LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, my name is Scott and I am the one responsible for the custom install for Josephra's goat. This was a lot of fun to do, even through a long night or two. Anyway...

Just wanted to say hi and thanks for the positive comments on the install I did.

Feel free to contact me with questions or help, at least as much as I can over a keyboard.

Enjoy and keep it under 150mph :)

Scott Moore
Magnolia A/V
Bellevue, Wa

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
ScottM said:
Hey everyone, my name is Scott and I am the one responsible for the custom install for Josephra's goat. This was a lot of fun to do, even through a long night or two. Anyway...

Just wanted to say hi and thanks for the positive comments on the install I did.

Feel free to contact me with questions or help, at least as much as I can over a keyboard.

Enjoy and keep it under 150mph :)

Scott Moore
Magnolia A/V
Bellevue, Wa
Scott - my compliments to you on the install. It looks very cool, and I can only hope to one day have just as neat of a setup in my goat.

·
Registered
129 Posts
That GTO is something to be proud of. Anybody who has done any car audio through the years knows what you did takes a lot of talent, time, and patience. Great job. I was impressed. The back seat enclosures are probably the highlight of that install. At least in my opinion..

·
Registered
113 Posts
ScottM said:
Were there any tricky parts GTO-wise along the way? What if anything did you do the hard way because of the usual first time disassembly that would be easy the second time?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Can I pass you my resume for when Magnolia expands to SE Michigan? :D Home audio/video's my forte, but hey, I'm a fast learner ;)

But seriously...gorgeous install, and yes, expect some questions from me in a few weeks. I'll be honest...I'm gonna bite off of your design, I just love it too much. Luckily I'm so far away, heh.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A Fun Car to Work On!

I grew up around the classic GTO's I had 3 different friends that drove a '69, '70, and a '72 respectively. There isn't a car like it! The new ones are really no different.

The install I performed was a resume' of a cumulation of 15 years of install experience. With every car is a new trick learned. I like to refer to it as my evolution in the industry I love. With this latest GTO, I found that it was a lot easier to work with that anticipated. Since this vehicle was built down under, it had some things that were not your average GM product. First the stereo doesn't have a type 2 data bus system running through it like the more common GM vehicles you find. OnStar was missing, Blaupunkt is definetly not a household GM name, and a few other small things that I found while inside this car. For me the first time working on a new GTO was obviously a learning experience. Naturally I took things slow and and made sure I didn't break anything:) The most time consuming part of the install was in the fiberglass fabrication. The subwoofer enclosures were a 5 step process that started with a simple frame that represented the outer perimeter and the back of the enclosure. I use a material that is more commonly known as polyester fleece and stretched it around this frame to create the basic shape of the rear of the enclosure. After applying resin to the cloth and letting it harden, I reinforced the inside with a few layers of 1.5oz fiberglass mat. Second, was building the front. This starts with making a baffle ring(the part the woofer screws to). Once positioned over the rear shell, I stretched fleece over the front. This creates the front shape. Once again resin, harden, and reinforce. The enclosure is created. Third is the finishing process. Sanding, contact adhesive, and a layer of black trunk liner. Fourth is simply bolting it in. Before I did that I applied a layer of Dynamat Xtreme to the outer body wall and the inner wall of the rear plastic panel. This assures me that the plastic panel doesn't rattle apart from the massive amounts of moving air directly behind. Fifth, is wiring it to the amplifier. That's it. Over time there will undoubtedly be noises and rattles that appear from the motion these woofers create, but with the amount of preplanning I put into this the rattles will be minor and hopefully few. I guess installing a subwoofer would be considered an extreme test of how well built a vehicle is:) If there were anything different I would have like to do to this car, it would have been to install the front speakers in kick pods. Since this manual transmission limits floor space due to the clutch pedal, this was really the only compromise. The best part though, is the factory tweeter locations lend themself very well to MB Quart Q series tweeters. Since these speakers are designed for this kind of application, it was a no brainer were to put them. The sound stage is phenominal from these locations. It's a system that truly demonstrates the potential of a system when you keep the design simple and well balanced. You won't find many systems that can perform that well with only 6 speakers.

Anyway, thanks again for the compliments! Let me know if I can help.

Scott

·
Registered
113 Posts
Did you interface the steering wheel controls with the head unit and if so did you build the interface yourself or use a pre-built? I know the Pac SW1-X can do it, but was hoping for something a bit cleaner.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Nice work... i've been in the industry in the past, i know what it takes to make it look and sound good without taking up too much space. Well done!

Since I dont have my GTO yet (waiting on the 05 myself), i figured i'd ask now... Where did you decide to run the signal wires to the back? In my current vehicle, i'm passing them directly down the middle under the carpet since I can use a shorter cable and it is away from any power wires for tail lights and such (which tend to introduce noise). Also, was the "factory" power cable for the factory amplifiers pretty small or satisfactory for use with a minor upgrade in power? (IE: Aftermarket amps, at most 400W RMS total.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts