LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hood came in last week. First off the build quality is top notch. Hats off to PFYC for carrying a quality product :hail: It looks great, even unpainted. Took it to my body guy for a trial fit, and it was perfect. Bolted up easily, and fit just like it's suppose to. He wanted to wait a week or so to make sure that it has cured enough before painting. I will post some pics ASAP, probably around 7-17.

I haven't weighed either the stock or fiberglass hood but it felt like the Banshee Hood weighed about 1/2 as much as the stocker FWIW.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Looking forward to pix. I'd sure like to see a black one. I'm a little concerned that, with a black car, solar heating of the hood might warm the air too much. My hood gets damn hot on a sunny day.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
mistermike said:
Looking forward to pix. I'd sure like to see a black one. I'm a little concerned that, with a black car, solar heating of the hood might warm the air too much. My hood gets damn hot on a sunny day.
Can't say I know... but I am interested in this hood too, and your post might be taken to imply that carbon fiber holds heat. Is that true? And if so, wouldn't the air intake performance of this hood eliminate that?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing that hood on a GTO also. I think it is the best looking aftermarket hood so far, imo.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
hey man, we gotta have pics ASAP. i think this is the hood i would get, if i was in the market for one.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Huntress said:
Can't say I know... but I am interested in this hood too, and your post might be taken to imply that carbon fiber holds heat. Is that true? And if so, wouldn't the air intake performance of this hood eliminate that?
I don't know the specific heat for carbon fiber, or fiberglass for that matter. Either one is mostly plastic resins. Better ask 1stChildhood. On a sunny day with a warm engine, it's being heated from both sides, though. It may not need to store much heat, merely conduct it. Jaystew is probably best case scenario with the silver.

·
2,137 Posts
mistermike said:
I don't know the specific heat for carbon fiber, or fiberglass for that matter. Either one is mostly plastic resins. Better ask 1stChildhood. On a sunny day with a warm engine, it's being heated from both sides, though. It may not need to store much heat, merely conduct it. Jaystew is probably best case scenario with the silver.
It couldn't be worse than the metal hood could it?

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Huntress said:
It couldn't be worse than the metal hood could it?
Not knowing the specifics of the materials, it's hard to say, but it's certainly not out of the question. Also, it appears that the air coming from the scoop is channeled through the metal frame (assumption). Also might be worth asking if there are mounts or bosses for the insulating blanket on the pfyc hood.

·
2,137 Posts
Of course numbers would be nice too :D

Looking forward to more info out of this thread!

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My body man said that the hood is "air gapped" so it won't need the insulating blanket. It is two pieces molded together with a space in between. I specifically asked about heat being a problem and he was satisfied with the design.

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Huntress said:
Of course numbers would be nice too :D

Looking forward to more info out of this thread!
I'm not expecting to gain anything from the hood. Just the BLING factor!

·
2,137 Posts
JayStew said:
I'm not expecting to gain anything from the hood. Just the BLING factor!
Okay... but my understanding of the hood was that it is functional... as in you could get rid of the air box and get an after market open intake, as it channels the air to the area of the air box allowing open filtration.

But yes... the bling factor is high on this hood :thumbs:

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One more thing. The wiper nozzles won't work on this hood because it's thicker than OE. So I did some checking and ordered some nozzles for on 04 Grand Am that mount to the wiper arm.(8 Bucks each) Along with some extra tubing, it should work nicely. I'll update soon.

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Huntress said:
Okay... but my understanding of the hood was that it is functional... as in you could get rid of the air box and get an after market open intake, as it channels the air to the area of the air box allowing open filtration.

But yes... the bling factor is high on this hood :thumbs:
It is "functional" but not really Ram Air. If it's worth a pony or two, that will be icing on the cake.

·
2,137 Posts
JayStew said:
One more thing. The wiper nozzles won't work on this hood because it's thicker than OE. So I did some checking and ordered some nozzles for on 04 Grand Am that mount to the wiper arm.(8 Bucks each) Along with some extra tubing, it should work nicely. I'll update soon.
Ohhh that is even sweeter!

·
Registered
588 Posts
JayStew said:
Hood came in last week. First off the build quality is top notch. Hats off to PFYC for carrying a quality product :hail: It looks great, even unpainted. Took it to my body guy for a trial fit, and it was perfect. Bolted up easily, and fit just like it's suppose to. He wanted to wait a week or so to make sure that it has cured enough before painting. I will post some pics ASAP, probably around 7-17.

I haven't weighed either the stock or fiberglass hood but it felt like the Banshee Hood weighed about 1/2 as much as the stocker FWIW.
Depending on the process, switching to fiberglass should reduce hood weight by 25-35%.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
mistermike said:
Not knowing the specifics of the materials, it's hard to say, but it's certainly not out of the question. Also, it appears that the air coming from the scoop is channeled through the metal frame (assumption). Also might be worth asking if there are mounts or bosses for the insulating blanket on the pfyc hood.
First let me point out that he said he bought the fiberglass and not the carbon fiber hood. Here are the properties of carbon fiber. Dunno if these will mean anything to people but ta dah.

·
The Ghost & the Darkness
2,273 Posts
We want to see the pics! :secret:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts