LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mughal Empire
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GTO under the knife speakers & woofers mounted

Installed
Boston Acoustics 6.5 in the front (components)
MB Quarts 5 1/4 in the middle (not components)
8 inch Kicker competition in the rear deck
4 channel phoenix gold on mids and highs, 2 channel PG on the woofers
all pictures at http://www.mughals.kicks-ass.net:5190/Pics/Cars/2004 GTO/Audio pics/audio pics2/
Details on installation and procedures coming soon.

The components (mids) and (highs) sound great “very clear”. I can hear every instrument playing independently. A good sound system is when you can hear every note playing in low volume because you can always hear instruments/music when its loud. These new speakers sound great even when I don’t want to turn them up and when I turn them up they scream without any distortion. The only problem was mounting the woofers. I am still working on this. I have Kicker competition free air and you have to follow the following procedure or the bass does not kick as hard as it should. I will have pictures after I am done with the woofers.

Infinite Baffle Mounting
The infinite baffle or freeair mounting method is very effective in a sedan type
of vehicle. The easiest way to do this is to cut out the parcel shelf just big
enough for your chosen driver(s). The parcel shelf is usually not very strong and
any flexing will decrease the bass response. To reinforce this area and to give you
something to mount the woofer(s) to, a piece of strong wood needs to be cut
and mounted to the bottom of the shelf. We recommend a medium to high
density fiberboard (MDF or HDF) 3/4" thick. Common particle board is not very
good for use in a car stereo. If a good grade of fiberboard is not available in your
area, use a good grade of marine plywood.
The key factor in utilizing the freeair method is to make sure the information
coming off the back of the woofer doesn’t have a chance to mix with the information
coming off the front. If the front and back are not sealed from each
other a big part of the bass will get cancelled out.

http://www.kicker.com/images/manuals/03CompManual_R032904.pdf

·
Registered
607 Posts
cool, wish I had seen these a few weeks ago :) Glad to see someone else take the plunge. How does she sound?

·
Mughal Empire
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
josephra said:
cool, wish I had seen these a few weeks ago :) Glad to see someone else take the plunge. How does she sound?

The components (mids) and (highs) sound great “very clear”. I can hear every instrument playing independently. A good sound system is when you can hear every note playing in low volume because you can always hear instruments/music when its loud. These new speakers sound great even when I don’t want to turn them up and when I turn them up they scream without any distortion. The only problem was mounting the woofers. I am still working on this. I have Kicker competition free air and you have to follow the following procedure or the bass does not kick as hard as it should. I will have pictures after I am done with the woofers.

Infinite Baffle Mounting
The infinite baffle or freeair mounting method is very effective in a sedan type
of vehicle. The easiest way to do this is to cut out the parcel shelf just big
enough for your chosen driver(s). The parcel shelf is usually not very strong and
any flexing will decrease the bass response. To reinforce this area and to give you
something to mount the woofer(s) to, a piece of strong wood needs to be cut
and mounted to the bottom of the shelf. We recommend a medium to high
density fiberboard (MDF or HDF) 3/4" thick. Common particle board is not very
good for use in a car stereo. If a good grade of fiberboard is not available in your
area, use a good grade of marine plywood.
The key factor in utilizing the freeair method is to make sure the information
coming off the back of the woofer doesn’t have a chance to mix with the information
coming off the front. If the front and back are not sealed from each
other a big part of the bass will get cancelled out.

http://www.kicker.com/images/manuals/03CompManual_R032904.pdf

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tail and Tips

I have my stock mufflers in my shed and if you need the tail and tip let me know where to cut them off so I can send them to you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts