LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2006 GTO C.G.M. 6 spd., h-pipe, flowmaster mufflers, DSS 1000 1 pc. Driveshaft
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wanted to post a question and a review of the DSS one piece I got for my 2006 GTO. What a fantastic product it truly made a difference with the car I am more than pleased. However I'm a very paranoid person that triple checks stuff after the job is done. Just my nature especially since my kids enjoy riding in the car. Anyway I crawled under the car checked to torque of the pinion flange bolts and noticed right in line with the driveshaft balancing weights that guess what was inline with the seat belt bolts the weights. Now i not only grounded the bolts, but also put locktight and a lock washer on the bolt. I put this driveshaft on this past Wednesday night and noticed that it kissed the nut of the seat belt. Should I be concerned? I emailed csp where I got it late last night about getting another one. I just don't want an issue down the road, or am I worried for nothing? Thanks.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Dang that sucks. I just did this install last night. Didn’t grind down the bolt to the nut but there’s not much left though I’ve noticed the same thing, the balance weight is right in line with the nut. I haven’t dropped it down yet until I free up the wheels to rotate it and see how much clearance I have.
How much movement should I expect with poly subframe mounts or how much clearance should there be?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So your driveshaft is like mine then? As far as your balance weights?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Guess so. I’ll get under it now and see if I can file down some more with all in place. I have poly mounts so I can’t see that end moving much

·
Wol Gemut
3,315 Posts
I have difficult understanding what you wrote. what exactly is the issue, the seat bolt bolts or something else?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just like the pic just posted. However mine just nicked the rivet head in the center. Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
921 Posts
I would be concerned about the weight being knocked off.
I just bounced around my driveway and heard a nice ‘tink’.
Back under it now taking off more material

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm. Do you think ever DSS driveshaft has the weights in the same place? I ask csp if I could have another driveshaft. I feel like that should be something to take into consideration when making these. It was to me a lot of money. I just dont want any issues down the road. Especially when you can tell the bolt is inside the cage nuts for the seat belts by a 1/16 of an inch.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Every shaft will balance differently. It’s a legit concert. My balance rivet head is just missing the bolt. I think the washer is hitting. Gonna try to shave another mm or 2

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok. Thanks for your input. Sometimes with these things I feel like I am overly cautious. I know these are kinda an obscure vehicle suspension and drivetrain wise, but I enjoy this car. I just hope this is something that they would be willing to exchange. I installed it to the T. Other than this issue it is awesome. I literally put like 15 miles on it. I dont drive it and put tons of miles on it. I'll report back.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do have red sub frame bushings in there from the previous owner. I would assume they would be good ones...

·
Wol Gemut
3,315 Posts
I just took the rear seat bottom out and replaced with shorter bolts. Am I missing the point? completely possible.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Might ask them if they will pay to have it rebalanced, marking a line when the bolt would be so they can avoid that location. That way no one loses much.
I just went out again after taking a few thou off, tried to shave down the nut to where the lower ridge is cleared, that way the main body of the nut is unaffected. Didn’t get that far being that I was too lazy take the shaft down for more working room and a hand file get tiring fast.
Drove like a maniac, not how I would handle driveways and speed bumps to force some major drivetrain and suspension articulation and got a clunk early on but just one during all my shenanigans.
Think my issue now is worn u- joints since I got my DSS used. It clunked in a sudden load or speed change then realizing that alum will amplify the smallest noises.
Aside from that I like that my drivetrain thumps are gone. The engine sounds like it’s loaded a lot more, almost struggling and just increases overrall powertrain feel

·
Registered
921 Posts
I do have red sub frame bushings in there from the previous owner. I would assume they would be good ones...
no. I just think every shaft will have the weights in different locations. His just happens to be right where the bolt is. Mine is off just a smidge

·
Worthless reject member
40,770 Posts
no. I just think every shaft will have the weights in different locations. His just happens to be right where the bolt is. Mine is off just a smidge
i think most shafts will have the weights around that spot. my CF shaft does. i might have .5" of clearance between the shaft and those seat belt nuts.

it is probably an issue with movement, and/or with failed mounts or bushings.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts