LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
page 132
They used a stock GTO to runs dyno tests of this race cooler set up. What race cooler is a (fire retardent) pouch that has straps that go around the injector rails to hold the pouch that you install a large reusable ice pack in (2 supplied). It cools the intake manifold and you can leave it on all day at the track if you wish.

After doing back to back dyno runs without cooling time the GTO ran 265rwhp, trying to simulate a real world senario. Simply installing the race cooler dyno showed 285rwhp. After a 30 minute cool down and a fresh ice pack 315rwhp 330rwtq. all stock.

Maybe i'll bring some R22 refigerant to the track next time and spray down the intake manifold :rolleyes: I wouldnt' do something so irresponsible, but it would build frost on the intake manifold :gr_jest:

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
I've seen some guys use nitrous bottles to chill the engine at the track. Not something i'd consider safe IMO, but thats not to say you couldnt get compressed CO2 and do the same thing. It would probably be cheeper also, and you can get it at anyplace that sells paintball supplies.

I'm thinking that much of a gain on the dyno is really unusual. The air charge is hardly heated at all by the intake manifold. Heck, the manifold isnt even metal and retains little heat and at higher engine speeds the air is moving through at such a speed the radiant heat in the manifold would quickly drop. I'm thinking the main thing to keep away from heat is the intake itself and more so the intake temp sensor which is in charge of ignition retard when temps rise. Both are located directly behind the radiator which is no doubt a hot spot in the engine bay.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Yea, i've seen that... Not real fond of the huge blockade the system makes in the intake pipe in order to lower intake temps. Not much of a tradeoff for power IMO. Now have it spraying CO2 directly on the intake pipe or towards the manifold while making a drag run it might work decent but probably not so much better to offset the cost and weight.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Interesting. Better off just putting the goat on the juice. Enjoy the cooling effect of N20 and the push of power when you need it.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
We are talking more about chilling the intake air below ambient.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts