LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
DOG
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
played with a grand prix GTP early, just rolling along, Got up to about 100 on a reasonably empty stretch of four lane road.

He pulled right along behind me, not quite keeping step, not quite getting left behind. Definitely a good match. No idea what he had, but he did have a few stickers on the left window and some body mods on the back, so I guess he was a little modified.

Definitely a good match, and would have been interesting from a standing start, but I won't race on road, unless I know its safe x 100, there are absolute no cars, and its deserted. Playing is different though ;)

Seriously, road racing can kill, and being a numbnut and killing yourself is fine, but I hate seeing people kill others. (Give you an example, that lingenfelter vette vs that ricer, I don't mind cause while they were playing in the crowded area, the kid in the ricer said that it ISN'T a good area to race, went somewhere where at least it was safe, and they shut it down at a predetermined spot, and didn't just go blindly for miles. Believe it or not, I don't have issues with that (flame on))

·
Registered
294 Posts
I sold my 1999 GTP to buy my GTO! The GTP group has keep Pontiac alive, until a rear wheel car like the GTO came along. A few of them have modded and reduced weight and are running those cars pretty good. I had changed to a smaller puller for my supercharger, modified my intake with a custom airbox and K & N and a few other things that put the car in the 290-300 HP range from 250 stock.

The 3800 engine in those cars is easily modded and a workhorse with that 'charger on top! Still should notbe a problem for a stock GTO.

·
DOG
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
04bluegto said:
nice kill even though The dad(GTO) shouldnt be beating his kid(GTP)!!
Was hardly a kill, was more playing then racing.

A modified GTP is a very good match for a stock GTO, though I think I had a hair on him (and maybe that).

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Modded GTP is a killer sleeper. For the same reasons the FoMoCo boys love the 03 Cobra the GTP crowd has a platform for some sick FI mods.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
tiggerfan said:
Sorry, a cam shaft alone isn't getting you almost 4 seconds.

Either he's lying or he's done a LOT more then he's listed.

i agree. but his email is from intense.com. so i bet he has ATON of Intense mods.

you dont get into the 10s on with GTP w/o some SERIOUS mods.

·
Registered
18 Posts
gtodriver7 said:
i agree. but his email is from intense.com. so i bet he has ATON of Intense mods.

you dont get into the 10s on with GTP w/o some SERIOUS mods.
He does have a lot of mods. Hes got the fastest L67 powered car in the country. With just the mods he has listed you wouldn't be no where near 10's.

·
DOG
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
KnightHawk said:
Was that GTP black? Where you turning onto Big Ben from Covington Park??? I think that might have been me.
Muhahahaha, thats funny.

Yes, that would be me. *STUPID INTERNET, post about some guy you played with and he shows up to set the record straight. Can't even tell a good car story anymore*

Nice car BTW. Mind if I ask whats been done to it?

Love to go out and run a real stoplight to stoplight some time around here.

I would have gone to play some more but I was just running out for some food and my wife was expecting me back quickly.

·
DOG
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
KnightHawk said:
He does have a lot of mods. Hes got the fastest L67 powered car in the country. With just the mods he has listed you wouldn't be no where near 10's.
Or the track is angled down at a 45 degree angle.

I don't doubt you could get a GTP into the 10's and in fact, with the right set up and enough cash, I'd think the occasional 9 would happen on a street legal car.

Seriously, a pontiac GTP would have been my next car if the GTO didn't come out. There are still some things I wish it had (HUD and Onstar) that I could get on the GTP but there is no replacement for displacement and this car drives like a dream. The GTO's seats are out of this world.

Throw a supercharger on top of the GTO's 5.7 and there isn't much that is going to touch it. And probably very little under 40 Grand total. And nothing that is anywhere near as comfortable for the driver. (I know what you can do with an EVO or an STi, and I know I'd be sick of sitting in that seat after an hour. I regularly drive long distance and the GTO is a great car for driving distance in)

·
DOG
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
18 Posts
tiggerfan said:
Yup. Knew it wasn't stock. I wouldn't say its heavily modified but its a 13 second car.

Biggest differences are the intercooler and the 3 inch pulley.
I know my mod list says SLP Headers...but they are still my trunk. I would like to run you sometime though. From a stop. GTP's have no top end.

·
Registered
18 Posts
tiggerfan said:
Muhahahaha, thats funny.

Yes, that would be me. *STUPID INTERNET, post about some guy you played with and he shows up to set the record straight. Can't even tell a good car story anymore*

Nice car BTW. Mind if I ask whats been done to it?

Love to go out and run a real stoplight to stoplight some time around here.

I would have gone to play some more but I was just running out for some food and my wife was expecting me back quickly.
The only reason why I found out about it was b/c a GTO owner who is also on Club GP put up a post about it. http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=1449793&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1 One day we can set up a little meeting, so we can race.

·
DOG
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
KnightHawk said:
The only reason why I found out about it was b/c a GTO owner who is also on Club GP put up a post about it. http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=1449793&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1 One day we can set up a little meeting, so we can race.
Sounds good to me. Like I said, safety is a big issue for me, so either we can go down to bradenton for a test & tune or we can find a reasonably deserted stretch of road around here (of which there is plenty)

Should be fun though. Be interesting to see as the only modification's my car has had is a complete restructuring of the rear body after some b*tch plowed into me (well the guy behind me) and there are plenty of plans for the GTO.

The real GTO to race around here is tterbo's over in St Pete.

·
Registered
18 Posts
tiggerfan said:
Sounds good to me. Like I said, safety is a big issue for me, so either we can go down to bradenton for a test & tune or we can find a reasonably deserted stretch of road around here (of which there is plenty)

Should be fun though. Be interesting to see as the only modification's my car has had is a complete restructuring of the rear body after some b*tch plowed into me (well the guy behind me) and there are plenty of plans for the GTO.

The real GTO to race around here is tterbo's over in St Pete.
Ok we will set up a time when we can do it. I dont have my headers on yet....they are in my trunk but thats not the problem. My tires are bald and are some no name brand. I spin them until 40 or so. I supposed to be getting tires for my birthday which is in like 2 weeks. Once I get the tires Ill be glad to run you. And I know plenty of places where we can race. You dont mind driving to Ruskin do you?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts