam near impossible to miss shift. However, if your thinknig of the race version it's LOUD, enough to the point where once it's realy warmed up and the fluid is realy thin i hear ever tooth in the trans as it's reving. it does get quite annoying. i have only had it on about a week and i just dont think im going to be able to get used to it being that loud. either today or tomorrow after work im going to go back in and take it out to try the stock gasket to see if that helps at all, also goign to put some dynomat on the lower part of the shaft. Ahh hell while im at it am also goign to bend out the tunnel a lil more cuz on fast left turns (i mean REALY fast) it hits slightly and i cant be having that.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Shane why don't you like it?? I love mine.

·
ELESTOO
695 Posts
LSXGOAT said:
well i might as well voice my opinion, I LOVE how it shifts and the whole mechanical aspects of it are fantastic, it go into gear every time and is dam near impossible to miss shift. However, if your thinknig of the race version it's LOUD, enough to the point where once it's realy warmed up and the fluid is realy thin i hear ever tooth in the trans as it's reving. it does get quite annoying. i have only had it on about a week and i just dont think im going to be able to get used to it being that loud. either today or tomorrow after work im going to go back in and take it out to try the stock gasket to see if that helps at all, also goign to put some dynomat on the lower part of the shaft. Ahh hell while im at it am also goign to bend out the tunnel a lil more cuz on fast left turns (i mean REALY fast) it hits slightly and i cant be having that.
After installing the threaded handle and ball, I have absolutely no more noise than the stock handle... No gaskets, no dynamat.

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
TORRID04GOAT said:
Shane why don't you like it?? I love mine.
I was just being myself, I love it!

·
Porch Dick
20,343 Posts
LSXGOAT said:
However, if your thinknig of the race version it's LOUD, enough to the point where once it's realy warmed up and the fluid is realy thin i hear ever tooth in the trans as it's reving. it does get quite annoying. i have only had it on about a week and i just dont think im going to be able to get used to it being that loud.
Are we talking that much louder than stock? I really want the more solid assembly of the race version and don't mind hearing it some, but right when I get ready to pull the trigger on a race, I read a thread making it seem like it sounds like a nascar inside. I mean, I still want to be able to put it in 6th with the windows up and cruise comfortably down the freeway.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
bvbull200 said:
Are we talking that much louder than stock? I really want the more solid assembly of the race version and don't mind hearing it some, but right when I get ready to pull the trigger on a race, I read a thread making it seem like it sounds like a nascar inside. I mean, I still want to be able to put it in 6th with the windows up and cruise comfortably down the freeway.
ya its def alot louder than stock, i can hear the whine and chatter of the gears all the time unless i roll the window all the way down or have the music up to 40ish

1,636 Posts
I haven't heard the race version but I have the street version and I love it . The noise was my main concern when I ordered and they assured me that it would be nice, IT IS !!!!!!!!

·
ELESTOO
695 Posts
LSXGOAT said:
was the stock GMM handle alot louder though, like almost annoying loud?
It is mostly the knob that is noisey. It is a clip on so it does not attach that tightly. But yes, with the stock knob, the GMM Race version is a little loud. It is something that you CAN live with,. but I didn't want to.

·
Bye Bye GTO
2,462 Posts
Do yourself a favor and stop asking about it and buy one. You will thank all of us later:patriot:

·
And your point is.......
1,065 Posts
Add a cam and you will be saying what noise. My only issues with the one installed in my car for 8k of hard use is the damn top bolt on the handle keeps backing off. I will have the shifter apart for the third time when I replace the top bolt with a 1/4 inch longer bolt and a new nylock nut. I am not sure what they are sending now with the shifter, but mine was not long enough to catch the aircraft nut and lock it. Oh, and trust me I tried locktite red and two trips to the races later and it was lose again.

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
Rolencode GTO said:
Do yourself a favor and stop asking about it and buy one. You will thank all of us later:patriot:

+1...I gave my stock shifter away. I didn't even want to see it ever again.

·
Bye Bye GTO
2,462 Posts
ShaneD_06GTO said:
+1...I gave my stock shifter away. I didn't even want to see it ever again.

:gr_jest:

Mine is still hanging on my pegboard in the garage:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts