LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
DOG
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heads and Cam going in today. The heads are ported and finished locally. Cam will be a comp cams xr22 (224/228 114 with lifts in the 580 range). Also adding a heavy duty timing chain while were in the engine. Should be interesting, but I'm hoping for about 410 at the rears. We'll see tomorrow when its all done.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
tiggerfan said:
Heads and Cam going in today. The heads are ported and finished locally. Cam will be a comp cams xr22 (224/228 114 with lifts in the 580 range). Also adding a heavy duty timing chain while were in the engine. Should be interesting, but I'm hoping for about 410 at the rears. We'll see tomorrow when its all done.
Congrats........at least you will have a couple days to enjoy before
IVAN the Terrible (cat 5 160mph)

·
DOG
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, I'm fed up with these damn storms. No, I haven't touched the exhaust yet. The plan is this.

1. Heads/Cam
2. Exhaust
3. Transmission
4. Rear/Drive shaft
5. Supercharger
6. C5R and forged bottom end for 12-14 psi boost (eventually)

Each step is based on the previous, and each step is geared towards the next. We know we're giving up power with the heads/cam we chose now because it will make more with the s/c then a better cam would turn n/a. The goal at Step 4 is to be putting 440-450 rwhp down and then take that close to 600 with the s/c. The c5r and forged should put the car into a very VERY streetable 750 horses at the rear.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
very nice game plan

"you have to plan your work, then work you plan" as one of my teachers has told us.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
750 is a nice number!!!!
:drink::drink:

·
Moving Forward
2,163 Posts
Tails said:
750 is a nice number!!!!
Is 750 Rwhp actually streetable or do you mean you can drive it, but you'll be leaving rubber on the ground with every shift? I can't imagine that much power coming out of car.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
This is the route I'm going. Heads and cam and Supercharger, although I'll probably do the heads after I do the S/C. You can at least run around with a S/C on the stock compressioned heads and make decent power, but if you put on lower compression heads, then have to wait before you get the S/C, you're actually gonna be driving around a weaker car until that S/C is added.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Well there will be no keeping up with the Jones' on that plan. I may do a cam and heads but I doubt the SC will go in if I do.

Tiggerfan, wow. I'll be following that development. It sounds sweet.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Hehehehheheheee!!! :D

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Don't get too giddy, DY isn't going to sit back and watch you pass him..

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
You can at least run around with a S/C on the stock compressioned heads and make decent power, but if you put on lower compression heads, then have to wait before you get the S/C, you're actually gonna be driving around a weaker car until that S/C is added.
That's what I was thinking. What kind of compression will you be running with the heads/cam, tiggerfan? Will you change it when you add the S/C?

If the Magnuson works with stock compression (10.5) I was actually thinking about something like water/alcohol injection (or methanol) to run on my H/C package (which is 10.8) if I were to add a S/C. Think that would work?

Oh, and good luck! :)

Padre

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
sxty8goats said:
Don't get too giddy, DY isn't going to sit back and watch you pass him..
[DY Don't Read this]I'm surprised he's even modded his to where it is now! :D He only has what, 100 miles on the car. :D[/DY Don't read this]

I think my mental insanity will get the best of me and I'll throw all caution to the wind. :D That is unless Susie intervenes.

·
DOG
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Compression should be similar to stock 10.5, if not a hair lower. the big boost isn't coming in till the c5r and then we'll drop the compression a bit.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
What is the C5R? I know it is a vette racing team but what are the specific changes?

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
The C5R was a 7.0L Katech Stroker motor. :)

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
PadreGTO said:
That's what I was thinking. What kind of compression will you be running with the heads/cam, tiggerfan? Will you change it when you add the S/C?

If the Magnuson works with stock compression (10.5) I was actually thinking about something like water/alcohol injection (or methanol) to run on my H/C package (which is 10.8) if I were to add a S/C. Think that would work?

Oh, and good luck! :)

Padre
I'm more planning the reverse strategy as CMNT is, thinking S/C now, heads/cam down the road. Alky/water injection has definitely crossed my mind, particularly since there are a couple of very sophisticated kits out there that derive input from the MAF sensor. My big issue is, I don't see much of that going on with roots/twin screw blowers. There is no practical means of injecting after the charge cooler, so you've got to spray on the intake side of the blower. I'm sure Eaton would tell you not to spray anything into the impellers, but there's countless 671's out there sucking gasoline. Methanol is corrosive, but denatured ethanol will work with a somewhat loss of effectiveness. Propane injection has gathered a lot of momentum with the turbo Buick crowd and has me saying Hmmmmm...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts