1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #561

·
Nurburgring GTO
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #562 (Edited)
UPDATE: 25 MAY 14

Greece to Dubrovnik

So Albania......Yeeeeaaahhh.....let me tell you something. If you are familiar with the British television show "Top Gear" you may have seen the episode when they visited Albania. I believe it was season 16 episode 3 and they did seem to make Albania look pretty bad. Well to be honest,it is pretty bad BUT the people are really nice and very proud. The roads are...uh..well they could use some work. But overall not as bad as Romania for sure !

I stopped to get gas once and they wanted to hear the LS2 rev a little before I drove off. So I did leaving the sound of MUURICA as I drove away,lol. It was the longest 6 hours or so of my life. The total drive from Greece to Croatia was closer to 13.5 or so.

It did get MUCH better once I got to Monte Negro and finished arguing with the boarder guard who was convinced my car documentation was fake. Now granted I understand he was doing his job but he wasn't event trying to hear it,lol. The M2 that we later got on and drove all the way to Dubrovnik was by far the best road I have driven in my life. almost 150 kilometers or so of perfection. Today is our first day in Dubrovnik and I took a few pics around town this afternoon.

Below are a mixture of pics between Greece and Dubrovnik this afternoon and nothing is in order.

PICS:

·
Nurburgring GTO
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #563
Pics Continued

·
Nurburgring GTO
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #564
Pics Continued

·
Nurburgring GTO
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #565 (Edited)
UPDATE: 29 MAY 14

Well I'm back in Italy but was too tired and busy with now preparing to move back I didn't update anything. Pics to come in a bit.

Croatia to Naples, Italy and a Ferrari 430 Scuderia in between

I didn't get too many pics of Dubrovnik the second day because we spent it chilling and doing non car related things. We left the next morning after a BANGING breakfast and checking our route. It took us through Bosnia and Slovenia (both of which for less than 15 kilometers but dammit that counts!).

The remaining drive was bitter sweet as we hit some rain and the reality of going to back to work started to set it in. We finally crossed the Italian boarder about 10 hours into the trip when I ran into a F430 Scuderia just outside of Bologna, Italy.

Quick Kill/Death with an F430 Scuderia:
Well I seen it in traffic cruising through the construction lane and didn't think anything of it. My girlfriend asks me "Do you think he'd do it" and I'm like "Probably not, I have yet to find one who is ever game". Well I was wrong as I casually pass him unnecessarily down shifting to 3rd, he switch lanes to be right behind me. I goose it to see if he took the bait since we are beginning to exit to construction zone and I can wait for him. The two lane work zone ends and opens up three wide and there is no one in front of us for a good ways. I look in the mirror and see HID head lights rise a bit and coming FAST. I down shift to third at about 3kish and we hit it.

We are neck and neck to my surprise! I look over and he is not only pissed but worried it looks like,lol. I grab forth and he starts to pull as we near the end of my rev range and about half way through his. As soon as I go to grab fifth BOOM and nothing from fifth or sixth gear…womp womp womp. At the time I didn’t realize something was wrong and figured I just missed it. We slow down to clearer section and hit it again from third. Neck and neck right off the bat only this time he shifts twice (had to be in 5th or 6th for him) as I grab forth he’s already pulling away. I try fifth and nothing with the same result from 6th gear. So now my pride is a bit hurt AND my car is broken…boooooo. No worries though, I limped it home the last six hours consuming a little more fuel than usual (at 2.5-3k RPM)

Needless to say I’m happy the car ships in a few days .

The end of "GTO Europe Adventures"

Outside of my kill/death (mostly double death) nothing exciting to report but I do have a few pictures. I will post them as soon as I get some time today or tomorrow. This officially closes my chapter of Europe and the Adventures the GTO has taken here. I hope that this thread will help motivated others to take grand trips with their cars (GTO or not) and share it with the world. I am by no means rich (neither is my G/F) so don’t let anything stop you. Get a great running car, some money for gas, and figure out the rest when you get there.

Trip statistics:

80 hours driving (give or take)
4700 miles traveled
22 days in the car (with stops in between of course)
We covered 15 different countries and various town and cities.

America was built on the car and at one time was also very well-travelled by the car. I fully intend on continuing this thread or start a new one under a different name. It will be titled “GTO America Adventures” or simply “GTO America” but we will see.

·
06 Cyclone GTO
3,494 Posts
That's awesome Bob! Now you get to get use to driving in America again. lol

·
Nurburgring GTO
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #567
That's awesome Bob! Now you get to get use to driving in America again. lol
Yeah,complete with angry ticketing Highway Patrol and all,lol.

·
Muck Fichigan!!
3,214 Posts
What a great thread. Loved seeing your pics and following you through your journey. Thanks for sharing and have a safe trip back!

·
Nurburgring GTO
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #569
What a great thread. Loved seeing your pics and following you through your journey. Thanks for sharing and have a safe trip back!
Thanks, I intend to continue it when I get back.

·
Track "Que" Dog
219 Posts
Enjoyed this thread immensely. Haven't had a chance to see all of the pics but plan to do so when time allows. My wife always gets mad about me being destination focused (I usually just want to get there) anytime we travel. That's why it takes her 2 days to get to Miami and it takes me 9.5hrs. She has also enjoyed the pics. I'll have to make a point of treating her to a journey that isn't so point A to point B focused, especially as we start getting more of the kids out of the house and on their own.
Thanks again for sharing...

·
Nurburgring GTO
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #571
Enjoyed this thread immensely. Haven't had a chance to see all of the pics but plan to do so when time allows. My wife always gets mad about me being destination focused (I usually just want to get there) anytime we travel. That's why it takes her 2 days to get to Miami and it takes me 9.5hrs. She has also enjoyed the pics. I'll have to make a point of treating her to a journey that isn't so point A to point B focused, especially as we start getting more of the kids out of the house and on their own.
Thanks again for sharing...
No problem Pappy, I hope to help motivate more people to get out and see things and share them as well.

·
Wol Gemut
3,235 Posts
This is indeed an awesome thread. Do you know what that statue depicts? an event from history or literature? or simply a lovely female form?

·
Nurburgring GTO
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #573
This is indeed an awesome thread. Do you know what that statue depicts? an event from history or literature? or simply a lovely female form?
Which statue are you reffering to ?

·
Nurburgring GTO
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #575
Woodland Nymph and the faun I believe,I don't remember the story.

·
Nurburgring GTO
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #576
Update: 30 JUL 14

I guess the adventure is still going ( at least for the car) because it's going to be a month late. :-(

·
06 Cyclone GTO
3,494 Posts
The GTO is playing on the Autobahn right now, and didn't have the heart to tell you. lol

·
Nurburgring GTO
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #578

·
Nurburgring GTO
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #579

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Hi Bob,

Great that you're back publishing your adventures. :) What a pain that you got stuck on the side of the road (5 hours!!!??). I missed that you installed an LS3 somehow and do you only have a white fender on one side, or is that also a white hood? WTF Dude?

Still need to get mine registered in CA and sell it. :(

561 - 580 of 585 Posts