LS1GTO Forums banner

Got to drive a 2009 Z06 yesterday, really liked it

5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  dreloc 
#1 ·
A friend just bought himself a 2009 Z06 in screaming yellow. I was never thrilled with the C5s as a whole but I'd never been in a C6 so couldn't form an opinion. I have driven one of the first C7s that were delivered to Nebraska and even as a base model I REALLY like that one.

I went to a housewarming party for my friend's daughter and my buddy was busy so he tossed the keys to his son with instructions to take me for a ride. He handed me the keys as we walked to the car. I had seen the car before, but never got a chance to drive it. We started in a neighborhood with narrow crappy streets, made it to larger streets and eventually to a short run on a semi-rural interstate. The son put it in full competition mode even before I got the car started. Even at that it rode nicely, firm without being harsh. The torque curve was a thing of beauty. Came to the first Interstate on ramp and let loose. I'm sure the traction control nannies were saving my butt, but damn skippy did it go. Didn't really get a chance to get a feel for the handling capabilities but I could tell it would be fantastic. My buddy said we will make plans to track it together next Spring.

The rear vision was pretty limited but not as bad as some late model Camaros I've been in. I liked the heads up display, it was actually useful instead of just being a gimmick. It was dangerously and deceptively fast. On the larger street still in town where the limit was 40 we were rolling at 55 and it didn't seem like we were even over the limit. Loved the exhaust gurgle when I let off on the throttle. I could live with a car like this, but alas, I don't think my bank account could.

We drove home quite happily in the GTO though, so as much as I enjoyed the car it did not give me an urge to splurge. But a Maggie on the GTO sure would be fun......

See less See more
#3 ·
A Maggied GTO would still get walked by a stock C6Z, and putting headers and a tune on it would just wipe the floor with the GTO. Or, do like most people that fix the heads: ported heads, cam, and header. Boom, you better hope the GTO is making over 800whp if you want a chance.

#4 ·
I'm not wanting to compete, just commenting how fun/nice a blower would be, just gotta love that flat torque curve. One of the cars I have that brings me the most joy is probably the slowest one I own (the L79 Chevelle). Well, it is quicker than the truck at least. Speed and quickness are not the only criteria I have for enjoying a car.

#5 ·
So true for me as well. I wouldn't have 2 GTO's if speed and quickness were my main criteria. If so, they would be gone and a new Z06, Hellcat or ZL1 would be in my garage.

That said, I'd personally rather have a few fun cars, than just one.

#7 ·
Unless you need 4 seats do it guys. 1st car I have had that I didn’t feel the need to modify. Replaced my 20k mile 06 with this 2011 ZO6/Z07 which had 25k miles on it. I have had no issues with it and still on stock heads with 30k. ? . Got it for 43k original sticker was 93k. Love that GM depreciation.

Patrick

Attachments

#9 ·
#11 ·
Not sure what the hate is all about , sounds like a high-revving LS engine going through Corsa exhaust to me. :dunno:

Personally wouldn’t buy anyone’s project engine however. Not sure how many flat plane crank LS’s are out there, first I’ve seen on the Internet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.