LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I got inspired by this thread http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4419&highlight=nav and decided to duplicate 1coolpc's work. Indeed the navman is the only portable unit I've seen that does the 3D/Bird's eye map drawing ala nissan/infiniti. The price was right in line with the feature set as well. Nav was something I really wanted in a new car. I just wish it had come with it from GM/Holden.

Install-
I hard-wired a radio shack cigarette lighter socket under the dash and plugged the adapter from the nav unit into that. Then I snaked the business end of the power cord between the little drawer under the radio and that catch-all tray in front of the shifter. Plug it all in, turn the key and, BAM... nav-i-goat!

Here's some pics.

·
Registered
276 Posts
nice job; i did the exact same thing, i paid $499 for the unit, and bought an antenna on ebay for $12. i added a cigarette lighter plug where to the harness where the "smoker's package ash-tray" would go..its visible once you remove the cubby hole thing. i put the antenna under the flat-plastic panel on top of the air vents, so its totally invisible, works perfect if you need one; i could not get any signal, or i was getting very erratic signal without an external antenna

·
Registered
84 Posts
well i just got the delphi unit, i belive it is the same thing, but it dosen't have the 3d feature? is this included on the upgrade package? ialso i don't like the idea of cramming it down in the hole cause you gotta push pretty hard. i am goint to seek alternative means of mounting i believe.

·
Big Daddy Says
1,992 Posts
mike_ct said:
nice job; i did the exact same thing, i paid $499 for the unit, and bought an antenna on ebay for $12. i added a cigarette lighter plug where to the harness where the "smoker's package ash-tray" would go..its visible once you remove the cubby hole thing. i put the antenna under the flat-plastic panel on top of the air vents, so its totally invisible, works perfect if you need one; i could not get any signal, or i was getting very erratic signal without an external antenna

what is the brand and P/N on the antenna? i'm going to pick mine up this weekend...

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
The Delphi one will have forward view when you get the upgrade software. I was dismayed at first that it didn't have bird's eye but now it does. Vastly superior to overhead maps in my opinion.

I'll post a clear photo later.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Has anyone done any research on these items from CAPA?

HSV GPS Dash Surround
Suitable for 5.4" VDO Dayton Satellite Navigation Screens. Fits VY Commodore, 2004 Pontiac GTO, Vauxhall Monaro.

Satellite Navigation System
As used in HSV Vehicles. Includes 5.4" Colour Screen, Computer, Remote, GPS Antenna & Latest Map Disc

·
GO STEELERS!
5,106 Posts
Or get the Eclipse DVD/CD/Nav system that fits right in the Double Din space.

·
RIP George...
2,163 Posts
miamio said:
Has anyone done any research on these items from CAPA?

I was looking at those items just the other day also wondering how they are used. I thought about checking all of the aussie websites to see if I could find some info there. I'll provide some links if I find anything.

·
Registered
199 Posts
What model Delphi / Navman units are these? I like what you guys have done here, and the speedometer on the GPS unit will help too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts