LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do the headlights look like when they are turned on. Pontiac noted that they were Projector Beam Headlamps. Whats so special about Projector Beam head lamps. Arent they in pretty much every car? Are they brighter than normal. Do they look similar to xenons or HIDs. This is one thing im unfamiliar with.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Correction, most cars DO NOT have projector lights. Most cars have standard halogen capsule bulbs in a flush composite housing.

Your standard Halogen bulbs just light the entire area in front of the bulb. It requires either the lens or the housing behind it to refract the light in certain patterns to aim the light where you want it.

A projector beam does exactly that, projects the light out. Similar to a movie projector. It does this by having a strong halogen beam which is a widely focused beam that carries over a greater distance down low along the horizon.

Personally, I am not a fan of projector lighting. For regular low beam driving, I do not like the low/horizonal beam it projects. I like everything in front of the vehicle lit. A regular halogen light does this much better. I'm one of those that would rather flood the area in front of me with light than just focus it sooo far ahead and leave everything in your peripheral vision dark.

One of the first aesthetic mods on my Camaro was to remove the stock projector beam driving lights for a much more powerful, better regular driving light. The stock lights were virtually useless.

Here is a perfect example of what I'm getting at;
http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/LampSelectionGuide.html

·
Registered
63 Posts
CMNTMXR57,
I agree totally with your comments above on lighting, good link also. Do you know what type the lower lights in the front fascia are! If they are halogen fog lights wouldn't they fill in the areas you mentioned? The lighting on my 98 Grand Prix was sub par until changes were made and I'm hoping the lighting on the GTO is much improved from that.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I take my lighting seriously. :D

The driving lights on the GTO look to be a normal halogen style lamp with a replacement capsule bulb. Since they fit flush with the curvature of the front bumper, it may be difficult to replace the whole lamp with an aftermarket unit. Our only option may be to just replace the bulb with a more powerful one. However, once I get mine, I will definetely investigate further. I do not however want to damage or drastically alter this car (as I had to on my Camaro) to fit the lights. If it comes to this, I'll simply replace the bulbs.

What is key, is that you have to mix and match your lights to get the desired effect you are seeking. In the case of the Camaro, it's low beams and high beams are regular halogen bulbs in a housing that does all the refracting for them. As such, it lights up a lot of space right in front of the car and to the sides (peripheral vision). KNowing this, when I went PIAA shopping, I chose to go with a long distance driving light to gain the distance I wanted. It also had to fit the housing and that was the challenge.

I went with a light similar to this (they don't make the one I have anymore) but it performs the same;

So essentially, the long range PIAA's give me the distance I want and my factory headlights (with PIAA bulbs and on top of which they're all wired to stay on when the high beams are on) give me the frontal coverage and peripheral vision I like.

Now, on this GTO, it looks to be the opposite. The headlights are projector lamps in which case I'll let them do the long distance lighting and I'll concentrate on getting the driving lights to give me the frontal coverage and peripheral I like. That's how it looks now. This could all change once I find out how they work in the night once I get the car.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I remove those for optimum nighttime illumination! :D

I have pictures on my PC at home that I can upload. And the ones I posted ARE NOT the ones I have. I think they were a 1000x series light. They were more powerful, but were a more ovalish styled light. They however were the same style of long range driving beam.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My Current Car has massive Bulbs in it.
The Bulbs are H4's, but I have 95/135 WATT bulbs in them.
Then I also have a set of PIAA 1552 Driving Lights. These are awesome. There is little to nothing that i CAN'T Light-up!

I hope I can get my GTO set up this nice, without burning stuff up! :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
cvp33 said:
Tails' last new car had some very aggressive lamps.
We're talking serious candle watts.
Naw those are the old models. I've updated to propane now!!

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Now your cooking with gas!!!

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Well, ok, ya got me there!

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Grrr, all my pics are too big and I'm too lazy right now to resize them. :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
i noticed while driving the GTO that Yes, the lights do shine OUTWARD to the Sides more than it goes Straight Outwards. Theres almost not enough light far enough ahead of this car since its going so fast. The Brights though, OMG, talk about BRIGHT, these things Eluminate very well creating a perfect wall of light wide and very far ahead of you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
danny760 said:
i noticed while driving the GTO that Yes, the lights do shine OUTWARD to the Sides more than it goes Straight Outwards. Theres almost not enough light far enough ahead of this car since its going so fast. The Brights though, OMG, talk about BRIGHT, these things Eluminate very well creating a perfect wall of light wide and very far ahead of you.
That's great! With my 98 GTP the highbeam lights were not the best and had to be improved! Hey Danny how much sleep did you get last night? :D Thanks for the info!

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Looks like I will definetely looking into improving the driving lights then to get that distance I want.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Every new vehicle I ever had (except an 81 Toyota pickup) suffered from varied degrees of headlight mis-adjustment. The 96 Vette - I didn't check before being on the road at dusk - was downright dangerous as it came from the factory. One light in the trees and the other down about 10 feet in front. I take the proper tool(s) and get on a straight, lightly travelled road at night where I proceed to adjust the lights until I can see the best. There is never any "flashing" from oncoming traffic like you get when your dims are offensive, and I can see as well as the lighting equipment will allow.

Also, I had the dealer check the lights before I picked up my last new vehicle (Silverado). He said they were "off a little". Whoa! When I checked them at night they resembled the Vette ones. WTF? Dealer had supposedly put his adjustment machine on them. I think maybe it needs recalibration, maybe?

I guess what I'm saying is be sure your factory lights are optimally adjusted. You may be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I think that the low beams don't work very well. I watched as I pulled up to my garage door last night. They don't really light up the door until you get fairly close, and it's not because they are pointed down. I am going to try raising them just a little to see if it helps. The brights however, are incredible. LIke aircraft landing lights.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts