LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
got rice?
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when I leave the line full throttle the car will start choking as if I was going in and out of the gas. Car starts to jerk back and forth :mad:. I'm suspecting that maybe the cold air kit is coming loose by the clamps. If anyone has any theories as to why this is happening I'm all ears. Aside from this minor delay I love the GTO.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
2004Goat said:
Sometimes when I leave the line full throttle the car will start choking as if I was going in and out of the gas. Car starts to jerk back and forth :mad:. I'm suspecting that maybe the cold air kit is coming loose by the clamps. If anyone has any theories as to why this is happening I'm all ears. Aside from this minor delay I love the GTO.
What kind of cold air kit?

·
\m/ (>.<) \m/
762 Posts
Dumb question but just to be sure:

Do you have the traction control turned off?

·
got rice?
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not a dumb question but yes the t/c is off. I got my cold air from tbyrne. I'm not sure what brand though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
ditto

My A4 does the same thing, next week I will get down to speed shop next week for a possible re-tune. It almost feels like my old V-8 with carbs used to feel when the timing was off. Hit the throttle hard and the goat just bogs down for 1-2 seconds then takes off.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Your MAF reads two measurements.

1) Airflow amount in pounds/hr

2) Air Speed in Hz

If you have an intake air leak AFTER the MAF, it'll run like that as it is ingesting unmetered air.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
I would look for wierd abarations in airflow rate AND speed as RPM's build. If you're having a natural progression of rpm, both airflow and airspeed measurements should be in a similar increasing pattern. So if you get some bizaare flash reading, you know somehting isn't being metered right.

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
I've never noticed this. I'm stock except for predator tune on my 6 speed.
I didn't think torque mgmt. had anything to do with 6 speeds? Anyway,
I have not noticed this.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
6 speeds do not have any torque management of any sort. Any timing being pulled is for some other reason.

All GM PCM's will go into a reduced power mode when they need to, but torque management only applies to automatic transmission cars.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
The PCM tuning on our cars is all over the place for model year '04. ZO6's are having the same problem. HAve you monitored your knock retard? That may be the key. If they're picking up something, and therfore pulling timing, that may be a route to look down.

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
Blitzu said:
Absolutely no KR, this thing just falls on its face at launch... :banghead:
I would look at your mods including your HP tune. I believe your answer
is there. I am stock, except for Predator tune, and never had this problem.
HP tune sounds like it needs some more tweaking.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
I am close to stock on my tune. I have had the same problem on two occasions. I am running rich because of the headers but the car has fallen flat on its face in the 1>2 shift on two occasions. The only things that I have had "tuned" is a CAGS elimination and a few sensors clipped. I was told that there is some TQ management on the M6 car though..

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
Blitzu said:
My HP tune consisted before of removing the govener, and getting rid of CAGs I doubt anything from there is the cause. Even when completely stock at the track I noticed it, but just thought it was because the car wasn't strong enough yet to power its self off the line. Best 60 foot stock was a 2.1.

It is not like the car does this all the time.... only when being launched HARD at the track. To some people it may not be noticable since they haven't probally haven't been to a track to find out. Other's may not think it is that bad... but I know from experience this minor feel of lag at launch is really a big deal. If I was to put one of my friends or family members in the car and told them to launch hard they would probally say they don't notice anything odd.... but I do. The 60 foots are proof, and from the looks of it from this board I am not the only one that does notice it.
This in very interesting Blitzu. I hope you can track down the source of
your problem. My car so far has not done this, although, like you said, maybe
I am just not noticing it. I will be very interested in the fix for this.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
sxty8goats said:
I am close to stock on my tune. I have had the same problem on two occasions. I am running rich because of the headers but the car has fallen flat on its face in the 1>2 shift on two occasions. The only things that I have had "tuned" is a CAGS elimination and a few sensors clipped. I was told that there is some TQ management on the M6 car though..
You're confusing the IAT vs. timing table I've been telling you about with TM. Two different cups of tea.

TM has three variables to it, 1) pre-shift table 2) During shift table and 3) Post shift tables that need to be adjusted down.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
I wouldn't call them torque management though. As they're Max tables.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Power Loss on Launch

Blitzu said:
It doesn't make sense on why the car pulls timing so vigorously on a hard launch. The delay is extremely bad, I am wondering if it has to do with programming or if something else is off. The car has more than enough torque, but it can't seem to apply it.
It's been established for a while now that aftermarket MAF ends are a disadvantage and can cause the launch problems you are having. You can verify this with Speed, Inc. and other shops involved with HP tuning. My understanding is that the GTO PCM is just too picky for this mod. The mod ends make it extremely difficult to tune properly.

slick50

1 - 20 of 34 Posts