LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the car for a little over a week and I have noticed that under certain conditions that I am not totally able to recreate consistently, I get a slight grinding noise from mainly the right rear, but sometimes the right front as well. It sometimes sounds like wheel rub or a dragging brake drum (maybe the parking brake).

But its always when turning left, sometimes at full lock like in a parking lot but also some times when on the road at 50 MPH on a two lane back road going around a sweeping left hander.

I am a service manager for a Goodyear and have had the car up on the lift and cannot see anything physically wrong. Unless there is something internal that I cannot see without taking the wheels off etc. I just put it up on the lift and did a quick peak around last night before closing when the shop finally slowed down.

I heard about the shipping blocks in the springs, well unless they are invisible I dont see any.

Any thoughts? I really dont want to have to give up my baby so soon for warranty work.

·
Registered
198 Posts
is it only when you are accelerating? do you have aftermarket headers? and/or is it possible an exhaust component is rubbing on something.

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont even have 500 miles on the car. Its totally stock (well except for the iCAGS) and its not just when I accelerate. I hate to say it, but the noise sounds almost like the rear did in my Vette just before I had it rebuilt when the clutch pacs in the posi unit went south on me. But I cant imagine that a car that had 21 miles on it a week ago and barely over 400 now, none of which have been anywhere near abusive, would have a problem with the rear.

·
Registered
198 Posts
i'm not a mechanical person, but the thing that seems to regularly pop up (that sounds like this) is thrust bearing related. a search on ls1.com.au will yield quite a bit.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
I hear a similar noise, but only when I first start the car and start moving. It is not a LOUD noise, but noticeable. It's like a "grinding" or "humming" noise, maybe even an electric motor noise. I read somewhere on this forum that some service manager somewhere explained that it was the Anti-lock Brakes "calibrating" at start up. I accepted that and have not worried about the noise since. As I said, I only hear it when I first start the car and start moving, but the sound and location (right front) you described are similar.

If you find out something different, let me know!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts