LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car grinds gears between 1st and second gear but mostly above 4000 rpm,so I decide to take it to the dealer.I notify them of some problems people are having,one in particular,the low fluid level.I pointed this one out in particular because I feel it's a problem internally with syncros or blocker rings.Well,I dropped the car off wednesday and they gave me some piece of garbage Nissan Altima(that is the worst).They called me today to tell me the car is low 2 1/2 quarts of trans fluid from the factory fill(like I didn't figure that one out).Next I asked if they were going to fix the trans.? they said they called GM and GM told them this is a unique problem they have not encountered yet on the GTO and they want me to meet with a GM rep. to discuss a resolution>I asked If they agreed I had a problem and they agreed they could not get it NOT to grind on the 1-2 shift above 4000rpm.So my point is,Why does Gm want me to discuss a resolution?Why not just fix the car?Do they want to tear the car down themselves?Do they want to call it abuse?Do they think this is normal?If I can't shift a GTO above 4000 rpm from 1-2 they hve no buisness in the performance market. ANY INPUT GUYS? thanks A nthony

·
Registered
6 Posts
I Hope You Don't Mind That This Is A Little Off The Subject, But This Might Clear Up Some Of Your Questions. I Had A Very Similar Problem With A 2002 745 Bmw (brand Spanking New). After Bringing The Car Back And Forth To The Dealer For A Transmission That Would Not Go Into Gear And Not Shift , They Finally Bought The Car From Me, And Made Me Sign Documents That I Would Not Disclose The InfoRMATION And Things Of That Sort. They Could Not Fix It. I WOULD THINK THAT IT WENT TO ENGINEERS TO TROUBLE SHOOT THE PROBLEM. Things Like This Have The Potential To Get Car Companies Into Hot Water With Consumers, Magazines, Etc..... I Am Not Trying To Bring You Down, Or Make You Think That This Is What Is Going To Happen, I Really Hope It Dosn't..........expect The Worst, Hope For The Best. I Hope This Is Helpfull To You
Good Luck.

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey loki427,You hit the nail on the head.This is exactly what I am thinking,but like you said,Hope for the best..I definitely think they want to get a hold of the car before the dealer massed with it and got rid of any tell tale signs.I don't blame anyone,it's only mechanical(I am a mechanic myself)But I only hope for them to do the right thing.I have to wait a couple weeks to meet a rep.,Thats my only quam,having to drive this grinding turd for a couple more weeks with no answers in sight.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Wow This gets back to my question from a couple weeks ago. It never got fully answered.The question was where to check the fluid level.At the reverse light switch or at the fill plug .In the manual it says the reverse light switch hole and so does the helms manual.My dealer said they called gm tech and was told the manual was wrong.Which meant I had overfilled it by 2 quarts (sounds like yours).So the dealer drained my fluid and refilled to the fill hole.I find it A little stiff when cold but better when warm. I actually thought it shifted better with the extra fluid.they filled it so they are responsible.I have had no grinding of gears.Gm may just put in a new trans for you as I have heard it is almost cheaper than rebuilding it,good luck and let us know what happens

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
4.6 Quarts

thinker said:
Wow This gets back to my question from a couple weeks ago. It never got fully answered.The question was where to check the fluid level.At the reverse light switch or at the fill plug .In the manual it says the reverse light switch hole and so does the helms manual.My dealer said they called gm tech and was told the manual was wrong.Which meant I had overfilled it by 2 quarts (sounds like yours).So the dealer drained my fluid and refilled to the fill hole.I find it A little stiff when cold but better when warm. I actually thought it shifted better with the extra fluid.they filled it so they are responsible.I have had no grinding of gears.Gm may just put in a new trans for you as I have heard it is almost cheaper than rebuilding it,good luck and let us know what happens
Whichever hole you find allows it to accept 4.4 to 4.6 quarts of Dexron III is the right hole. If it won't, it's the wrong hole. I posted the replies from Pontiac. The owner's manual is wrong number wise. The Helms is correct.

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fluid level

the dealer called gm and said REVERSE LIGHT SWITCH!!!!!!!! Mine was 2 1/2 low

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, My car finally went in today for a new tranny and slave cylinder.The Gm rep was a good guy but not at all mechanicly inclined.He did do his homework though,he drove 3 m6 cars before meeting with me.Got in my car and realized there was definitly a problem.My only problem is,Why does it take three weeks to tell me "ya theres a problem"Me and the dealer knew there was a problem from the start.Is this typical on how others are being treated as a guinea pig or is this just politics gone wrong?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey bone good luck.Your dealer called gm and they said reverse light switch hole .My dealer called gm and they said fill plug hole.Are we ever going to get a straight answer before all our m6's lock up on us

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thinker,I truely believe that is the reason they had to replace my tranny.The fluid was at the fill plug and I think they had to revise the fill level because they must have a different mount angle than in the past with f-body cars.I think the blocker rings went out due to low level but we will never know because the trannys are to stay sealed and the dealers will never know.So what I am saying Is that I will fill mine to the reverse switch hole and possibly have some fluid seeping than burn up more trannys in or out of warranty. Anthony

1 - 9 of 9 Posts