LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
WOT's Up Doc?
Joined
·
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its about time to put my sweetie in storage for the winter (I mean the GTO).

Can I get some ideas on what I need to do? My concerns are fuel, battery, and tires. But I would like as much help as I can get.
 

·
Enjoy the trolls
Joined
·
2,548 Posts
Fill up the gas tank as much as you can. Put a bottle of Stabil or any high quality gas stabilizer. Disconnect the battery altogether and put it in your garage or house. Another option is to install a solar powered trickle charger or just turn it on once a week or so. Inflate the tires to about 5 psi higher than normal and expect flat spotting.

Here in AZ, I am doing the opposite. I am prepping the car to be driven hard daily during winter, and also preparing to install some major kickazz mods.
 

·
Enjoy the trolls
Joined
·
2,548 Posts
What for?

illuvial said:
Yeah, I was worried about the tires.

What about taking them off for the winter?
In case of an emergency and your garage is burning and you have to either push or move the car out of the way, how are you gonna do that?

Do you really want 3800 lbs of car resting on 4 metal points like jackstands?

Tires are cheap to replace. Your car crashing in to the ground is not.
 

·
Gone but not forgotten
Joined
·
4,672 Posts
it would probably help if you could go drive the GTO every two weeks or so. that is what i hope to do.
 

·
2004 Pontiac GTO
Joined
·
167 Posts
Desertgoat...is that your garage?? If so, are those windows on the side wall, or is it more of an "open air" parking structure? Looks clean!
 

·
Enjoy the trolls
Joined
·
2,548 Posts
Those are real windows

Quicksilver said:
Desertgoat...is that your garage?? If so, are those windows on the side wall, or is it more of an "open air" parking structure? Looks clean!
with pull down shades. Thanks. Yes it is very clean. In fact it is immaculate.

I love my garage. 1200 sq feet, 40 feet wide by 30 feet deep with 3 separate bays and about 35 wall to wall cabinets. It also has a built in stereo system, 2 built in workbenches with a TV and computer/DSL installed.


 

·
Enjoy the trolls
Joined
·
2,548 Posts
Where do you live?

illuvial said:
Anybody else have recommendations?
Are your winters really that bad you couldn't drive the goat at least once a week?
 

·
I like boobs.
Joined
·
6,581 Posts
Wow, i'm jellous of your garage...
 

·
Est. Apr 2004
Joined
·
5,861 Posts
I'm planning on putting my goat on a betterytender, inflating the tires to 50 PSI or less and at least starting it every once in awhile. Also before you put her away change the oil and filter. Wouldn't hurt to put her under a cover too. I'm concerned about using Stabil, I put it in my lawn mower last winter and the carb was hosed come spring. Anyone have any thougts on it?
 

·
I hack cars.
Joined
·
8,111 Posts
I have no idea why but when I saw this topic all I could think was "Ole Yeller" ;)
 

·
Moving Forward
Joined
·
2,163 Posts
GTPprix said:
I have no idea why but when I saw this topic all I could think was "Ole Yeller" ;)
I plan on driving it through every winter storm we have in our area. Then again it is the only car i have. After driving with an Automatic Mustang through a blizzard on purpose i really learned how to drive in snow. Now with that much more power i was a little concerned. But after really seeing and feeling a manual transmission, i'm starting to feel that a manual will be even better in the snow. I was thinking of buying a second set of rims to put winter tires on. But i was driving with worn out tires on the Mustang and had no problems at all.
 

·
Gone but not forgotten
Joined
·
4,672 Posts
Razinhell said:
I plan on driving it through every winter storm we have in our area. Then again it is the only car i have. After driving with an Automatic Mustang through a blizzard on purpose i really learned how to drive in snow. Now with that much more power i was a little concerned. But after really seeing and feeling a manual transmission, i'm starting to feel that a manual will be even better in the snow. I was thinking of buying a second set of rims to put winter tires on. But i was driving with worn out tires on the Mustang and had no problems at all.
let us know how it goes. i am very curious to see how the GTO handles in the bad snow. but i hope that i have to find out first hand
 

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
Joined
·
14,481 Posts
radkon said:
Also before you put her away change the oil and filter.
This is something I have wondered about. Oil has a "mileage" and "time" life. If you are using dino oil it supposably goes bad in three months. That would require a change again when you pull it out. I am due for a change on Mobile 1 but I only have a month of driving left before storage. I'll be lucky to put another 1000 miles on a 4000 mile run w/ M1. My thought was to change it when I bring her back out in the spring.
 

·
grinning ever since...
Joined
·
452 Posts
illuvial said:
Its about time to put my sweetie in storage for the winter (I mean the GTO).

Can I get some ideas on what I need to do? My concerns are fuel, battery, and tires. But I would like as much help as I can get.
Drive it every day, it might even lower your cholesterol! :gr_jest:

My GTO is a daily driver come sun, rain or snow (well, as much as possible)... she's too much fun to drive to leave alone all winter!
 

·
13 year owner
Joined
·
16,379 Posts
Get a trickle charger. Dirt cheap at Wally World!

Also for the tires, these are radial tires, flat spotting will be temporary. After a few revolutions, they'll pop back. However, if you're still worried you can do one or more of three things.

1) Put the car on jackstands just enough to extend the suspension and take the full load off the tires.

2) Put carpet reminents under the tires. This actually serves two purposes. Any battery drain goes to ground, the tires are the final ground and any discharge of your batter over winter will go through the tires. Putting the carpet between the tires and the floor just slows that rate. Plus the carpet will deform and help eliminate some flat spotting on the tire.

3) Buy a set of dollies. They make 4 casted tire dollies.
 

·
CAUTION!!!!
Joined
·
9,883 Posts
u guys arent going to like this, but i two have to drive my goat all winter here in chi town, but i figure i never crashed my 87 T/A with the only traction control being my right foot and my squad is RWD, so i know i can handle it. and as a side note, my GTO is 100 times better in the rain then my squad (crown vic)!
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top