LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Nice :D I'm glad to see all the dyno #'s are matching up. All ya gotta do now is get a CAI and catback and let her breath some more :bubbrub

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Good looking numbers.
:thumbs:

·
Try Me
85 Posts
Hadals1 said:
Wow, impressive! These new goats are a lot more potent than the last gen F-bodies with the LS1 :thumbs:
I know of a few 02 Trans AM WS6 that put down 320+ To the wheels stock. The New Goats aren't anymore potent

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
NBS4 said:
I know of a few 02 Trans AM WS6 that put down 320+ To the wheels stock. The New Goats aren't anymore potent
:confused: I don't see how that is possible considering the 02 Trans AM WS6 is rated at 320 hp at the motor.

·
Disaster
339 Posts
TprGTO said:
:confused: I don't see how that is possible considering the 02 Trans AM WS6 is rated at 320 hp at the motor.
The Z28's and Trans Am's were way underated. They said the put out 325(02' models) at the flywheel, but 95% of the people that I know have put down 300rwhp to even about 315rwhp bone stock. So I figure they marketed them like that b/c they didn't want to lose Corvette sells (my $.02) Go to www.ws6zxr.com, they show lots of dyno graphs of stock F-body's :drink:

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
RAZRS EDGE said:
The Z28's and Trans Am's were way underated. They said the put out 325(02' models) at the flywheel, but 95% of the people that I know have put down 300rwhp to even about 315rwhp bone stock. So I figure they marketed them like that b/c they didn't want to lose Corvette sells (my $.02) Go to www.ws6zxr.com, they show lots of dyno graphs of stock F-body's :drink:

No joke there. FYI, the f-bodies and vettes and GTOs all have the same motor. Now 98-99 f-bodies dyno a little lower but 01-02 f-bodies got the straight 350hp LS1.

·
Disaster
339 Posts
Adam4356 said:
No joke there. FYI, the f-bodies and vettes and GTOs all have the same motor. Now 98-99 f-bodies dyno a little lower but 01-02 f-bodies got the straight 350hp LS1.
Exactly :thumbs: :drink:

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
leafbumperin said:
I don't know how much you all know about dynos, but I ran one at my college and you're not going to get the same exact number from two different dynos. On top of that, they can easily fall out of calibration and also there is an adjustment that can give you an extra 50 HP on paper before you even start the car. Basically, if there are a few cars that are stock from the factory that have considerable more power it's most likely the dyno and not the car. Trust me I love GM and the small block and am currently waiting on my GTO. These are just the facts that have to be considered when comparing numbers.

Richie
I've dyno'd my car on several dyno's around the area. All were DynoJet 248C's except for one mustang dyno. I've dyno'd at Performance Technical Center (PTC), Speed Inc., FLP, and Street Stuff (the mustang dyno).

While you are correct that there is varying numbers between dyno's, they generally fall within 2-5% of one another. The mustang dyno as history has shown, generally was the lowest of them, but overall, they were fairly consistent. DynoJet in their literature even states that there will be some variation between their dyno's but in general will be fairly close and accurate.

Weather conditions despite any correction must be factored in. On a nice, 56*, high pressure day, any car should generally physically have a stronger pull on the dyno than the same car being tested on an 86*, humid, low pressure day.

But at the end of the day, unless you have a few plug wires pulled, any dyno should be within a reasonable variance of one another. :D

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
But at the end of the day, unless you have a few plug wires pulled, any dyno should be within a reasonable variance of one another. :D
I had a few plug wires pulled.
Oh, you mean the ones on the car.
Never mind.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My numbers in my sig are with a catback and a K&N filter... 329RWHP.
The GTO is rated at more HP but might lose more through the drivetrain (independant rear).
And FYI - A stock Camaro SS or T/A WS6 will beat a stock LS1 vette in the 1/4!

·
Registered
112 Posts
SSunset SS said:
My numbers in my sig are with a catback and a K&N filter... 329RWHP.
The GTO is rated at more HP but might lose more through the drivetrain (independant rear).
The "generally accepted number" for drivetrain loss is 35 hp, for what its worth.

·
Disaster
339 Posts
SSunset SS said:
If the driver of the Vette is a retard, then yeah :sneaky: . Put professional drivers in them, Vette wins. Sad, but true :slap: :thumbs:

·
Registered
33 Posts
A 2002 F-Body LS1 car WILL BEAT any LS1 Vette in the 1/4 (both being stock). I don't care what you think. The Vette is by far a better car all around - My old man has a C5 and it is a technological masterpiece, but the drivetrain is very unefficient. The same motor is used in both cars. The F-Body has a traditional drivetrain while the Corvette has a long shaft between the motor and transmission plus an idependant rear. That all equals more HP loss than the F-Body. Add a 1/4 mile unfriendly suspension and the F-Body will beat it EVERYTIME.

Perfect example - the GTO is rated with MORE HP than any LS1 F-Body - yet it dyno's MUCH lower... again, the independant rear has robbed the GTO of a little HP. Plus from what I see/read/hear the GTO has some major traction issues with modified engines (even with ET streets).

Not trying to start an arguement here or flame anyone, but not only have I read information on this subject but I have seen it first hand time and time again...

·
\m/ (>.<) \m/
762 Posts
SSunset SS said:
A 2002 F-Body LS1 car WILL BEAT any LS1 Vette in the 1/4 (both being stock). I don't care what you think. The Vette is by far a better car all around - My old man has a C5 and it is a technological masterpiece, but the drivetrain is very unefficient. The same motor is used in both cars. The F-Body has a traditional drivetrain while the Corvette has a long shaft between the motor and transmission plus an idependant rear. That all equals more HP loss than the F-Body. Add a 1/4 mile unfriendly suspension and the F-Body will beat it EVERYTIME.

Perfect example - the GTO is rated with MORE HP than any LS1 F-Body - yet it dyno's MUCH lower... again, the independant rear has robbed the GTO of a little HP. Plus from what I see/read/hear the GTO has some major traction issues with modified engines (even with ET streets).

Not trying to start an arguement here or flame anyone, but not only have I read information on this subject but I have seen it first hand time and time again...
I disagree with your assessment. The F-body was known for wild variances in their dyno results. Some factory freaks were putting out well over 350 crank horsepower while some were lucky to get the rated 325, especially in 2002.

Some stock F-Bodies can beat Corvettes. But the average F-Body was a few ticks slower than the average Vette. That is a fact that has been borne out on so many tracks across the country.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts