·
Registered
921 Posts
Dis one:

·
Worthless reject member
40,678 Posts
Yeah I remember reading that one.

With the suspensions and drivetrains the way they are in these cars, things can "stack" and you end up with small differences. Add in mileage and wear and you can end up being out more than you realise.

Design wise, i think the distance between tailshaft on the trans and the differential pinion yoke flange was intended to be the same on every GTO. Functionally, maybe not. You might be out a little, but i am sure things can be adjusted to bring it close.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dang that sucks. I just did this install last night. Didn’t grind down the bolt to the nut but there’s not much left though I’ve noticed the same thing, the balance weight is right in line with the nut. I haven’t dropped it down yet until I free up the wheels to rotate it and see how much clearance I have.
How much movement should I expect with poly subframe mounts or how much clearance should there be?
It tells you to grind the seat bolt off in the instructions. You could just pull the bolt and replace it with a shorter one or shorten the bolt and reinstall. Much easier than pulled the drive shaft again.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
I originally bought the dss one piece aluminum no weight interference it was at least 2” from seat belt bolt, but did grind bolt as instructed and also took my time with flappy wheel and ground the nut about 3/32s, that seat belt bolt is temper tight, also knocked down some of the flange surrounding the the nut, just to close for comfort better safe than sorry. Even with poly inserts any thing over 500rwhp deserves attention to detail, but in the end went with g-force carbon fiber, the aluminums suck for clank, park to reverse, reverse to drive etc. and muscle memory they bend in no time and will take out the rear bushing in your trans, and over time will get worse at top end, and will give you a super quiet drive line worth every 100$ spent.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This has been an ongoing problem with these cars. The OE shafts fit well, but larger aftermarket DSs do not at times. First, I am not a fan of pop riveted balance weights. Second, when I installed an Inland Empire one piece so many years ago I do not remember when, there was about 3/4s of an inch clearance without grinding the bolt. The DS is 3.5 wide.

Some like you have reported tighter clearances, while others have much more. This attributes to the build quality of the trailing arm and coil set up and other factors. It one of the reasons the OEM opted for a two piece shaft. I have a welded weight balanced shaft with a 1350 spicer diff yoke, and am happy for it. Good luck and let us know what you come up with to correct it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Well here is the deal fellas. I got my email from CSP. Which I knew once installed its used go through manufacturer. I get it I work at a dealer. I went through the hoops anyway. No hard feelings. Called The Driveshaft Shop. Was told they would rebalance and move the weights and that I would be responsible for shipping both ways. So I went to the shipping department where I work and calculated shipping I rounded up 45 bucks. Well there is a Driveshaft place about a half hour from where we are that told me $25 to balance and move the weight that was in the way. Thats the route I went. I felt I shouldn't have to pay shipping but thats neither here nor there. Im happy with the product, made very well. I figured why cause a stink and post the issue that I felt was kinda b.s. with the shipping and also the other big factor was what if it got damaged to N.C...

I marked with painters tape wrapped around the shaft where the weight wouldn't work... Can't really tell at all they moved the weight. Also I believe that the weights are actually friction welded to the shaft not riveted on. Put it on last night. I feel better now. Very pleased overall...

Plus just my 2 cents why I felt kinda like ok we will just pay shipping for rebalance. One just bought it, and two they should have a template where there would be an issue with clearance on these particular cars. However I understand no one Driveshaft will ever balance the same. I still give 5 stars for the purchase. Its part of the mod game. Definitely changed the car.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I take it your referring to rear subframe and suspension? To me it seems fine no clunks or issues. I feel like everything is good to go to my perception of how the car felt prior before the driveshaft and it feels tighter than it did before...

41 - 50 of 50 Posts