LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my HID kit from Speed, Inc. this afternoon. I bought some extra caps that I can cut up and leave the originals alone. Did anyone put something around the edge where you cut to keep the cable/wires from chaffing? What about sealing it off? Do you have to cut through the o-ring in the cap? I'm thinking of using some clear RTV to put around the edge and also the section of missing o-ring.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
It would be too hard to remove the plugs if you used RTV to seal the wire into the cap. But a rubber grommet wouldnt hurt. Dont forget to post some before and after pics. ;)

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
What if you put a grommet with an ID size very close to that of the wire leading to the bulb? That would give some more protection to the wire and give a little less space for stuff to get in there.

·
Great Lakes Moderator
2,358 Posts
Do you have a part number for the caps?!? How much were they? Getting new caps so I don't have to cut up my originals is about the only thing holding me back from buying these HIDs
Thanks!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got the part numbers out in the garage. Will try and remember to post them tomorrow.

What a PITA this install was. :( The passenger side wasn't too bad. Just remove the battery and you've got a clear shot. The driver side was a whole different ballgame. I've still got the stock induction set up and it was damn near impossible to get the screws out of the plate holding the stock bulb in. I had to rip out the part that goes inside that box under the filter to even begin gettin them out. I tried to get the airbox out too but it's held down by a second screw UNDER the coolant reservoir. If I ever meet the moron who designed that I'll murderize him!

Then the plate with the xenon bulb wouldn't quite line up with the screw holes on that side. I got two of the screws cinched down nicely but the third I couldn't get all the way down. The bulb is solid in there though.

I was also under the impression that the industrial velcro everyone uses to anchor the ballasts was included with the kit. Guess not. I've got the connections and sides of the box wrapped in electrical tape to prevent it from touching the metal around it. I need to find some velcro tomorrow though for sure.

It's hard to say so far if it was worth it. I drove around for a little while after finishing up. The beam height/cutoff is almost exactly the same as it was stock but it seems like the lights don't project as far down the center as they used to. Side to side coverage is amazing. Down the center though looks bright as day for about 30 feet max then darkens pretty quickly.

EDIT: Those caps cost me about $30 for both and that was with having them overnighted from Philly to Chicago. I got them through a dealer here.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Pics

Here are the before and after pictures. I took them against a garage door about 20'-25' away.

DSC05839.JPG = Before
DSC05840.JPG = After

Looking at the pictures, you can't really tell how yellow the HIDs make the stock lights look. I flipped my high beams on and there's a definite difference now. Any "white" halogen light looks yellow compared to these.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Links to the images dont work... Try using the upload feature instead.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Try the pics now, they should work.

Well tonight went a lot better. Jon from Speed, Inc. clued me into how to get the coolant reservoir and airbox out. VERY easy to do now. I got some velcro and secured the ballasts. I'm a little leary of the passenger side. I mounted it to the underside of the top of the inside fender, if that makes any sense. If it works its way loose I've got another spot that might work. It's about the same spot I mounted the driver's side ballast in. Underneath the turn signal bulb.

I'm a little worried about what will happen when I drive it in the rain. I heard of someone that was having problems with the ballasts grounding themselves when they get water around them.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm having issues with the ballasts grounding themselves against the metal in the car. The lights stay on even with the switch off. I think and hope I've got the passenger ballast far enough away from everything to not short out. the velcro just wasn't holding so I put some black RTV between the velcro and the body of the car.

If that doesn't work, I don't know where to put them. I've got each on a flat piece of metal to the outside of the turn signals.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts