LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TLDR: Car got rear ended, did seemingly minimal damaged, total came out to $7k to other party’s insurance. Pics at bottom.

I don’t drive very much these days, getting around LA mostly on my bicycle, but on the one day I drove somewhere, I got rear ended in bumper to bumper on the I-10 by a Kia Rio driven by a twenty something Russian girl who’d been driving in the USA for 3 years. Lucky for me her insurance was not expired (it expired 3 days after the accident). The bike rack did a number on the trunk, spoiler, and bumper. And, the bike rack was toast.

So, took it to a few area body shops. Estimates came in between $4k and $5500. Took it to Progressive, and they did an estimate for $1800. *sad trumpet* If they had given me $4k, I would have taken the money, sold the car for what it was, broken even, and called it a day. But, Progressive decided to be cheap with their estimate. So, I took the car to get it fixed properly.

If you need to get your car fixed in Los Angeles, this place did a really great job: http://www.yelp.com/biz/c-and-c-collision-alhambra . No orange peel, the paint work is amazing. Had a couple little niggles with latches and fuel doors, but got it mostly sorted out now. Progressive initially cut a supplemental check to the bodyshop for $2200, bringing the total up to $4k. The body shop had to remove the rear glass, replace seals, remove rear seats, repaint both quarter panels, used trunk lid, remanufactured bumper, and I ordered a new bike rack. Here’s what the final total came up to:

In addition, I rented a car for 36 days (a MKVI Jetta 2.5SE and a Chrysler 200, the former of which was tolerable but plagued with electrical and TPMS issues, and the latter of which was all around horrendous). That was close to $1k as well.

So, for $8k, my car looks better than it did before (no spoiler!). Progressive could have saved half of it if they hadn’t been so stingy. Their managed care representative was great, though, and everything was handled professionally.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nice. But I still cant figure out why people dont like the original spoiler?..Maybe someone can help me out on this one?

·
SSgt @ USAF Hunger Games2K14
6,378 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
That sucks you had to pay that much out of pocket, looks great tho, now you dont have to drive around with a bucket of dicks on your trunk

·
Administrator
16,442 Posts
That sucks you had to pay that much out of pocket, looks great tho, now you dont have to drive around with a bucket of dicks on your trunk
Not sure how you got that information out of what he wrote, but Progressive paid the entire bill.

·
Neighborhood Vandalizer
537 Posts
From the looks of that avatar I'd chill out.

·
Got Zydrate?
2,450 Posts
Customer Responsibility - $0.00...
It should be $0 to repair back to OEM specs.

Since OEM is with a "bucket of dicks" spoiler, material and labor to weld in and smooth the filled holes should have been at the car owner's cost - not the insurance company's.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Even though a purist, I absolutely love these cars without the spoiler...Even though I traded mine last year, my fiancee still has hers, and I often wonder if she'd have an issue if I just took hers off, for kicks...I think the first time I saw a Monaro without one I wondered why in the world Pontiac decided to put one on these cars for sale in the US. Looks like a European sports coupe without it and with it, it looks a bit like it's trying too hard...Someone once said to me it looks like a shopping cart handle on the back...I think at the time in 03-04, perhaps they though it needed to compete with the Mustang GT which had many versions of the spoiler (just a guess)...

That said, it was the best car I've ever owned, by far--traded a year old C6 convertible for it and enjoyed every minute of it.

·
Wol Gemut
3,235 Posts
Even though a purist, I absolutely love these cars without the spoiler...Even though I traded mine last year, my fiancee still has hers, and I often wonder if she'd have an issue if I just took hers off, for kicks...I think the first time I saw a Monaro without one I wondered why in the world Pontiac decided to put one on these cars for sale in the US. Looks like a European sports coupe without it and with it, it looks a bit like it's trying too hard...Someone once said to me it looks like a shopping cart handle on the back...I think at the time in 03-04, perhaps they though it needed to compete with the Mustang GT which had many versions of the spoiler (just a guess)...

That said, it was the best car I've ever owned, by far--traded a year old C6 convertible for it and enjoyed every minute of it.
great post. yes, the masterminds at GM gave us the boomerang appendage and took away the digital HVAC. makes no sense to me. however, far more important, I am just glad they brought it over here.

·
Twin Goats...40 yrs apart!!
2,080 Posts
It should be $0 to repair back to OEM specs.

Since OEM is with a "bucket of dicks" spoiler, material and labor to weld in and smooth the filled holes should have been at the car owner's cost - not the insurance company's.
Based on GTO parts costs it may have been cheaper for the insurance company to weld the holes than replace the spoiler. The deck lid was getting replaced/painted anyway. The OP may have actually done them a favor and saved them money. Maybe he should have been paid by them for the spoiler...

great post. yes, the masterminds at GM gave us the boomerang appendage and took away the digital HVAC. makes no sense to me. however, far more important, I am just glad they brought it over here.
...And two third brake lights too! That's what made the spoiiler seem so cheesy and "add on" like a dealer installed option. Every other car I owned with an OEM spoiler had the HMSL mounted in the spoiler and not an extra in the rear window. Nice thing is when you ditch the stock spoiler you still have the third liht.

·
2006 GTO BOM - 1 of 171
176 Posts
Looks great "sandiegan" :patriot:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts