LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup

I've been clean for years and got a ticket a few months back in the middle of Iowa for 10mph over going to Ames.

Coming back from haning with the guys driving on Gary Ave just coming up to Lake street I come to a stop and this guy stops right on my bumper, and I can see some electronics in his car and think its a cop, but see blinkers on his mirrors and think its a tuner benz or something. Light turns green, cheerys and berrys go off and the spot light to blind me.

I seriously wasnt driving too be either (I made a little noise leaving the cruise night and thought he saw me there). I pulled over and cut the engine (no need for them to hear the exhaust). I get a ticket for 13 over. It boggles my mind because 13-ish over is normal here. But its almost mid night I have out of state plates and its a yellow car.

I am always polite and request to take off the seat belt and to reach into my pocket before doing so, just showing respect.

Anywho... its my first ticket in IL, I hope I get supervision but am not couniting on it.

A second cop was there for a minute (which I hate, it looks REALLY bad with 2 cops behind me) and he seemed to be a rookie, he was scooping out my tires and the officer that pulled him over showed him the few tread marks the drag radials had and sad "nah these are ok...see there"

So Im happy, I just wont drive thru there too fast anymore. $75 I think and hopfully supervision.

Its been a looooooooooooong day.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
13 over? that is horse****.......come on......that sucks man

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yellow car at midnight with out of state plates .... ya know. Could have been WAY worse I suppose. I hesitate to list them publicly but things like the exhaust, tires, and no front plate could have been made a headache.

I think the cop was a nice guy tho.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
What is "supervision'?

Is that the same as going to traffic school in AZ so it doesn't show up on your insurance record?

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
DevilYellow said:
. But its almost mid night I have out of state plates and its a yellow car.
IIts been a looooooooooooong day.
Yeah, I would say those are the factors for the ticket. That sucks dude.
Get some rest. :zzz:

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not 100% keen as to how the IL stuff works (WI made alot more sense with the points based system). In IL I can not get 3 moving violations in 12 months or I loose my license, for the first few offenses in awhile you can request supervision which pretty much means if you dont get another ticket for a set period of time the first one goes away (fine still has to be paid) if you DO get another ticket in that time then both stick.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Ironic we were talking about getting tickets out of state last time we hanged out, dunno if you were there for that. Did they make you pay on the spot? If someone from out of state in WI gets ticketed you have to pay on the spot or spend the night in jail, which is spelt Gaol in australia.

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
well i hate to break the news but out of state drivers cannot get supervision. illinois and about 30 other states have a pact which is called a "promise to comply" and theses states call themselves "compact states" (illinois and michigan both part of) the meaning of all of this is that out of staters can either plead guilty or not guilty (the other option would be guilty with supervison or safety school) so what this all means that if you mail the ticket in, your pleading guilty and because michigan and illionis are both part of the compact states michigan will put this conviction on your record, if there would be any surevision it would have to be on michigans end, but i know for a fact that illinois will not let you go on supervision if lets say i got a ticket in michigan. the only other option would be to come back to illinois for your court date and plead not guilty, but if the cop got u on radar, it would be hard to fight, so your kinda screwed. personaly i would never ticket someone for 13 over, thats a pretty pimpy ticket.... come on i do 13 over in my squad all the time... im sorry to hear that you got the ticket, but figured id give you some info on whats up.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im not an out of state driver......I have an IL license.

Edit, had a IL license until the cop took it.

If I had an WI license still I'd be thrilled because it wouldnt count agaisnt me. (WI is not a part of any compact :D ... which can work out to be good or bad)

Gotza.... any tips for dupage county? That Iowa ticket was June 5th, and the officer that pulled me over said that because of it Im not eligable for supervision via mail. That was a 10 over ticket, at like 7am, in the middle of nowhere Iowa on I80.

I posted all the details about this citiation.

Dont get me wrong, Im happy that I dont get tickets for when I'm going faster but I didnt even realize I was speeding. There was noone else on the road so it was hard to gauge any "flow of traffic" but I usually follow the flow and that is usually 10-15 over in the suburbs I drive thru.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
DY,
i am only somewhat familiar with the traffic citations in IL. but it sounds like that first ticket in Iowa has really screwed you. b/c otherwise you should have been able to pay the $75 +$20 and go to traffic school and get supervision for a year (i have done this multiple times w/o issues). if it looks serious i would talk to a lawyer. i know this sounds extreme but it might be the best way to make sure that this does not go on your permanent record.
i had a buddy in high school with a string of speeding tickets. he got a good lawyer and went to court and somehow was able to keep his license and record clean. it cost him some $$$. but it was worth it.
that really sux bro, i know how you feel.
its sounds like they were just picking on you b/c you were a younger looking guy driving a flashy guy. (where have i heard that one before)

·
Registered
835 Posts
I hope you don't take too big a hit on the insurance, hopefully with one of the tickets in Iowa the insurance guys won't find it.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
cjlannoy said:
I hope you don't take too big a hit on the insurance, hopefully with one of the tickets in Iowa the insurance guys won't find it.
as long as it doesn't go on his permanent driving record he should be ok. :)
cough get a lawyer cough cough

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
oh on a side not. if you had an 1986 Iroc Camaro with T tops. you definetly would not have gotten that ticket. its sweet car. yeah, its sweet. its got about 270 horse. ;)

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
Man those laws over there are screwy. Here in Indiana, if you get a ticket but have
not had any tickets in the past 3 years, it is NOT reported to the insurance. Now if you get a ticket, the officer does not take your liscense and you don't have to do squat except pay it, or show up in court and fight it. No classes, or any of that
bull****. Now if you get multiple tickets in a year(more than 3 I believe) it's a different
story. In this case if someone is stupid enough to get more than 3 in a year then
they need to have some action taken against them.

·
Moving Forward
2,163 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
oh on a side not. if you had an 1986 Iroc Camaro with T tops. you definetly would not have gotten that ticket. its sweet car. yeah, its sweet. its got about 270 horse. ;)
I wonder the legality of one State's laws affecting a citizen in another state. Has anyone ever challenged these. Even though the state agreed i wonder. In NY, as far as i remember VTL, even though the tri-state areas, NJ, PA and NY, are interconnected if you get a ticket in NJ it will have no effect in NY and vice-versa. We have even more interesting rules where the MTA (Metropolitan Transit Authority) has jurisdiction in 3 states, yet they can be employed in NY and give out tickets in NJ. I'm not sure if that would affect you license either, but they usually stick to the Transit Authorities property and aren't normally found giving out speeding tickets on the highway (i'm sure they would get flack from local cops if they started doing that, but they sure as hell give out parking tickets).

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
you were a younger looking guy driving a flashy guy. (where have i heard that one before)
uhh.... :sneaky: :secret: :wall: :gr_jest:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
DY you have my sympathy. That being said you must have the highest ticket per goat miles of anyone on the board.
:drink::drink:

·
Great Lakes Moderator
2,358 Posts
I'm surprised they didn't give you more trouble about the WI registration... or is it in someone elses name/joint? Good luck with these tickets!

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This was the first time ever pulled over in the GTO, the Iowa ticket was in a rental. I know a few MI guys that have more tickets per goat than me.

The registration stuff is all very nicely setup and I hope it stays that way. In my name only going to my WI address but stored up at my buddy's place up north. (I did this with my GN so that I didnt have to dig it up in the winter and take it in for emissions). I only had a few tests with the GN and the times it went it passed perfectly. It was getting very close to collector plate time so it didnt even matter.

But yea, Im happy that I didnt get hassled on the WI registration.

I only have had one other conviction ever back 3/4 years ago in Washington County WI. In Milwaukee county you always get a lawyer and they'll get you out of it or very close to out of it. In IL it seems like lawyers are a waste of money unless its a DUI or drag racing. I'll just go there and hope that I get supervision.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
yeah, that is probbaly the thing to do. plead guilty and ask for supervision. if this is only you second ticket and you have a clean record then they will probably be lenient, (just hope you get nice judge that day). you might want to contact a lawyer just so you can have your facts straight. JMO.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts