·
596whp/553wtq @ 6.5psi
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wish me luck......... :driving: :burnout:

·
2004 Torrid Red GTO
1,119 Posts
good luck! Take a video camera and have someone record!

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
What track?

·
596whp/553wtq @ 6.5psi
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
That used to be my home away from home.I lived in Poughkeepsie all my life and moved south 8 years ago.Watch out for the dirt track residue if they run the night before,It makes the track slick as heck.I always liked Lebenon Valley,it was always a fun place.Do you or have you gone before?

·
596whp/553wtq @ 6.5psi
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Small world...I lived in pough****sie for a few years when I went to Mattress College (marist) back in 94. You dont rememeber a bar called Birdies do ya? :hail: :drink:

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Oh ya,Birdies,skinners,and all the little holes I hung out in.We used to do friday and sat night cruises at Dennys in the Poughkeepsie plaza way back in 84-90.I don't miss that place though.

·
596whp/553wtq @ 6.5psi
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am pissed....my best time was a 14.2 @ 101! with a best 60ft of 2.85

The wheel hop is ungodly in this car....no matter what rpm I launched at it hopped and hopped and hopped all the way thru 1st, 2nd and bottom of 3rd.

What ban I buy to prevent this disgusting wheel hop???

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
PHiL2 said:
I am pissed....my best time was a 14.2 @ 101! with a best 60ft of 2.85

The wheel hop is ungodly in this car....no matter what rpm I launched at it hopped and hopped and hopped all the way thru 1st, 2nd and bottom of 3rd.

What ban I buy to prevent this disgusting wheel hop???
My times were not much better (14.022et, first & only time at the track so far) but I am running Nitto 555R 275/40/17 drag radials on my rear stock rims. I had almost no problems with wheel hop at all. I was completly stock other than that. Those tires are great. Good luck next time.

BTW - For your first time out there is nothing wrong with a 14.2. Just practice and I am sure you will get into the high 13's bone stock.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
Did you lower your rear tire pressures to about 20-24 lbs? That helps and, of course, heating them up real good. Practice the launches and get the 60ft down and you will be the 13s no problem!

Doc

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Doc GTO said:
Did you lower your rear tire pressures to about 20-24 lbs? That helps and, of course, heating them up real good. Practice the launches and get the 60ft down and you will be the 13s no problem!

Doc
Yeah I forgot to mention that I also had my rear tire pressure at 25psi and I heated them up real real good. I pulled 1.9 and 2.0 60fts, so I was blowing it somewhere else (the 1-2 shift I think). It just takes practice, you've got a sweet car, enjoy it, don't let stuff like this get to you.

·
596whp/553wtq @ 6.5psi
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was doing monster burnouts and i let the pressure down to 27lbs and my 60 ft times were horrid and the hop was the culprit. I ordered LT headers and a K&N so my next time should be much better I hope low 13s

·
Registered
43 Posts
PHiL2 said:
I was doing monster burnouts and i let the pressure down to 27lbs and my 60 ft times were horrid and the hop was the culprit. I ordered LT headers and a K&N so my next time should be much better I hope low 13s

If you are heating up your stock tires it is a bad bad idea. Stock tires get greasy and slick when heated up. You need to avoid the water box and slightly spin them to get the track debri off them before you line up. My friend and I have found that a soft launch at about 2400 rpms is the right launching for a stock GTO. You walk the clutch but do not burn it. Also you will get crazy wheel hop going into 2nd so a soft shift is reccommended. Then you can power shift 3rd and 4rth if you like. This has resulted in 2.0 60fts and 13.6s in the quarter.

·
Registered
607 Posts
PhantomGTO said:
If you are heating up your stock tires it is a bad bad idea. Stock tires get greasy and slick when heated up. You need to avoid the water box and slightly spin them to get the track debri off them before you line up. My friend and I have found that a soft launch at about 2400 rpms is the right launching for a stock GTO. You walk the clutch but do not burn it. Also you will get crazy wheel hop going into 2nd so a soft shift is reccommended. Then you can power shift 3rd and 4rth if you like. This has resulted in 2.0 60fts and 13.6s in the quarter.

What RPM's are you shifting out of first in? I understand we lose HP on the stock LS1 over 5300rpm. I imagine we'd want to shift right about there to get those times?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was shifting of 1st around 5800-5900 rpm's. Then shifted at 6000 for the other shifts. The track was to crowded for me to play with the shift points to much. I will next time though. HP should be fine up close to 5800 before it starts to fall IIRC. Its the torque that starts to fall off at about 5500 rpm's.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
PHiL2 said:

No monster burnouts!! At NOPI that is good but with street tires you want to spin them to clean them and just start to produce some smoke. I would also bring the tires down to 20 lbs. No matter! You'll get 'um next time!!! That's what makes it fun.

Doc

1 - 16 of 16 Posts