LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...powered Ram. Silver one as I was heading to the gym this morning. He pulls onto the same street as me and starts weaving in and out of traffic to catch up. We finally get side by side rolling around 20 and we punch it. I gotta admit I was surprise at how well that truck pulled, but probably not as surprised as he was when I moved out 4-5 lengths on him. We went two more times once from a stop and another from a roll again and the result was the same. He was really cool about it and gave me a thumbs up as he turned off.
 

·
Gone but not forgotten
Joined
·
4,672 Posts
the sticker price on those is like 60k something. and i heard that is a dealer added "market adjustment value". so the car is like 75 or 80k out the door. why is sam hill would someone not just buy the Viper? i mean, its not like anybody is really gone use the SRT for "truck" type of things like off roading and hauling stuff. so you are basically paying ALOT of money for a slower viper.
 

·
Yes, it has a car seat
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
$45850 + options - before markup. Unless you buy a whole bunch of mopar junk you stay under 50k.
Dan
 

·
04 Impulse blue/blue M6 GOAT
Joined
·
368 Posts
DANSLS1 said:
$45850 + options - before markup. Unless you buy a whole bunch of mopar junk you stay under 50k.
Dan
I like that "Mopar JUNK" lol :thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,214 Posts
I read that title for the thread and was gonna be like :slap: SRT-10 Viper gets killed by GTO, lol.


Sounds like a fun race, something i wish i saw on video.

SRT-10 is a nice truck and i would take one over the Lightning. Just looks better to me and nothing like 500 NA ponies to brag about. Traction has got to be a pain though.
Maybe 300-400lbs of top soil in the back for traction :drink:
 

·
Doc, Just Doc
Joined
·
8,767 Posts
It's a nice truck. But the only bad thing is that it is a truck. That kind of performance belongs in a well balanced car. That thing was made with one thing in mind: Ford Lightning to be #2. I guess that is does fill the gap for a redneck racecar (ahh, I mean race-truck).
 

·
Go Tigers!
Joined
·
2,455 Posts
What is up with Dodge putting these motors in Suv's, trucks(I know many of you
like trucks, I hate um, and they are not muscle to me), Magnums. This is a dam
station wagon for crying out loud. These vehicles do not scream muscle car era.
All these vehicles have their place, but save the muscle engines for muscle cars.
 

·
Gone but not forgotten
Joined
·
4,672 Posts
DANSLS1 said:
$45850 + options - before markup. Unless you buy a whole bunch of mopar junk you stay under 50k.
Dan

ok, so say 50 w/ options. 55k with dealer markup. add 10%(approximately for tax etc. you are still looking at ATLEAST 60k. you could buy TWO lightnings for that price. or buy one lightning and the mod living "expletive" out of it and it would blow the doors of an SRT. and at the end of the day, you STILL have a truck that you (or maybe it is just me) wouldn't do truck type stuff in (pull trailer, offroad, etc). also, maybe the straight line performance numbers are impressive, but the thing is still gonna handle like BIG @$$ truck b/c that is what it is. ridiculous.

if it were me (and it definetly isn't) i would just go out, buy the lighting. spend 10-15k modding it. and the spend the rest on a work horse. JMO
 

·
Sensible Contributor
Joined
·
1,439 Posts
V8 BRutes

Doc GTO said:
It's a nice truck. But the only bad thing is that it is a truck. That kind of performance belongs in a well balanced car. That thing was made with one thing in mind: Ford Lightning to be #2. I guess that is does fill the gap for a redneck racecar (ahh, I mean race-truck).
Nah, these are race trucks...

 

·
13 year owner
Joined
·
16,379 Posts
The Ram is quicker stock for stock vs. a Lightning. But the Lightning can be easily and cheaply modified to make insane levels of power. That can't be said of the Ram's V-10. It's a considerably more expensive vehicle to purchase then it's considerably more expensive to do engine work and/or adding forced induction.
 

·
13 year owner
Joined
·
16,379 Posts
Doc GTO said:
It's a nice truck. But the only bad thing is that it is a truck. That kind of performance belongs in a well balanced car. That thing was made with one thing in mind: Ford Lightning to be #2. I guess that is does fill the gap for a redneck racecar (ahh, I mean race-truck).
Some people (like myself) disagree. And I'm not a Redneck!

There's nothing like the shocked look on some punk in a Camaro's face when he gets waxed by a pickemup truck!

When all the problems of getting GTO's built and over here were common, I seriously considered cancelling my order and going to the dark side and getting an F-150 Lightning!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Yellow Jacket M6 said:
What is up with Dodge putting these motors in Suv's, trucks(I know many of you
like trucks, I hate um, and they are not muscle to me), Magnums. This is a dam
station wagon for crying out loud. These vehicles do not scream muscle car era.
All these vehicles have their place, but save the muscle engines for muscle cars.
The Magnum is awesome. I saw one in person the other day. It was mean looking. My pops is actually gettin one soon...He needs the storage space and wants a relatively fast and well handling car. The Magnum fits his desires and his needs. I say Cool ass ride. :thumbs:
Mike B
 

·
Yes, it has a car seat
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
ok, so say 50 w/ options. 55k with dealer markup. add 10%(approximately for tax etc. you are still looking at ATLEAST 60k. you could buy TWO lightnings for that price. or buy one lightning and the mod living "expletive" out of it and it would blow the doors of an SRT. and at the end of the day, you STILL have a truck that you (or maybe it is just me) wouldn't do truck type stuff in (pull trailer, offroad, etc). also, maybe the straight line performance numbers are impressive, but the thing is still gonna handle like BIG @$$ truck b/c that is what it is. ridiculous.

if it were me (and it definetly isn't) i would just go out, buy the lighting. spend 10-15k modding it. and the spend the rest on a work horse. JMO
Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying I necessarily think it's worth it - it's just you are like 20k less than a viper - and I'm sure just like the GTO the insurance is much better for the truck. I can respect the street trucks - but they are just not my style.
Dan
 

·
Gone but not forgotten
Joined
·
4,672 Posts
DANSLS1 said:
Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying I necessarily think it's worth it - it's just you are like 20k less than a viper - and I'm sure just like the GTO the insurance is much better for the truck. I can respect the street trucks - but they are just not my style.
Dan

agreed, i respect them in that i would probably never challenge one (unless i was in a mood to lose) but i still think they are ridiculous
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,214 Posts
I would rather have a car than a sport truck, but i have to admit these are cool vehicles to drive.
The lightning can be modded very very easy and i tip my hat to that, but i can't totally respect it because it doesn't have a hood scoop, and split dual exhaust ;)
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top