LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Silver Blur
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently in a severe car accident with a 2004 gto i got hit in the rear spun out doing 65 mph on a highway the reason i spun out is because a rx8 hit my back bumper and spun me out anyway i hit a cement medium head on and no air bag deployment anyway i was wondering who else has been in a bad car accident with a 2004 GTO i know 1 other member was anybody else please let me know i believe the airbags are faulty or not even hooked up i plan on contacting GM/PONTIAC devision and most likely filing suit because of the no air bag i got a broken nose because the mirror hit me in the nose :rolleyes:

·
Resident Sheriff
4,691 Posts
1 Post on this subject is more then enough.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Air bags arn't implied to be used in every collision, seat belts are always supposed to be used.

There is a list of critera the computer needs to see for air bag deployment, seat belt being used for one (you were wearing your seat belt right?), seat position, speed etc.

Though it is starting to get qustionable, normally with a typical GM car the airbags go off even in minor accidents. Why don't you express your concerns with GM customer assistance line or email them. They are quite pro active on emails as i've found.

·
Registered
278 Posts
As a paramedic for the past 15 years I can tell you that airbags are designed to only deploy in certain circumstances. In the case of a rear end collision you will very rarely see a air bag deployment because air bags are not designed to deploy in those circumstances. The fact that you hit a median may or may not have been enough of an impact to indicate deployment. The other fact that may be interesting is that air bags frequently cause injuries far greater than a broken nose. They deploy at a tremendous speed and are intended to save lives (which they do) not to prevent all injuries. Your nose was not broken due to a lack of air bag deployment it was broken because of the person who rear-ended you at highspeed. I am always amazed by folks who want to blame the manufacuter instead of the negligent party who caused the injury. Frankly you should be happy to have suffered a minor injury rather than a serious, life threatening injury.

Food for thought.

Tom

·
Registered
856 Posts
1badgto said:
I was recently in a severe car accident with a 2004 gto i got hit in the rear spun out doing 65 mph on a highway the reason i spun out is because a rx8 hit my back bumper and spun me out anyway i hit a cement medium head on and no air bag deployment anyway i was wondering who else has been in a bad car accident with a 2004 GTO i know 1 other member was anybody else please let me know i believe the airbags are faulty or not even hooked up i plan on contacting GM/PONTIAC devision and most likely filing suit because of the no air bag i got a broken nose because the mirror hit me in the nose :rolleyes:
Were you racing the rx8?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Liquorice said:
Were you racing the rx8?
I hope not! - how bad would things have to be going for the RX to be anywhere near his rear bumper?

·
Registered
856 Posts
tmac4468 said:
I hope not! - how bad would things have to be going for the RX to be anywhere near his rear bumper?
Agree.... Maybe if was the Ricer fly-by gone bad.

·
Puppy Power!!
1,693 Posts
Old thread, but....

If you hit the mirror, it was not a head on collision. The front of the car may have hit the cement median flush but the cars momentum was not straight at the median. If you would have hit the median straight on, you would have hit the steering wheel, if the air bag had not deployed.

My guess is since you were thrown forward and to the side, you would have hit towards the side of the airbag. A friend had this happen, the airbag hit him more in the left shoulder and twisted his body and actually pushed him towards the passenger seat. It messed up his back pretty bad.

Bob

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Plus it's in the wrong section.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts