LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
05 M6 Red/Black
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I'm in a bit of a conundrum. I seriously want a c7 Z06. Actually been a life goal of mine to buy a newish Z06 since I was 16, sitting in the first C6 Z my local dealers got. Well, I've never been in the position to afford one until now. Despite having the income necessary, I'm not pulling the trigger without paying a substantial amount down. Within the next month, all my remaining debt will be wiped away. I was hit pretty hard in 2011 and it ruined me financially. After near a decade, I'm doing extremely well. That leaves me contemplating the goat. What to do with it? These were cars again that I loved as a teen. Sit in a cpm 6 speed purple interior at my local dealer when they were released. I plan on purchasing the Z06 on my 30th birthday. That will give me enough time to solidify my rebuilt credit and save the 25 to 30 thousand for the downpayment. Also, time to ensure my current financial trend will continue.

The goat is currently in the body shop. A deer collided with me. During the course of repairs, I decided a complete do over was in order. New paint and all the minuscule cosmetic issues corrected inside and out.

This isn't a will I be happy with the Z thread. I know I'll be absolutely thrilled in every way possible. This is a will I miss the GTO thread. I've owned two. I have a clean and clear title to the current car. It currently has 87k on the click and 0 mechanical issues at all. It should bring 14k at least private sell with some patience. That would increase my downpayment quite a bit. However, I'm still afraid I'll miss it. I love that damn car despite it being a pita sometimes.

My question is, after your upgrade, did you miss the goat?

·
450+rwhp club :D
2,841 Posts
Miss the way it sounded, and had lots of good memories in the goat. But selling it allowed me to buy a ZR1. So no, I don't miss it that much. Maybe 14 years or so from now I'll buy another for my kid when he is 16. But lots of other cars I would like to own before another goat.

·
Here for the Gangbang
1,826 Posts
If you own it outright, I would keep it.

I've also owned two GTOs, including one that was stupid-overpowered and obnoxiously fun. Now I own a stupid-overpowered C6 Grand Sport. I do miss the last GTO from time to time, but do not for a second regret getting the C6.

·
No More GTO
3,477 Posts
I do miss my 04 GTO. I bought it new in October of 2004. However, I don't think about it when I drive my C7.
Fortunately I sold my GTO to a manager at the dealership that I ordered my C7 from so I know where it's at and the "owner" knows I want it back. It's funny; a while back I was there (at the dealership) when one of the salesmen told me Ellis drove "my" GTO to work today.

·
05 M6 Red/Black
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for input guys! I get "overly" attached to my toys according to most. I put it on the market for a week last year about this time. It was ready to sell but I couldn't go through with it. Lol. But I haven't driven the car since early June. I was shopping for a few parts the other day and just couldn't click buy. Felt as if I had lost interest. That's when I started browsing 6th gen Camaros and Stingrays. I stumbled on the c7 Z prices. So, I started thinking.

·
Send Nudes
4,565 Posts
Nope, not at all. There are better cars on the market, the new owners are getting worse and worse, the car is running out of OEM parts, and the GOT is really not all that special. Honestly, considering how much better the newer cars are, I don't see much point even buying a GOT. A 6th gen Camero will destroy the GOT, as will the 5.bro Mustang, and even tuned I4 Mustangs and Cameros are competition for anything near-stock.

Sure, the back seat is huge. But, so is the G8 and it has 4 doors, better suspension, and a better chassis. Same for the CTS-V, minus the glass diff.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Keep it if you are having doubts about if you will miss it. Everyone is different, so make the decision that is best for you.

·
Slow Goat
246 Posts
I had mine for 6 years and I had a ton of memories racing just about everything over the years. I really loved it but it was time to move on to something new, they're starting to get fucking old and like some have said parts are hard to get. The only cool thing is that you don't see them very often unlike my vette. See the same black C6 a couple times a day but I don't care.

·
NineInchNutswinger
3,237 Posts
As far as missing it, not really. The GTO had a great motor for its time but even then it lacked some creature comforts. Never “fell in love” with it with the awkward steering wheel (too damn big) and meh handling. That’s not to say it didn’t have some great stuff going for it- LS2’s had some great looks to it, the seats were comfortable and supportive and good looking, and as we all know you just don’t see many of them.

The GTO was a toy to me. I didn’t want just another fast car or what not after selling it, I decided to either get something truly performance oriented (no back seats, had to be different from a DD standpoint, etc.) or not have anything at all and keep my money.

My $0.02.

If you know you can afford it, just say fuck it and get it. Life’s too short. I wouldn’t buy a weekend toy though if you can’t go out to dinner or travel around and enjoy other shit though.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I do not missed mine much at all.....my first Vette (2007) I do miss though...and my 3rd GTO I miss as well...which was a 1965...

And a new z06 and after a minute you forget how to spell GTO.... :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts