LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Yes my name is Holden
508 Posts
Thank you Eric. As a retired draftsman my brain Does respond to visual much faster than the "riten" word! Thanks again, Bob Jr.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Awesome! Thank you!

·
Banned
115 Posts
welp... next thing to buy after my build..
Sucks having only 1 key

·
Member of the 500+ RWHP Club!
2,408 Posts
This should go into Knowledge Base ..It helps a lot...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Fantastic. Need to do mine this week. Does this make the existing key fob null and void?

·
Registered
120 Posts
No. You can program as many as you'd like.
Can not use a pre-programmed fob.
Ok, I'm a bit confused here. I've got two key fobs. Both have cracked buttons. I've ordered replacement ones from GM (still on the packages). I'll need to do the sequence in the video for each I'm assuming....

My question is once I'm done will just the two new fobs work, or will the two original ones still work?

·
1 of 40,757
6,424 Posts
You'll be fine.. Program as many new fobs as you like.
My point was, not specific to you, that you can not buy a used fob and program it to a different car.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You'll be fine.. Program as many new fobs as you like.
My point was, not specific to you, that you can not buy a used fob and program it to a different car.
Excellent, Thnx

·
Need To Drive More
1,472 Posts
Bookmarked. Thanks again.

·
GR-RRR!
5,675 Posts
Another thing to be aware of which was kind of touched on already: a new fob can only be programmed to one car one time. This means, if you screw up during the programming process (say, miss a step) the fob is trash and you have to get a new one and start over. So, be sure to set aside ample time, 30+ minutes, to get this done as it happens and don't get distracted doing other stuff. I programmed a timer on my phone so it would go off about 30 seconds prior to each step completing so I'd be ready to do the off-on step just as soon as the horn beeped each time. I just did this a few weeks ago and it worked just fine.

And make sure your car battery is fully charged and in good shape before you start.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Another thing to be aware of which was kind of touched on already: a new fob can only be programmed to one car one time. This means, if you screw up during the programming process (say, miss a step) the fob is trash and you have to get a new one and start over. So, be sure to set aside ample time, 30+ minutes, to get this done as it happens and don't get distracted doing other stuff. I programmed a timer on my phone so it would go off about 30 seconds prior to each step completing so I'd be ready to do the off-on step just as soon as the horn beeped each time. I just did this a few weeks ago and it worked just fine.

And make sure your car battery is fully charged and in good shape before you start.
I would also recommend just hooking up a battery charger to the car while programming. Just added a fob to my car, it got a little low halfway through the procedure and only beeped once, two times in a row. Once I hooked up the charger I was able to start the procedure over and it worked.

·
Registered
120 Posts

I've got a wind up egg timer that'll have as backup. The car is in the garage under my master bedroom, I should be able to hear the horn

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would also recommend just hooking up a battery charger to the car while programming. Just added a fob to my car, it got a little low halfway through the procedure and only beeped once, two times in a row. Once I hooked up the charger I was able to start the procedure over and it worked.
Car is always on a battery tender when it's in the garage, but good thinking

Thank you

·
1 of 40,757
6,424 Posts
I had an experience where either I missed the honk or something went awry.. I gave up and drove home only to have the horn honk while driving. I pulled over and continued the sequence.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had an experience where either I missed the honk or something went awry.. I gave up and drove home only to have the horn honk while driving. I pulled over and continued the sequence.
Your neighbors must've loved that, LOL

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
Couple of notes here-
First, there is a limit to how many remotes can be programmed to a single vehicle. Not positive but I think it's four, after that any additional ones you program will overwrite one already in memory.
Second, if the only thing wrong with your remote is worn buttons there is no reason to replace it just for that. Just get a set of these-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holden-Commodore-Key-Remote-Buttons-2-Black-Sets-/260821611194?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cba2df2ba&vxp=mtr&rmvSB=true

·
WOT's Up Doc?
2,531 Posts
Couple of notes here-
First, there is a limit to how many remotes can be programmed to a single vehicle. Not positive but I think it's four, after that any additional ones you program will overwrite one already in memory.
Second, if the only thing wrong with your remote is worn buttons there is no reason to replace it just for that. Just get a set of these-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holden-Commodore-Key-Remote-Buttons-2-Black-Sets-/260821611194?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cba2df2ba&vxp=mtr&rmvSB=true
Wait a minute! What are those?

Keyless fobs?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts