LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
I hate you
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran my car at SDR in reynolds ga on Sept 29th. There was a nice white GT500 that came to the track. Had base decals on it, maybe someone from Robins AFB. This was the first time the guy took it to the track.

His first run (he arrived and went straight to the stagin' lanes) was a 14.2

I watched him run a few more times and the fastest I saw him run was a 13.4

He was still having trouble launching and he had a lot of wheel spin.

Not sure if anyone else was there...but VeeTec was there also...and someone with a Silver GTO that didn't socialize.

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
So he was apparently learning the car...what were the trap speeds?

BTW, IBTL

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
It takes a little time with any high powered car to learn to launch.

With DR's the GT500 should run low to mid 12's.

·
I hate you
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I hope yall didn't think I was bashin it, the dude just needs to learn the car. When he got traction...that thing MOVED.

I saw traps from 106 - 110

He was spinnin bad.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Didn't think you bashing it. but its misleading like 14's with an 05/06 GTO.

·
Z PoPo
668 Posts
I kept trying to line up next to him.:turbonaug

Never worked out though. I know the GT500 is way faster, but with his driving, I was pretty sure I could tree him, and get to the finish first.:gears:

BTW, I have videos of some of his runs.

I think I have some of yours too, but my wife was making them, so they are a bit shaky, with the kids and all.

I was watching one of mine, and I could hear her talking on the cell phone while she shot the video.:sneaky:

·
IKSWHTASOL
2,223 Posts
Looks like I went to SDR a week too early (9-22-06). I would have loved to see the new Mustang GT 500 up close and personal. At the risk of upsetting the haters, I think they are going to be formidable opponents for us as time goes by.

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
TA455 said:
Looks like I went to SDR a week too early (9-22-06). I would have loved to see the new Mustang GT 500 up close and personal. At the risk of upsetting the haters, I think they are going to be formidable opponents for us as time goes by.
i'm sorry but if we spend the money to get to the price of a gt500 they aren't formidable anything.

·
I ♥ U HRJ, ♥ ME 2
109 Posts
jamesbiz said:
i'm sorry but if we spend the money to get to the price of a gt500 they aren't formidable anything.
Care to try that logic regarding an '03/'04 Cobra? A car is a car, why try to use price as a justification for your/their car being slow? You can make a pinto faster than a ferrari, that doesn't mean you'd take the pinto if offered either. This is almost like people saying Cobra's cheat because they have a blower on them.
I digress........

Karl Marx was at the track that night. Karl Marx will offer this synopsis of that nights activites.
  • A red '05/'06 GTO beat an '03/'04 Cobra early on.
  • The same red Cobra beat a blue 350Z.
  • Numerous cars beat the GT500. The GT500 did beat a '93 Cobra by .2-.3, but Karl Marx later learned the Fox Cobra had damaged his trans. earlier that night.
  • The GT500 driver went from a 14.1 on his 1st run, down to 13.3 by the end of the night.
  • Insert a bunch of lame races here.....
  • There were 2 other GTO's there, but I didn't see them run.
  • A black '03/'04 Cobra was there and ran 11.5.
  • The red Cobra ran a 12.9 @ 113 near the end of the night. He claimed he was bone stock.
  • A really fast ass 'vette ran a 7.8 (I missed the trap speed)

As for this:
Cyclone Chris said:
gt500 = teh suck
You have been to the track a few times. This guy was on his 1st trip with the car. Your last time was 13.3 at the same track. This guy ran 13.3. With all your 'experience' and mods, you ran a best that was no better than his. Looks like the GT500 isn't the thing that is sucking.

·
Z PoPo
668 Posts
The same red Cobra beat a blue 350Z.
Yeah, I knew that was coming, but I will race anyone.:)

I was happy working down to a 13.2 on that track.

No doubt the GT500 is a 12 second car with a good driver.

·
Who me, no not me...
10,320 Posts
Karl Marx said:
I digress........

Karl Marx was at the track that night. Karl Marx will offer this synopsis of that nights activites.

You have been to the track a few times. This guy was on his 1st trip with the car. Your last time was 13.3 at the same track. This guy ran 13.3. With all your 'experience' and mods, you ran a best that was no better than his. Looks like the GT500 isn't the thing that is sucking.
:confused: Who is this guy? The unsociable guy in the silver GTO?:confused: I believe Milledgeville may be 1 patient short.

For what the GT500 is claiming, and the price that they are charging, it is teh suck

They had a convertible GT500 at Tri Star's grand opening in Tyrone and I believe it's best was about 413 RWHP. For the price tag of more than $75k, a Z06 vette is a MUCH better deal and offers so much more.

I will say that the GT500 had some nice features and caught my eye such as super wide wheels/tires and a factory supercharger but at the same time it still had the crappy Mustang interior that looked much like that of a V6 except for the 2-tone seats. If the car was priced right, mid to high $40s, I'd be much more accepting of it's shortcomings.

·
Still Here
160 Posts
6SPDGTO said:
For the price tag of more than $75k, a Z06 vette is a MUCH better deal and offers so much more.
Since when was the Shelby a $75,000 car? You're adding markups to the Shelby, and acting like that is the price of the car. The dealers markup doesn't change the real value of the car. It is a $45,000ish car. Also, don't forget: GM dealers are doing the same to the Z06. I recall seeing Z06's going for $20,000 over sticker.

So if the Shelby is a $75,000 car, I guess the 2004 GTO was a $44,000 car... That is the price local dealerships were looking for when they first came out. Give the car some time for the newness to wear off, and I promise they will sell for MSRP or less.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Anybody that thinks the Shelby is a slow car is crazy. They have already run 11.80s with just tires and I think they will go even faster. My 03 cobra went [email protected] when it was 4 days old and dead stock and the Shelby make alot more power. I know they are a little heavier but they will still run low 12s stock with a good driver.
they have also already run in the tens with bolt ons and slicks.

·
Registered
995 Posts
No one went 11.80's with just tires! They had exhaust, tuning and drag radials, ran [email protected] if I remember correctly!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Also, as far as the Zo6 vs. GT500 crap, the Zo6 is in a class above and beyond the GT500, you can't really compare the two. The way I see it, your paying extra money for a mustang that has a crappy interior, a little better looks and a little extra perf. and since it has Shelby's name on it, you pay the extra 15-20k over a GT and listen to people say "Oh just wait til I get a pulley, exhaust and tuning". SSDD!

·
Former GTO Owner
1,884 Posts
Nemisis said:
Also, as far as the Zo6 vs. GT500 crap, the Zo6 is in a class above and beyond the GT500, you can't really compare the two. The way I see it, your paying extra money for a mustang that has a crappy interior, a little better looks and a little extra perf. and since it has Shelby's name on it, you pay the extra 15-20k over a GT and listen to people say "Oh just wait til I get a pulley, exhaust and tuning". SSDD!
+1 :judge:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
It's all supply and demand. The same market forces (insufficient demand) that had GM slashing prices on GTOs are the same ones (insufficient supply) that allows Ford to ask for markups on the GT500.

Ford is expected to make 8,000 GT500s a year for a minimum of three years. I imagine they'll be available for sticker (or less) by next Summer. Some people here act like this is the only car in history to ever have a "Market Adjustment" tacked on by the dealer.

The car is well worth the sticker price, but there are always people that HAVE to have the first ones, regardless of price.

They will be serious performers with some mods in the hands of a decent driver and I expect will surpass the 03-04 Cobras in terms of moddable performance.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts