LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally finished the grill delete that I have been working on for what seems like forever. I got the idea after seeing Midwest's car with the grills removed and thought it looked great but there was the problems of the grill mounting holes showing. My solution was to get another set of stock grills and removing the honeycomb from the outer ring. After dremeling out the honeycomb, sanding, sanding, and more sanding, priming and lastly the color coat they were ready to install. I think the look is pretty cool, what do you think? The car needs to be washed so please disregard and bug guts you may see!

StolenFox

·
burnout silver star award :)
2,166 Posts
very original. i think it looks nice. the only thing that would suck is cleaning the bugs out of there after a roadtrip.

·
Registered
215 Posts
looks good. If you're going to have them out, that is certainly the way to go. I had mine out for a few weeks and there was something that just seemed not right with them out so I ended up painting the stockers black and putting them back in. I think it looks much better on a color than on a black car though with them out.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
surfgzr1 said:
Gnarly look dude! Kinda NASCAR with the radiator showing.
Does this mean you like it or hate it?

03-04 Cobra(s) have no grills in the upper bumper cover opening so its not unheard of.

StolenFox

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
They work excellent as insert holders.

Enjoy and lookin good.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
weare138 said:
Let us know which makes it into there first: a dead bird or a discarded beer bottle
Well in the 15 years that ive been driving, not a single bird or beer bottle tossed by some a-hole has hit any of my cars. Thanks for wishing me luck though......

StolenFox

·
Belch
943 Posts
Ran my car without the inserts for a couple of weeks due to a problem fitting the SAP grilles. The car looked pretty interesting without them.

One thing I noticed is the huge amount of heat that comes out of the open grilles -- check it out the next time you park your car. The heat just pours and pours out.

Hope you like the finished result. That was a tremendous amount of work. Me? I decided to put the SAPs in after a while. That said, that's a pretty neat way of personalizing your car.

·
I like pie.
267 Posts
sorry but no...

Why?

·
Cosmos M6 - RIP PBM M6 -375hp
418 Posts
Very clean work, but I'm not sure how much I like it. It looks like something is missing from the car.:drink:

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Borsig said:
sorry but no...

Why?

Because:

Stock grills are lame and should have been recessed from the get go. Autocross grills are fantastic but the silver looks out of place on a Torrid Red car in my opinion. So auto x's: $200, paintwork to turn silver into red: another $250 equals too damn much for grills. And lastly, because I saw it on Midwest's car and thought it looked good and wouldn't get the idea out of my head until I built them.

StolenFox

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Harpo said:
Have you thought about dumping the lower grille insert as well? I have seen other cars running without it...

Interesting idea! Might have to see a pic to help decide......

StolenFox

·
Registered
421 Posts
I hit a bird going 100+, good thing i had my grills on, they wer freshly painted,
my friend was in his car (GTA) Behind me, he had his T-tops off and got some feathers in his car. it was funny

1 - 20 of 98 Posts