LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, how has it not popped up here that there was a GTO racing yesterday in the Grand Am race? I didn't even catch if it was in GT or SGS - but I heard them say it was to the new rules of next year so it was basically just a race test for it. Any more info from anybody around here?
Dan

·
Registered
367 Posts
I had to leave before I could finish watching the race, but when I did last see it, the Horizon Motorsports GTO was 3rd in GT. Finished 6th in class, 17th of 39 (I think) overall. Wish I could have watched more, but I ended up watching my buddy drive in a Porsche driving school with his Impala SS. I saw 2 Ferrari F-40 race cars that were selling rides for charity, a Ferrari 360 Modena, a couple Porsche GT2's, a few GT3's, and a bunch of Turbo's. Serious horsepower fest

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
The Horizon GTO is pretty far from a stocker. Tubular frame, different powertrain, etc.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mistermike said:
The Horizon GTO is pretty far from a stocker. Tubular frame, different powertrain, etc.
Yep - but I still have to root for anybody upholding the GTO/ Monaro racing name!
Dan

·
Mister Muscular
131 Posts
Thanks for bringing this up. I was going to request a section for this car in the Racing forum. I enjoyed seeing the Horizon Motorsports LLC GTO (GT class) at Barber yesterday. As Bob P. said, it was doing very well in class but fell back to 8th or so during driver change. Then it battled back to 6th.

One of the best parts of the entire race was watching it battle the #6 Corvette. Originally it had been leading the 'Vette, then it fell back, but then it put a ton of pressure on the car for about five or six straight laps. I said to both of my companions that it was probably only a matter of time before the Corvette was pressured into a mistake. True enough, I believe it was in turn 3 that the Corvette spun out and the GTO took back the position. It was a very rainy day in Birmingham and the racing was great.

I was granted full access to the Horizon Motorsports paddock area after the race (great guys! and they were interested to hear about LS1GTO.com--I had my logo shirt on!) and will put some pictures and a bit of video up tomorrow. My wife got both of the driver's autographs, and sure enough, driver Frank Del Vecchio was telling us about playing with the Corvette's mirrors to try to force him into a mistake.

[Edited to say] Sorry, I guess this was shown live. I'm used to SPEED preempting Grand Am races for NASCAR, so I misread the Grand Am Cup broadcast on 10/24 as a tape delay repeat for this race.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The GTO is a tube chassis/composite body to the 2005 Grand Am prep 2 specs. In simple terms it has to look exactly like a show room car on the outside, doors, hood, trunk must open, and some pretty strict rules with essentially a stock LS6 motor.

Great hot rod. Gives the foreign brands a fit.

Put www.horizon-motorsports.com on your favorites. This site will keep the GTO fans up to date on the doings. :cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
After watching both the Bathurst 24 Hour race and various Nations cup races at the Aussie F1 GP and other tracks, I always walk away with a Woody a pitbull could not get its teeth into. Watching Peter Brock in the 427 car lead from turn 1 to the flag against the best Europe has to offer reaal does show the Monaro/GTO to be a world beater.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
JentsProducts said:
...I always walk away with a Woody a pitbull could not get its teeth into...
Remind me not to test that theory. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts